WENGER OUT

Re: WENGER OUT

Postby Angelito » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:41 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:For how great Wenger was in his early years and with how talented our squads of that era were, Wenger's record in the CL is a tragedy.

I'm also taking into account many times he has qualified for the competition and still has only made two deeps runs, then factor in all the times we have been embarrassed.

This is how I'm arriving at my conclusion of him being the worst ever European manager.

Wenger has been here for over 20 years and we've made 2 European finals. Says it all.

Also not sure why you're asking how many CL and EC finals we made before Wenger arrived. This is about Wenger's poor record in Europe, not the club.

By my logic Di Matteo must be one of the great European managers?

No, by my logic if you were at one point the best manager in the world and had the most talented squads in Europe yet never made it past the QFs and have only made the SFs twice in over 20 years then you are a terrible European manager.

That is my logic.

If the nickname of the man you're championing weren't his usual choking self in those European Finals, you wouldn't be saying this.

What you're labeling as Wenger's underachievements could easily be his over-accomplishments. Our then captain and an Arsenal legend missed their penalties in 2000. Our best forward missed two golden chances in the CL Final - chances that would have been buried by most players.

Wenger's record in the UCL is poor, but far from a tragedy - unless you're managing oil-rich clubs like Chelsea—who have dominated in the UCL for 15 years now, or Man City—who have obliterated UCL oppositions for 8 years now.

The difference is that Chelsea had unlimited resources and now City have those resources - more so than Barca or Bayern.

It's not Wenger's fault that Henry was a serial choker and even the likes of Cesc, Rosicky, Arshavin, and Nasri have bigger European moments than Henry.

Our two best players barely participated in the UCL Final in 2006 for reasons beyond our control (Pires and DB10).

I understand the whole criticism against Wenger, but there is blind criticism and there is critical evaluation.

Arsenal reached the greatest of heights under Wenger. Never forget.

Now that you folks have made me defend Arsene, just pray that we don't get outclassed in the EL SFs. It usually happens when I defend Wenger...
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:52 pm

Go look at what stage we have been knocked out of the competition every year since he's been here; how far did we get all the other years besides '06?

Also, Henry only missed one golden chance, the first one he created all on his own and Valdes was instantly on top of him. Nothing he could do.

Arsenal reached the greatest of heights under Wenger. Never forget

Domestically, yes.
Last edited by Va-Va-Voom on Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby longBalls » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:59 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:It's crazy that you were calling people out for revisionism the other day and now you're trying to pretend like Wenger's record in the CL isn't abysmal.

Go look at what stage we have been knocked out of the competition every year since he's been here and then get back to me.

How far did we get all the other years besides '06?

Also, Henry only missed one golden chance, the first one he created all on his own and Valdes was instantly on top of him. Nothing he could do.

Premier League is the strongest league in the world. So we need to fight on 2 fronts.
Its real its pretty hard imo
Someday mate, I don't know when
were gonna get to that first place
where we really want to go and well walk at highbury in the sun ,

but till then gooners like us , maybe we were born to run
come on now maybe we were born to run

gooners like us,
maybe we were born to run
longBalls
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby starmandb » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:32 am

Angelito wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:How many times did we threaten to win the CL though?

Like I said our greatest teams never got past the QFs.

SAF at least made several deep runs in the comp and lost two finals to Pep's great Barca side.

But yes, his CL record is weak, but Wenger's is worse.

Worst European manager in history.

How many times have Arsenal reached the CL Final before Wenger?

How many times have Arsenal reached the UEFA Cup Final before Wenger?

How many times have we threatened to win the CL/European Cup in 132 years?

People act like we've won countless European Trophies before Wenger and it's only since he arrived that we've become limp in European competitions.

Name another manager who's gone Invincible or won as many FA Cups. Name another Arsenal manager who's reached the UEFA Cup and CL Finals?

We were 13 mins away from winning the CL... If we had ManU's luck in 1999, the narrative would be completely different.

By your logic, Roberto di Matteo must be one of the greatest managers in European history.

The European cup was the 1st club trophy
It didn't come into being until 55/56 when the football league declined champions Chelsea entry
They tried to do the same the following season but man Utd refused and played in the competition
So it was 56 /57 when English clubs first played in Europe 61 years ago
The competition was only open to champions and holders so we first played in the European cup in 71/72 46 years ago
Our first season in Europe was in the intercity fairs cup in 63/64 54 years ago
Our first season in the cup winners cup was in 79/80 38 years ago
Under the old rules Wenger would have had 3 seasons in the European cup
5 seasons in the cup winners cup
14 seasons in the uefa cup
If there was a champions league before Wenger we would have played in it 12 times
Last edited by starmandb on Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby CaptGooner » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:38 am

Wenger was great in his day but the longer he stays, the more he will be remembered for his sh*t years.

Would feel bad but he does it to himself.
CaptGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby EliteKiller » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:48 am

Angelito wrote: Wenger should leave but the same lot who praise SAF are the ones who obviously ignore his CL record - managing the biggest club in the world. Pep hasn't won the CL for 7 years and he's managed Barca, Bayern, and City in that period. Jose hasn't won the CL in 8 years and he's managed Real, Chelsea, and United in that timeframe. Wenger is managing Arsenal - a club that isn't near ManU, Real, or Barca as far as scale goes.

Great comparisons ..... only works if you think of Arsenal as a mid-table side ..... which of course is where Wonger's taken us ....

Wonger European record .... Nothing
SAF European Record - UEFA CWC x 2 - UEFA SC x 2 - UEFA CL x 2
PEP European Record - UEFA CWC x 2 - UEFA SC x 4 - UEFA CL x 2
Jose European Record - UEFA Cup x 1 - UEFA EL x 1 - UEFA CL x 2
Last edited by EliteKiller on Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Zanatos3 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:54 am

Read up guys!....going from Smoldering fire to RAGING FIRE !!!!
http://metro.co.uk/2018/04/18/arsenal-board-argue-new-manager-arsene-wenger-exit-agreed-7478964/

HEADLINE : Arsenal board argue over new manager as Arsene Wenger exit is agreed

Metro Sport ReporterWednesday 18 Apr 2018 9:41 pm

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2018/04/18/arsenal-b ... to=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

Quote "Head of football relations Raul Sanllehi, recruitment chief Sven Mislintat and chief executive Ivan Gazidis have all put forward succession plans at the club, as they prepare for life post-Wenger."

Slight summary

- Former Barcelona boss Luis Enrique has emerged as Sanllehi’s top choice,

- Mislintat is looking to the Bundesliga and has been particularly impressed by Hoffenheim’s Julian Nagelsmann and Schalke boss Domenico Tedesco, according to the Telegraph.

- Gazidis rates both Monaco chief Leonardo Jardim and Celtic’s Brendan Rodgers highly, while he and Sanllehi are both fans of former club captain Mikel Arteta, who is currently working under Pep Guardiola at Manchester City.

- Stan Kroenke who makes the final decision. :)

- Arsenal are also hamstrung by trying to give Wenger a respectful exit and don’t want to be seen approaching a replacement before he has officially stepped down. :clap:

COYG!!! :arsenal3:
Zanatos3
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:09 am

Gazidis rates Brendan Rodgers highly....

Yeah he needs to kill himself if true.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby EliteKiller » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:03 am

So the Board are 'trying' to get Wonger to leave at the end of this season ... but Wonger 'never breaks a contract' and is already planning for the transfer window ... who's going to win that battle?
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Angelito » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:31 am

Imagine if Rodgers replaced Wenger. :rofll:

Apparently, Sven wants Julian Nagelsmann and Sanllehi is pushing for Enrique.

Just leave the decision making to Sven please.

The saving grace is that Jardim's name has also been mentioned. Strange that we are not even looking at Allegri, Simeone, or Sarri.

I really fear for us. This board is doing its best to nullify us as a footballing force.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Phil71 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:27 am

If it's all true, it's a relief that they are at least considering a change.

I hope it's at the end of this season. Wenger has been a great manager for us in the past, but he can't do it any more.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby UFGN » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:23 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Gazidis rates Brendan Rodgers highly....

Yeah he needs to kill himself if true.

Don't hold back. Say what you really feel lol
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Ach » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:54 am

No idea who this naggel dude is. Last time we hired an unknown manager we ended up shit.

Wouldn't mind Enrique. Treble winner with only 3 decent players in his squad at his previous job is pretty impressive
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:04 am

Angelito wrote:As much as it's futile to argue with the WKB lot, it's more so futile to argue with WOBs.

No room for objective analysis. I don't even know where to start, which is why I can't be bothered.

One thing tho, CL/Europe and Arsenal has always been a tragical situation. I hope that changes this season. And please don't bring up the CWC. Jeez, 1 European Trophy in 132 years.

I know it's 2 European Trophies in 132 years for Starman. ;)

I also like how we conveniently ignore SAF's 2 CLs in 26 seasons - managing the biggest club in the world.

How many CLs had Arsenal won before Wenger?

How many UEFA Cups did Arsenal win before Wenger?

How many English clubs have gone unbeaten before Wenger?

How many English clubs have won 2 doubles before Wenger? One, ManU - before someone realizes that they've found a loophole.

7 FA Cups under Wenger, as opposed to 6 FA Cups before Wenger. Who's won more FA Cups?

Whatever.

Wenger should leave but the same lot who praise SAF are the ones who obviously ignore his CL record - managing the biggest club in the world. Pep hasn't won the CL for 7 years and he's managed Barca, Bayern, and City in that period. Jose hasn't won the CL in 8 years and he's managed Real, Chelsea, and United in that timeframe. Wenger is managing Arsenal - a club that isn't near ManU, Real, or Barca as far as scale goes.

Meh.

There is a difference: Wenger has long stayed past his welcome. That doesn't undermine his accomplishments at Arsenal.

Sometimes, I almost wish the board would hire Eddie Howe or Brendan Rodgers so that Gooners could understand what entitlement or legacy means. Pray to God that this lousy board hires Allegri, Simeone, Tuchel, Jardim, or Sarri. If not, we're f***ked.

How can ANYONE criticise SAF, the most successful manager in British football history !!!

SAF - Aberdeen - broke stranglehold of Celtic and Rangers.
3x league winners
2x major European trophies !!!

SAF - Man U
13x league winners. Thirteen !!
5x FA Cup wins
4x League Cup wins
4x major European trophies
1x Club World Cup win

Even if I played Devil's advocate and said he should have done better in the CL, so what, the man won 13 league titles, so its not like the club were starved of major trophies during his tenure.

Wenger's Arsenal teams were praised as being the best footballing team seen in the Premier League era and rightly so, yet they fell short time after time in Europe. This is valid criticism. For all of the good football we got nothing to show for it in Europe.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby PairyGrows » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:12 pm

I'm not in the least bit interested in who will succeed Wenger as our manager. The problems run a lot deeper at the club, and merely changing the manager will likely do very little.

Whether it's Luis Enrique, Jardim, Nagelsmann, Sarri, Rodgers or Howe is irrelevant to me as long as there's no fundamental change in the culture of the club.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

PreviousNext

Return to Past competitions and posts