The genius that was Buddy Holly - gone 50 years today

The genius that was Buddy Holly - gone 50 years today

Postby UFGN » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:54 am

BUDDY HOLLY

7.10.1936 / 3.2.1959 (Aged 22)

Well, where do you start with this guy? I could start with the fact that everything ever made by him was recorded in a roughly 19 month period. All those classics in 19 months from a man barely out of his teens. I could speculate that if he had lived he would have gone on to be a great song writer for years and years... and maybe imagine colabs between him and the Beatles (Buddy would have been 26 in 1964.)

I could point out that he was a hugely innovative musician as well as a talented one... the first musician to "over-dub" sounds on to already-recorded tracks - something which was seen as routine only a few years later and still is. Also the first white musician to regularly play black-only dance halls and theaters - despite death threats from the KKK.

I could mention as a matter of fact that he pisses all over Elvis bloody Presley.

But I wont. Instead here are some of his chooons.

Rave On

True Love Ways

Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Re: The genius that was Buddy Holly - gone 50 years today

Postby Yorkyblue » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:02 am

:D

Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby UFGN » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:04 am

^^ That Weezer song is good (but the vid dont work)
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Yorkyblue » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:20 am

How about this one

Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby ozgooner » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:22 am

so that means richie valens and the big bopper are also gone 50 years today . hey UFGN who was the musician who gave up his seat for richie valens and opted to drive instead of catching that ill-fated plane ? i'm thinkin it was johnny cash or kris kristofferson :dontknow:

"I started clapping myself , until i realised i was Sunderlands manager" - Peter Reid admires a Dennis Bergkamp finish
ozgooner
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby UFGN » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:27 am

ozgooner wrote:so that means richie valens and the big bopper are also gone 50 years today . hey UFGN who was the musician who gave up his seat for richie valens and opted to drive instead of catching that ill-fated plane ? i'm thinkin it was johnny cash or kris kristofferson :dontknow:

The rumor goes that it was Buddy who unfortunately won the seat on the plane on the toss of a coin - it was either that or face a grueling journey by bus with no heating. The musician who did not travel may have been Dion DiMucci of Dion and the Belmonts.

UFGN

Postby ScottishLass » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:39 am

Up For Grabs Now wrote:
ozgooner wrote:so that means richie valens and the big bopper are also gone 50 years today . hey UFGN who was the musician who gave up his seat for richie valens and opted to drive instead of catching that ill-fated plane ? i'm thinkin it was johnny cash or kris kristofferson :dontknow:

The rumor goes that it was Buddy who unfortunately won the seat on the plane on the toss of a coin - it was either that or face a grueling journey by bus with no heating. The musician who did not travel may have been Dion DiMucci of Dion and the Belmonts.

I was always led to believe it was Buddy who was always going to fly and Richie Valens won the seat instead of taking the bus ride by the toss of a coin?
ScottishLass
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby UFGN » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:47 am

ScottishLass wrote:
Up For Grabs Now wrote:

I was always led to believe it was Buddy who was always going to fly and Richie Valens won the seat instead of taking the bus ride by the toss of a coin?

One things for sure, if that great hefferlump the Big Bopper hadnt been on board they might have stood a better chance...

But really, going in a light aircraft, in the 1950's, with a newly-qualified pilot, in a snow storm, at night, with the fattest man in show business weighing you down like an anchor... not the brightest of decisions. :doh:

UFGN

Postby rogerthornhill » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:27 am

I have seen a few documentaries about Buddy Holly and they all said that Tommy Allsup was the person who lost the coin toss to Richie Valens while Waylon Jennings was the lucky person who gave up his seat to "The Big Bopper"

"Waylon Jennings gave his seat up to Richardson, who was running a fever and had trouble fitting his stocky frame comfortably into the bus seats.

When Holly learned that Jennings wasn't going to fly, he said, "Well, I hope your old bus freezes up." Jennings responded, "Well, I hope your plane crashes." This friendly banter of friends would haunt Jennings for years.

Allsup told Valens, I'll flip you for the remaining seat. On the toss of a coin, Valens won the seat and Allsup the rest of his life"

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/crash.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r4_8pjJPxo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artist/f3zf/
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Return to Music