The Manager Referendum

Unai REMAINERS (IN)
10%
Unai LEAVERS (OUT)
90%

Total votes : 105

Re: Emery Out

Postby Rockape » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:27 am

Some were still convinced Emery was the right man for the job and his weak areas were being overlooked and posters ridiculed like you have said.

I don't recall anyone being convinced the Emery was the right man for the job. When he arrived, he immediately instilled some steel into the team and as a result we seemed to have more confidence and played well. However it was too soon to judge. We then had the end of season meltdown, not helped by losing key players, but extremely worrying all the same. Still too soon to judge, as you can't sack a manager for one run of games like that, you have to give them the benefit of the doubt and a chance to rectify.

The start of the season saw us operate without key players, but we rode our luck and ground out some reasonable results. It wasn't what we had in mind, but too early to judge. We were waiting for the key players to come back in, give him the chance to pick a stable team and push on.

However, its all gone tits up.....the selections have been bizarre at best and anyone who knows anything about football can see he's lost his way. Time to get shot!
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby swipe right » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:31 am

He hasn’t given us one good game to cheer in a season and a half. Not one good game. Even the ones we won we bloody squeak through.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:50 am

Rockape wrote:
Some were still convinced Emery was the right man for the job and his weak areas were being overlooked and posters ridiculed like you have said.

I don't recall anyone being convinced the Emery was the right man for the job. When he arrived, he immediately instilled some steel into the team and as a result we seemed to have more confidence and played well. However it was too soon to judge. We then had the end of season meltdown, not helped by losing key players, but extremely worrying all the same. Still too soon to judge, as you can't sack a manager for one run of games like that, you have to give them the benefit of the doubt and a chance to rectify.

The start of the season saw us operate without key players, but we rode our luck and ground out some reasonable results. It wasn't what we had in mind, but too early to judge. We were waiting for the key players to come back in, give him the chance to pick a stable team and push on.

However, its all gone tits up.....the selections have been bizarre at best and anyone who knows anything about football can see he's lost his way. Time to get shot!

Some were and still might be convinced he's the right man. Whether you were on the fence or not is one thing but the overall problem is the willingness to overlook the issues. When he arrived, steel wasn't immediately installed. The midfield was easily getting bypassed and were conceding a lot of shots on goal as we are today, we couldn't play out from the back and we were lucky not to lose and concede more goals. He was making a lot of half time changes and we'd end up coming back to win. What's different back then compared to today is that the team were eager to impress and the coach when he first arrived. The same happened under Utd when Jose left and Ole came in. That all wears off at some point and it's on the coach to get the players motivated again after a slump. He hasn't been able to do that.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:59 am

Even in the 22 game unbeaten run which flattered us massively as it was littered with poor performances and scraped wins, there was nothing impressive about what Emery was doing, a lot of thos egames could have gone the other way and could have ben draw losses, we rode our luck somewhat. For much of that unbeaten run we also had this rather odd stat that we were never ahead at half time in any game, then of course we had the collapse which was really, really dreadful and now the whole season so far has been poor performances and now dropped points left right and centre. In fact the only decent displays have been the kids in some EL games against mostly nothing teams.

I just don't see any positives of Emery, he tried to get the team to play out from that back, but that was a disaster as we constantly got ourselves in trouble, the defence is undisciplined and as error prone as it has ever been, the midfield creates nothing and until he was left with no choice he insisted on playing Xhaka in the DM slot.

You can accept negative tactics if you're winning games and challenging the best, but you can't accept them when you're losing or drawing regularly and certainly not against the smaller teams.

If I had to mark his tenure so far out of 10 I'd give him a 2/10 and it's only a 2 because he's got rid of some deadwood we've were lumbered with for years by Wenger.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:32 am

Rockape wrote:

He looked decidedly dodgy after Christmas, long before the end of season collapse. But we managed to end up with 3rd place in our own hands before he despicably threw it all away!!

But like I say, the clues were there long before the end of season collapse. Our football turned shockingly bad and he made more baffling decisions than usual.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:43 am

Teams were out shooting us even at the start of the season. It's an indication that we're too easy to breakdown.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Rockape » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:12 am

Yep....can't argue with any of that! However, Arsenal FC is a huge business and we spent a long time looking at all the options before appointing Emery. As we saw, the short list was disappointingly short, so the choice became quite a simple one in the end. I'm sure the Directors of the Club are thinking about that now, when the signs are that its time for a change. We just aren't in a position to recruit a top manager, so would need to take a chance on another possible like Emery.

Quite simply, changing Emery does not guarantee an improvement and involves a lot of upheaval, so they are going to hold out for longer than this I'm sure.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Sims » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:34 am

Is this useless c*** gone yey
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Nuggets » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:07 pm

Rockape wrote:Yep....can't argue with any of that! However, Arsenal FC is a huge business and we spent a long time looking at all the options before appointing Emery. As we saw, the short list was disappointingly short, so the choice became quite a simple one in the end. I'm sure the Directors of the Club are thinking about that now, when the signs are that its time for a change. We just aren't in a position to recruit a top manager, so would need to take a chance on another possible like Emery.

Quite simply, changing Emery does not guarantee an improvement and involves a lot of upheaval, so they are going to hold out for longer than this I'm sure.

You are right, they will not chop and change until things get desperate, as long as we are in Europe he is safe. The more games we play the more he is convincing me he is not the one to take the club forward, I supported him but sadly now I can't anymore unless there is a remarkable turnaround ( which is not looking likely.)
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Nuggets » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:40 pm

However, on the positive side at least we won't have to wait for 22 years before they sack the manager this time will we, every cloud etc :biggrin:
Nuggets

Postby FARM » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:50 pm

Guys I have a question for you.. what will you do if we get beat by Leicester, and the 2 weeks international break is over and its next game against Southampton and he is still here??. Because I swear I fear this will happen, and I am desperate for him to be gone.
Chickens, Turkeys, Pigs and Lambs, and more on my farm. Plenty of livestock to feed the masses. Come visit my farm, don't be a stranger.
FARM
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Dejan » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:52 pm

Ofcourse this will happen. He will not get sacked mid season

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:52 pm

Nuggets wrote:However, on the positive side at least we won't have to wait for 22 years before they sack the manager this time will we, every cloud etc :biggrin:

You been wanting to sack Wenger for 22 years?
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby gooney » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:58 pm

Rockape wrote:Yep....can't argue with any of that! However, Arsenal FC is a huge business and we spent a long time looking at all the options before appointing Emery. As we saw, the short list was disappointingly short, so the choice became quite a simple one in the end. I'm sure the Directors of the Club are thinking about that now, when the signs are that its time for a change. We just aren't in a position to recruit a top manager, so would need to take a chance on another possible like Emery.

You make it sound like a lot of experienced and competent people chose Emery. One man alone chose him and it was Raúl. He was the only football man there and they trusted him.

A business depends on the people running it and the reason Arsenal has fallen behind is not the manager or players. But incompetent people have been running the club for long time now. As much as I want Emery out. I am not hopeful about the future.

My vision for Arsenal with current board is simple. Ruthless fan base and a board who is willing to give managers 1 season at a time. We have to increase our turnover in staff massively. Constantly moving and changing. The worst thing you can give incompetent people is time and to feel safe. Get a care taker now until end of season. And next manager has 1 season. Also get a manager who can speak English. I don’t care how good you are if you can’t communicate it to people it’s useless
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby The Break Water » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:59 pm

Wenger is gonna turn down the Bayern Munich job, and say because he loves Arsenal, then he will return and say look what I have done for you, I turned down Bayern and Real Madrid to be with you, (you owe me everything) . Then Wenger will take over until end of season only, the results will be more or less the same, and we will be awful away still, then at end of season he will again bring up what he did for us with the Bayern thing, that will convince the fans and the board to give him a 2 year extension. And we will go round and round and round in circles for the next 8-10 years. Calling it now...
The Break Water
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

PreviousNext

Return to Past competitions and posts