The Roling Stones

The Roling Stones

Postby starmandb » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:46 pm

Today they became the first band to have a number 1 album in 6 different decades.
Goats head soup was not that well received in 1973 on release
Coming after the magnificent exile on main street it couldnt really fail to disappoint.
Angie would be a standout song on any album but there is too much filler on there.
That said
Its the kind of thing that has helped the stones maintain longevity
Among its ballad heavy content The first glimpse of funk rock that would make up large parts of their late 70's repertoire reared its head.
Odd to see it at the top of the charts today
I know they are opening a store in carnaby street so this could be connected.
I have seen them on a few occasions and although they are a perfect band to fill a stadium i wish i had seen them in a small club.
Its only rocknroll but i like it
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Re: The rolling stones

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:21 pm

GHS is one of my favorite Stones albums.

Took my kids to see them years ago in Minneapolis and got third row seats. Wonderful show. Saw then three times since, two were great and one was a dead show in Fargo ND. Utterly flat, no energy.

I agree, to have seen them in a club back in the day would have been outstanding.
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Callum » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:24 am

yes
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:59 am

Pat Rice in Short Shorts wrote:GHS is one of my favorite Stones albums.

Took my kids to see them years ago in Minneapolis and got third row seats. Wonderful show. Saw then three times since, two were great and one was a dead show in Fargo ND. Utterly flat, no energy.

I agree, to have seen them in a club back in the day would have been outstanding.

Goats head soup was the first stones album i ever brought
That cover caught my eye
I lived with an uncle 6 years older than me and an aunt who had seen them a lot in the early days so we had quite a lot of stones in the house.
I saw them in 1990 at wembley on the urban jungle tour
I went on the Saturday night and they did angie.
I even went with my aunt to this one as my then wife was at home with our 9 month old daughter. Funny enough we have just done our second overnight with her daughter. Circle of life and all that
starmandb

Postby Phil71 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:11 pm

My father was a driver for a rich fella who lived on Cheyne Walk in Chelsea when Jagger was living there. This fella was always complaining about them. Partying non stop, making noise day and night and so on. One day my dad drove through a car wash in this bloke's Jag and broke the electric aerial. He didn't say anything, but just pushed it back down.

A week or so later this fella says to my dad, "Oh I forgot to mention... those yobbos from that pop group snapped my electric aerial."
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby starmandb » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:13 pm

Phil71 wrote:My father was a driver for a rich fella who lived on Cheyne Walk in Chelsea when Jagger was living there. This fella was always complaining about them. Partying non stop, making noise day and night and so on. One day my dad drove through a car wash in this bloke's Jag and broke the electric aerial. He didn't say anything, but just pushed it back down.

A week or so later this fella says to my dad, "Oh I forgot to mention... those yobbos from that pop group snapped my electric aerial."

What a period that was for the band mate
From beggers banquet to it's only rocknroll
starmandb

Postby VCC » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:48 am

Great band
Love the rainbow song
And especially like their love of snooker
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:31 am

Phil71 wrote:My father was a driver for a rich fella who lived on Cheyne Walk in Chelsea when Jagger was living there. This fella was always complaining about them. Partying non stop, making noise day and night and so on. One day my dad drove through a car wash in this bloke's Jag and broke the electric aerial. He didn't say anything, but just pushed it back down.

A few years back a friend of mine lived in Chelsea about a couple streets down from the dive the Stones lived in before they were the Stones. Can't recall the street it was on but it was a something of a four up and down flat shithole at the time but now is worth a cool 2 million plus I'd bet. My mate made a habit of taking people by there.

Bill Wyman used to live behind a friends home in Keston. One nice June evening we were walking up to a pup called the Two Doves...our local when 16 year olds had locals! Here comes a pink Rolls with John Lennon driving. So we reversed course pronto and snuck through the woods to see if he had turned into Wyman's place and sure enough it was parked there. Dared each other to go knock but chickened out.

I wonder if Jagger or Keef sit on their porches now screaming at kids to get off the grass? :lol:
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Re: The Roling Stones

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:34 am

starmandb wrote:

What a period that was for the band mate
From beggers banquet to it's only rocknroll

Sticky Fingers and Let It Bleed are another two from that era that are brilliant.

Anyone else recall Cockney Rebel now that we are back in MY day? f**k me the music in London back then was great.
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Return to Music