Be Here Now - The Official OASIS Thread

Re: Be Here Now - The Official OASIS Thread

Postby Inchpräctice » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:31 pm

Up For Grabs Now wrote:
Inchpractice wrote:Ok so that's rock, I hadn't heard it. So now they're trying to be a rock band.
How does that make them the greatest band in rock history if these are the first rock songs they've ever written?
There is no rock history here.

Those songs are from 1994, 1995 and 1997.

I just dont understand what you mean at all? You've clearly only heard their singles, which tend to be softer.

Sorry I thought you were playing me songs from their new album.

I'll tell you what I mean.
The generally accepted definition of 'rock' is that it is based around a heavy guitar sound that features power chords, not strummed arpeggios.
The point of rock songs is to kick butt rather than sell singles and if a rock song gets to number one it's more by coincidence than intention.

Noel Gallagher to me has always been about writing the perfect single or the perfect melody.
He's just coming from a different place than the usual rock sound.
His idols and his 'inspiration' are the Beatles rather than Cream/Hendrix/Zep etc.
It's more 'Merseybeat' than rock.

I haven't only heard the singles I've also listened to a couple of their albums that someone gave me and I didn't hear any rock on them.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby djaxster » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:37 pm

they've been cock since 1997. got to admit though be here now was their biggest rock album(FACT) and then Noel slagged it off and said they would never play any of the songs on there again. to me that was a better album than morning glory.
djaxster
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby UFGN » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:41 pm

I dont really like to micro-box stuff into different categories. Hendrix has done some more chilled stuff that wouldnt qualify as rock as you define it. Metalica famously did Nothing Else Matters. Smashing Pumkins did Tonight Tonight, and Oasis have done some ballads and epics as well as rock n roll staples like the ones youve just heard and countless others.

Its just more varied and from a different era. Name me any significant modern rock n roll band and I will probably show you a few calmer tunes by them
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby djaxster » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:45 pm

kings of leon...f***ing rock mannnnnnnn
djaxster
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Inchpräctice » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:47 pm

Up For Grabs Now wrote:I dont really like to micro-box stuff into different categories. Hendrix has done some more chilled stuff that wouldnt qualify as rock as you define it. Metalica famously did Nothing Else Matters. Smashing Pumkins did Tonight Tonight, and Oasis have done some ballads and epics as well as rock n roll staples like the ones youve just heard and countless others.

Its just more varied and from a different era. Name me any significant modern rock n roll band and I will probably show you a few calmer tunes by them

It doesn't really work like that imo.
Hendrix with his guitar turned down is still an out and out rocker and his style of playing is still present in the quieter songs.
Nothing Else Matters is still 100% a rock song as far as I'm concerned. The fact that they turn their amps down for a few minutes doesn't change the fact that Ulrich wants to kill his kit and Hetfield is still very very angry. Their hard sound is still retained.

Putting a more chilled out tune on an album doesn't stop Metallica from being a metal band.
By the same token if Oasis play a rock tune or two it doesn't make them a rock band imo.
Like I said it's about the songwriter's influences and the way they see their instruments.
Metallica see their instruments as WMDs and bands like Oasis don't. It doesn't make one good and the other bad but it tells you what style of music they're playing and it provides their sound.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:51 pm

djaxster wrote:kings of leon...f***ing rock mannnnnnnn

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=B1HXVlqexz4
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby UFGN » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:56 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
Up For Grabs Now wrote:I dont really like to micro-box stuff into different categories. Hendrix has done some more chilled stuff that wouldnt qualify as rock as you define it. Metalica famously did Nothing Else Matters. Smashing Pumkins did Tonight Tonight, and Oasis have done some ballads and epics as well as rock n roll staples like the ones youve just heard and countless others.

It doesn't really work like that imo.
Hendrix with his guitar turned down is still an out and out rocker and his style of playing is still present in the quieter songs.
Nothing Else Matters is still 100% a rock song as far as I'm concerned. The fact that they turn their amps down for a few minutes doesn't change the fact that Ulrich wants to kill his kit and Hetfield is still very very angry. Their hard sound is still retained.

Putting a more chilled out tune on an album doesn't stop Metallica from being a metal band.
By the same token if Oasis play a rock tune or two it doesn't make them a rock band imo.
Like I said it's about the songwriter's influences and the way they see their instruments.
Metallica see their instruments as WMDs and bands like Oasis don't. It doesn't make one good and the other bad but it tells you what style of music they're playing and it provides their sound.

I think there is a distinct difference between Rock, and modern rock'n' roll. Oasis main influences are Beatles, Kinks, Sex Pistols, Stones, and yes, Led Zeppelin. (they have played "whole lotta love" live)

UFGN

Postby Inchpräctice » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:07 pm

Yes I agree there's a difference, which is why I wouldn't call them a rock band.
Oasis played Whole Lotta Love?? :shock: :dizzy:
That I have to see.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:18 pm

Inchpractice wrote:Yes I agree there's a difference, which is why I wouldn't call them a rock band.
Oasis played Whole Lotta Love?? :shock: :dizzy:
That I have to see.

Well, they played part of it at Wembley at the end of Cigarettes and Alcohol.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kWyZuGPZXqs

UFGN

Postby whee » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:56 pm

Kings of Leon? Loadsa bollocks. 3 or 4 albums (if that) of utter shite.

Oasis - while the new stuff ain't the old stuff, it's still the shit.

Tonight was fuckin incredible.

Soaked from head to toe in piss and sweat, had me £500 (mug for taking it) phone pinched, but still came away from it thrapping off.

Oasis >>>>>> everything else.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby UFGN » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:02 pm

whee wrote:Kings of Leon? Loadsa bollocks. 3 or 4 albums (if that) of utter shite.

Oasis - while the new stuff ain't the old stuff, it's still the shit.

Tonight was fuckin incredible.

Soaked from head to toe in piss and sweat, had me £500 (mug for taking it) phone pinched, but still came away from it thrapping off.

Oasis >>>>>> everything else.

Absolutely right.
I dont like KOL.

What did they play?

UFGN

Postby whee » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:19 pm

Seemed like they played the lot.

Champagne supernova, Wonderwall, Don't look back In anger, Lyla, Importance of being Idoll, Falling Down, Shock of the Lightning, Rock n Roll Star, Slide Away.

Spot on mate, fuckin mint.

Just had a spliff to calm down, but i'm still pumped.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby UFGN » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:32 pm

whee wrote:Seemed like they played the lot.

Champagne supernova, Wonderwall, Don't look back In anger, Lyla, Importance of being Idoll, Falling Down, Shock of the Lightning, Rock n Roll Star, Slide Away.

Spot on mate, fuckin mint.

Just had a spliff to calm down, but i'm still pumped.

Theres nothing like it mate. Its a great buzz. Ive seen loads of bands and they are the best live.

Seeing them live at the Roundhouse with an orchestra next sunday :biggrin:

UFGN

Postby whee » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:44 pm

Sounds spot on mate.

My best are still Kasabian I reckon, still the most mental crowd i've ever been in.

Bloc Party in April though, so fingers crossed.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby UFGN » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:54 pm

whee wrote:Sounds spot on mate.

My best are still Kasabian I reckon, still the most mental crowd i've ever been in.

Bloc Party in April though, so fingers crossed.

Bloc Party are decent live. Seen them at Brixton

UFGN

PreviousNext

Return to Music