Rap/Hip-Hop 2000-now

Re: Rap/Hip-Hop 2000-now

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:38 pm

Sims wrote:Best teeth in the game

Plaid shirt wearing hipster with male pattern baldness?

Wouldn't put much stock in his reviews tbh.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Jedi » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:40 pm

Eminem album way better than last one, but not great.

Comes off as pathetic at times. Firing shots at people because they said they didn't like his album.
But if you're lookin' to get a porterhouse you better go get Revival
But y'all are actin' like I tried to serve you up a slider
Maybe the vocals shoulda been auto-tuned
And you woulda bought it
But sayin' I no longer got it
'Cause you missed the line and never caught it
'Cause it went over your head, because you're too stupid to get it
'Cause you're mentally retarded, but pretend to be the smartest
With your expertise and knowledge, but you'll never be an artist

Like... no, Em, the album was just dogshit and everyone could tell. That's why it flopped. Not because you're too deep and lyrical for us. Nobody wants to hear your Ed Sheeran feature.

Also some of the rappers he fired shots at have been dropping better music than he has for a decade now so that came off as pathetic too.

Other than that, flow was good, beats were FINALLY good. Not as corny as he usually is
6.5/10, could've been an 8 if he just conceded that Revival was wank.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Zedie » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:42 pm

Jedieurokrem wrote:Eminem album way better than last one, but not great.

Comes off as pathetic at times. Firing shots at people because they said they didn't like his album.
But if you're lookin' to get a porterhouse you better go get Revival
But y'all are actin' like I tried to serve you up a slider
Maybe the vocals shoulda been auto-tuned
And you woulda bought it
But sayin' I no longer got it
'Cause you missed the line and never caught it
'Cause it went over your head, because you're too stupid to get it
'Cause you're mentally retarded, but pretend to be the smartest
With your expertise and knowledge, but you'll never be an artist

Like... no, Em, the album was just dogshit and everyone could tell. That's why it flopped. Not because you're too deep and lyrical for us. Nobody wants to hear your Ed Sheeran feature.

Also some of the rappers he fired shots at have been dropping better music than he has for a decade now so that came off as pathetic too.

Other than that, flow was good, beats were FINALLY good. Not as corny as he usually is
6.5/10, could've been an 8 if he just conceded that Revival was wank.

Who?
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Jedi » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:49 pm

Tyler The Creator and even Drake
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby SuperJackyWilshere » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:58 pm

In fairness Eminem didn't even mention Drake.

He just mentioned rappers using ghostwriters so that could of been just about anyone because so many are using them these days.

Drake having a ghost writer was a Meek Mill thing that was complete bullshit anyway lol. It's common knowledge that Drake credits people if they do feature or even write for his song.
SuperJackyWilshere
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Zedie » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:20 pm

Jedieurokrem wrote:Tyler The Creator and even Drake

Tayler was more of a joke and Tyler acknowledged that. This whole gay slur thing is blown out of proportion too as it was a reference to Tyler using the term about himself back in the day.

Drake is a pop artist. He makes pop songs and can't even be compared to em or any actual hip hop artist. Also, lyrically he's actually not that great, he's a meme rapper tbh without that much skill. He sounds mundane most of the time, most of his tunes blend into eachother and tbh, most of his best tracks are written by someone else. He He's closer to pop than actual hip hop.

Numbers wise I'm not too sure but I don't think drake has hit anywhere near the record sales em has.

It's not even a measure of an artist imo, there's plenty of artists out there that are geniuses but don't appeal to the random person as they don't get played in a bar or Tescos etc.

Ultimately, hip hop is about artists going up against eachother all the time and that's exactly what Em has done. Put out an album calling out those that literally slur over the majority of their tracks with very little skill.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby SuperJackyWilshere » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:29 pm

Zedie wrote:
Jedieurokrem wrote:Tyler The Creator and even Drake

Numbers wise I'm not too sure but I don't think drake has hit anywhere near the record sales em has.

Of course he hasn't, lol.

Album sales have been dying down for years now because it's all about streaming. Two artists in two different eras.

Drake has just about smashed every streaming record out of the park though.
SuperJackyWilshere
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Jedi » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:39 pm

Never said they were better artists and definitely never said they were better rappers than Eminem. I said they've been dropping music that's better than anything he's dropped in the last decade.

I don't mind rappers being cocky and calling out other rappers but you don't get to be that arrogant after dropping trash like Revival.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:52 pm

Jedieurokrem wrote:Never said they were better artists and definitely never said they were better rappers than Eminem. I said they've been dropping music that's better than anything he's dropped in the last decade.

I don't mind rappers being cocky and calling out other rappers but you don't get to be that arrogant after dropping trash like Revival.

Eminem is top 10 of all time, he can be cocky if he wants and if any rapper has a problem with it they should diss him and see if they can out battle him.

Show the spoiler
They can't

SuperJackyWilshere wrote:In fairness Eminem didn't even mention Drake.

"You got some views but you're still below me, mine are higher, so when you compare our views you get overlooked, and I don't say the hook unless I wrote the hook".

Views + ghost writing, it's obvious he's talking about Drake.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby SuperJackyWilshere » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:08 am

If that is about him then he looks even more f***ing stupid because whether you like him or not Drake is a million miles above any other artist when it comes to views, breaking records ect.

Like, what on earth?
SuperJackyWilshere
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:40 am

SuperJackyWilshere wrote:If that is about him then he looks even more f***ing stupid because whether you like him or not Drake is a million miles above any other artist when it comes to views, breaking records ect.

Like, what on earth?

Pretty sure he wasn't talking about actual views and just meant he'll always be above Drake as a rapper in general.

Besides Eminem's album sales >
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Zedie » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:54 am

SuperJackyWilshere wrote:If that is about him then he looks even more f***ing stupid because whether you like him or not Drake is a million miles above any other artist when it comes to views, breaking records ect.

Like, what on earth?

So far from the point.

Drake is corporate pop disguised as hip hop. His delivery is actually pretty mundane and lyrics are quite shallow unless he's rapping about chicks or him being in his feelings.

He's a copy and paste rapper that doesn't write his own lyrics and pretends to be on the roads.

A perfect example was after he got torched by an actual rapper, his only response was to release a legal statement via his lawyer on twitter to limit damage from his black minstrel picture ffs. That was hurting his image.

He's so corporate, he hid his child from the world in order to tie the baby's announcement in with a clothing line deal. I mean seriously.

With drake, 90% of his popularity comes down to the image he pushes out instead of his actual talent and he knows how to harness meme culture/social media. Others make his beats, others write his hits. His tunes are played on Tesco in-store mix tapes.

When you look at what he actually outputs, most of it is generic catchy jingles for a mass audience and not actual hip hop which is more about being an outlet for the forgotten part of society.

Drake is the musical embodiment of Instagram. Pure fakbess ie look how well I'm doing. Look how much fine I'm having etc.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:31 am

Zedie wrote:

Like, what on earth?

So far from the point.

Drake is corporate pop disguised as hip hop. His delivery is actually pretty mundane and lyrics are quite shallow unless he's rapping about chicks or him being in his feelings.

He's a copy and paste rapper that doesn't write his own lyrics and pretends to be on the roads.

A perfect example was after he got torched by an actual rapper, his only response was to release a legal statement via his lawyer on twitter to limit damage from his black minstrel picture ffs. That was hurting his image.

He's so corporate, he hid his child from the world in order to tie the baby's announcement in with a clothing line deal. I mean seriously.

With drake, 90% of his popularity comes down to the image he pushes out instead of his actual talent and he knows how to harness meme culture/social media. Others make his beats, others write his hits. His tunes are played on Tesco in-store mix tapes.

When you look at what he actually outputs, most of it is generic catchy jingles for a mass audience and not actual hip hop which is more about being an outlet for the forgotten part of society.

Drake is the musical embodiment of Instagram. Pure fakbess ie look how well I'm doing. Look how much fine I'm having etc.

Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Jedi » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:15 pm

Lmao, Machine Gun Kelly responded with a diss track on Eminem. It's trash, like anything MGK ever put out. Not even sure if it warrants a response.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:50 pm

It's better than I expected tbh, at least he responded.

But, the end of his "career" is likely imminent.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

PreviousNext

Return to Music