Rap/Hip-Hop 1979-1999

Re: Rap/Hip-Hop 1979-1999

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:34 am

Very difficult to compare.

Biggie has the best flow ever without question imo, but lyrically no one can see Nas and he's more versatile.

Also their styles are very different, Nas is more of a poet and Biggie a straight street rapper for the most part. Nas raps in the third person often, Biggie is almost always in the first person.

Also Biggie only released two albums whereas Nas has literally been rapping for three decades now so we have a much larger body of work to draw from.

Biggie is defintely 2 or 3 on my list, I would never argue with anyone putting him number 1.

There are just so many factors to consider when picking greatest rapper and everyone has their own preferences.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:18 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Very difficult to compare.

Biggie has the best flow ever without question imo, but lyrically no one can see Nas and he's more versatile.

Also their styles are very different, Nas is more of a poet and Biggie a straight street rapper for the most part. Nas raps in the third person often, Biggie is almost always in the first person.

Also Biggie only released two albums whereas Nas has literally been rapping for three decades now so we have a much larger body of work to draw from.

Biggie is defintely 2 or 3 on my list, I would never argue with anyone putting him number 1.

There are just so many factors to consider when picking greatest rapper and everyone has their own preferences.

Yeah I agree.

I do take versatility into account always to satisfy the comparison because you can be a great street battle rapper but suck in the studio laying down tracks and fall flat in the charts on the other hand you can release top studio hits but get lit to fk on a street corner against a local nobody so I always look at all round talent.

With Biggie I think songs like "Sky is the limit", "I love the dough" show his slower, softer flow but then he can get dirty with "Kick in the door" "Gimmie the loot" or switch it up like he did on "Notorious Thugs (feat Bone Thugs n Harmony)".
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:03 pm

^ Biggie's first verse in 'Notorious Thugs' might be the single greatest verse in history, that flow and rhyme scheme is unprecedented to this day imo.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:09 pm

Did you catch Nas' last album? King's Disease?

Longevity is also what I take into account when thinking of my top 5 favourites.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:12 pm

Power n Glory wrote:

Longevity is also what I take into account when thinking of my top 5 favourites.

Yep, it's gold.

Been listening to it often over the past month and a bit.

The Cure, 10 Points and Spicy are my favourite tracks.

I love 27 Summers but wish he added two more verses to it.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:02 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Yep, it's gold.

Been listening to it often over the past month and a bit.

The Cure, 10 Points and Spicy are my favourite tracks.

I love 27 Summers but wish he added two more verses to it.

It's a really good album. Last couple of albums were disappointing but this one was solid. Also good to here him and AZ on a track again. They really need to do a joint album together. Both are still sharp.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby KG3 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:13 pm

KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby KG3 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:55 pm

Has anyone heard the original version of Mobb Deep - Temperatures rising?

The album version is good but this one here is straight heat
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby starmandb » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:55 pm

Have you heard Patrice rushen
Where there is love?
She of forget me nots fame
That was used by will smith in men in black
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020