Arshavins agent ''confirms'' Arsenal move.

Re: Arshavins agent ''confirms'' Arsenal move.

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:18 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:Our record is a reason why we need a new CB, too many goals allowed, can you not see that? Like I said before, with our injuries and uncertainty of a couple of players, we need to fill about 3 positions, either for starters or backups. Another wide player, a CDM, and at least one great CB. I know thats not realistic all at once, but I think thats what we need. And if everyone including Rosicky comes back fit and to form, then we have a really great squad me thinks.

Yes of course I can see that but I blame it on the lack of DM not on the CBs.
When we've conceded goals recently people have pointed the finger at our CBs but often there wasn't much they could've done about the goals.
As I said a few months ago, of the 8 goals we'd conceded up to that point 6 of them were scored from outside the area i.e. in front of the back four - just where the DM is SUPPOSED to be.

I'm not saying the CBs are flawless but they're the same two that did well last year and the only thing that's changed is the lack of DM in front of them. They didn't suddenly become talentless.
Bad form is only temporary in relation to Kolo.

Good point, and that is part of the problem, I still think we need both. Another reason for our bad defensive form is our offense. We havent' been controlling the play and keeping possesion as much this year either, that instantly effects our defense.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Irish_Gooner » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:21 pm

Id welcome Arshavin with open arms. Dont care about the price. If our attack continues to flourish it might cover up the defensive frailties
Irish_Gooner - Once a gooner, always a gooner. Follow me on twitter @Oisgreg
Irish_Gooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby ScottishLass » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:44 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
ScottishLass wrote:Theres only one big long thing on my mind just now so I wont be posting yet, I'll be back on once I come home to leave my take on this though Inchy ;).

Is that the same big long thing that I'm looking at here?
:sneaky2:

Unfortunately ( or forunately? :o ) no. :P;) ..

On the CB thing - You say we have plenty cover at CB - Absolutely none of which ( from what i've seen ) can defend arielly. All our CB's are pretty much exactly the same person lol. Tweety, Toure, Gallas, Djourou all possess the same qualities. In my opinion a football team should have alternating CB's - One who is going to come and claim everything and give it the ' if in doubt ' attitude, the other CB is the more cultured kind that can pass the ball about etc. Comparison's always get made with our CB's and Man Utd's and I'm going to keep the trend going lol. Vidic = Get it to f**k attitude and Rio = The more methodical defender ( apparently :sneaky: ). I just dont like any of our CB partnerships atall unfortunately . What do you think about having 2 different types of defenders? Similair ones dont seem to work in my opinion.
ScottishLass
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:07 pm

gzagee wrote:ManUre went the last two seasons without a 'big tall target man'.
We won in 03/04 with Kanu in backing up.
We only need one big target man, the way we play isn't really all about whipping in crosses from the wings for our strikers to put their heads on it.
Indeed, I'd say all we need are for a widemen to put in pinpoint crosses or centres for our forwards to get on the end of. Ade/Bendy aren't all that great at heading anyway. They're okay but not your Shearer's or Dogbra's.

I see what you mean about Manure but I meant big OR tall rather than big AND tall if you get me. I would class Rooney as big because he's so strong, he provides the muscle up front against the more physical teams.
If we lose Ade or Bendy then partnerships like Vela and RVP or Theo and RVP are just going to get squashed by the stronger teams.

Speaking of crossing we seem to be doing a hell of a lot of that lately and innacurately too. Ade and Bendy are both decent in the air, not as good as Dogbreath but then who is?

ScottishLass wrote:
Inchpractice wrote:
ScottishLass wrote:Theres only one big long thing on my mind just now so I wont be posting yet, I'll be back on once I come home to leave my take on this though Inchy ;).

Is that the same big long thing that I'm looking at here?
:sneaky2:

Unfortunately ( or forunately? :o ) no. :P ;) ..

:disgust:

ScottishLass wrote:On the CB thing - You say we have plenty cover at CB - Absolutely none of which ( from what i've seen ) can defend arielly. All our CB's are pretty much exactly the same person lol. Tweety, Toure, Gallas, Djourou all possess the same qualities. In my opinion a football team should have alternating CB's - One who is going to come and claim everything and give it the ' if in doubt ' attitude, the other CB is the more cultured kind that can pass the ball about etc. Comparison's always get made with our CB's and Man Utd's and I'm going to keep the trend going lol. Vidic = Get it to f**k attitude and Rio = The more methodical defender ( apparently :sneaky: ). I just dont like any of our CB partnerships atall unfortunately . What do you think about having 2 different types of defenders? Similair ones dont seem to work in my opinion.

You're right they are all similar in build and height and style but as I said before they're the same guys who only conceded 31 goals last season which is not terrible. It's 9 more than Manure did admittedly but would a new guy improve on that?
Djourou has the height that the others don't have and he'll be ready for first team starts soon.
I just don't see the point in getting another CB unless they are better than Gallas and two foot taller. There aint many of them that we can afford!
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby whee » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:30 pm

How did Arshavin talks end up onto CB partnerships?
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby gzagee » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:35 pm

whee wrote:How did Arshavin talks end up onto CB partnerships?

I think that was Iggie's fault (Igmalian) saying summats about taking Upson in exchange for £5m and Bendy.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby whee » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:43 pm

What sort of comment was that?

Surely that's worthy of a banning?!?!
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Igmalian » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:05 am

whee wrote:What sort of comment was that?

I just said I thought it was a good deal! So ban me!! :arse fan:
To Alcohol!! The cause of and solution to all of life's problems!!
Igmalian
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby whee » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:09 am

It would be about as good a deal as the one Spurs got with Defoe.

A god awful one.

:D
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Inchpräctice » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:16 am

whee wrote:What sort of comment was that?

I'll get right on to it. ;)
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Bristol_Gunner » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:43 am

abck onto arshavin...

im kinda looking forward to seeing if he comes and seeing how he does. I mean although it would be nice to have arshavin at the club and to see how he plays. though i would like to see some money spent of deffnece. Thier and probably under 12 teams with a more solid deffence than ours.
Bristol_Gunner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby gzagee » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:13 am

Arsenal on verge of £10million Andrei Arshavin signing - exclusive

By Darren Lewis 7/01/2009

Euro 2008 star Andrei Arshavin was last night on the verge of signing for Arsenal in a cut-price £10million deal.

The 27-year-old playmaker arrived for talks with Gunners chiefs at London’s Landmark hotel with his wife Yulia at lunchtime yesterday.

Arsene Wenger is ready to offer Arshavin a three-year deal as his club Zenit St Petersburg concede they can no longer command the unrealistic £20m they had been demanding with the player’s desperation to quit the club so well documented.

Zenit last night confirmed talks were underway and Arshavin’s agent Dennis Lachter said: "It’s like that famous movie ‘show me the money’ (Jerry Maguire). It’s just like that. The appetite of Zenit is huge. If they realise times have changed then the Andrei move (to Arsenal) could be very possible."

Arshavin had even threatened to buy himself out of his contract earlier this week because Zenit wanted so much for him even though he is not eligible for the latter stages of the Champions League.

Signing Arshavin will finally appease frustrated Arsenal fans who had been angered by Wenger’s stubborn loyalty to his youngsters and his refusal to dip into the millions available to him at the Emirates.

Arshavin’s versatility will also be a massive asset to the north Londoners as he can play as a second striker, an attacking midfielder or as a winger - all areas in which Arsenal have been weakened by injury.

He was a key player as Zenit stormed to the Russian League title and the UEFA Cup last year and was nominated for European Footballer of the Year.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... -21021457/
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby ArsenesRedandWhite » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:13 am

If we need another big player why not The big black guy with the hair from Sunderland, Jones?

Some say he's the best in the leauge (even in those some--one quits his job cuz his players suck and he's a sore loser!) He's good enough for Villa and they've done than we have(the table doesn't lie).

We should just try and buy all of Villa's players. Let Usmanov donate massive amounts so we can offer all of them double their current salaries to play for Arsenal. Then we need someone to put The Browns owner in a coma so he can't spend money to fix Villa's small squad. But then he couldn't fix my miserable Browns... Nope Let Wenger fix his mess. I guess it's not really a mess, more of a puddle, or a splash. Let him wipe up the milk dripping from the cereal bowl. :choccake: :sundae: :cloud9: time to eat
ArsenesRedandWhite
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby ArsenesRedandWhite » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:16 am

For 10 million I would love Arshavin. Seems a bargain with the way players are priced now. And with our injuries he could get used and tested right away. Then summer to rest and back into the thick of it to do wonderfully next year.
ArsenesRedandWhite
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby waisman » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:31 am

It seems to be coming from enough sources now that we're likely to get him. And £10m is a pretty sweet deal... still no defensive player though which is a bit worrying, AW said himself he wanted to sign one in the summer but couldn't find the right player, and if we make this buy I doubt we'll have the money for another big signing.
waisman
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

PreviousNext

Return to Famous past threads