Nirvana Fans

Nirvana Fans

Postby djaxster » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:04 pm

I have been reading the Kurt Cobain story "Heavier than Heaven" which is a great book which is on sale at HMV for £1.
Whilst reading the book, today i decided to hunt their first album out "Bleach". So i went back to my local HMV and found it with bonus live early concert for £5 and also found "Nirvana Live @ Reading", which i am listening to now and it's fooking awesome, for £6.
I am no way Advertising HMV but if you are a big Nirvana fan get down there and snap these goodies up :icon_party:
djaxster
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Re: Nirvana Fans

Postby Est83 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:34 pm

When I lived in London I would often blow huge chunks of my pay in HMV, or online at discogs (easily the best site for music).

The HMV in Canterbury however, is quite simply the shittest music store... EVER!!!

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby UFGN » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:27 am

You need to get hold of Unplugged In New York.

Urgently.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby djaxster » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:28 am

UFGN wrote:You need to get hold of Unplugged In New York.

Urgently.

Got it years ago. A top performance. One of the best live gig EVER
djaxster
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Yorkyblue » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:11 am

Nirvana live and loud is f***ing awesome.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby djaxster » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:26 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:Nirvana live and loud is f***ing awesome.

Thats why i am loveing The Live Reading cd. Hacen't heard their erlier one yet on bleach.
But Nirvan being soft like Unplugged is so beautiful to listen to .
Either way they play hard or soft they were awesome
djaxster
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Epic Fail » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:28 pm

As much as I like Nirvana (and I really do), they are up there with The Beatles in terms of being over-rated. They weren't that much, if at all, better than plenty of the other bands coming out of that scene, they just caught the public attention more.
Epic Fail
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby UFGN » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:00 am

Epic Fail wrote:As much as I like Nirvana (and I really do), they are up there with The Beatles in terms of being over-rated. They weren't that much, if at all, better than plenty of the other bands coming out of that scene, they just caught the public attention more.

The Beatles, overall, were not overrated. There was the crazy Beatlemania thing of course, but you have to see the context. They were coming over here and putting out tunes the likes many people had never heard before. They were coming back from Hamburg, able to play five hours of live blues and rock'n'roll straight off the bat. No-one had seen that before. The early Beatlemania was actually Rock'n'roll mania. And the Beatles had done their homework and earned their stripes the hard way.

They are seen by me and most people I know as the greatest band ever, but one who also put out a lot of shite. And I think that is a fair reflection. The Beatles gave us everything we have of them in nine years. Just nine. If you consider the scale of their workload and the amount of music produced, even they can be excused a few stinkers.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Est83 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:55 am

On the money there UFGN.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby VCC » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:01 am

UFGN wrote:
Epic Fail wrote:As much as I like Nirvana (and I really do), they are up there with The Beatles in terms of being over-rated. They weren't that much, if at all, better than plenty of the other bands coming out of that scene, they just caught the public attention more.

The Beatles, overall, were not overrated. There was the crazy Beatlemania thing of course, but you have to see the context. They were coming over here and putting out tunes the likes many people had never heard before. They were coming back from Hamburg, able to play five hours of live blues and rock'n'roll straight off the bat. No-one had seen that before. The early Beatlemania was actually Rock'n'roll mania. And the Beatles had done their homework and earned their stripes the hard way.

They are seen by me and most people I know as the greatest band ever, but one who also put out a lot of shite. And I think that is a fair reflection. The Beatles gave us everything we have of them in nine years. Just nine. If you consider the scale of their workload and the amount of music produced, even they can be excused a few stinkers.

+1 :hail: :hail:
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Epic Fail » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:29 am

UFGN wrote:The Beatles, overall, were not overrated. There was the crazy Beatlemania thing of course, but you have to see the context. They were coming over here and putting out tunes the likes many people had never heard before. They were coming back from Hamburg, able to play five hours of live blues and rock'n'roll straight off the bat. No-one had seen that before. The early Beatlemania was actually Rock'n'roll mania. And the Beatles had done their homework and earned their stripes the hard way.

To be fair, it was BRITISH rock'n'roll mania. America had probably been experiencing it for 5-10 years earlier. But what the Beatles and bands of that era did well was mix things like skiffle etc in with r'n'r.

I'm sorry, but I still don't agree. I'm not suggesting they weren't a talented band, nor am I saying that they didn't write some very good songs. I just (personally) don't believe what they released was as good as that released by others. In my opinion, the stuff put out by the Stones, the Who and the Kinks.

At the end of the day, this is just a matter of personal taste/opinion. I'm not suggesting the Beatles didn't deserve to be successful, simply that I don't personally think the level of success they achieved was entirely down to their innate natural talent.
Epic Fail
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby CraigGunner » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:23 am

Guns N Roses fan myself. So i could not really like Nirvana. There was a bit of rivalry between them both.
CraigGunner
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Epic Fail » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:27 pm

Why? I like both. You don't have to dislike a band just because someone else does.
Epic Fail
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Swan » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:39 pm

CraigGunner wrote:Guns N Roses fan myself. So i could not really like Nirvana. There was a bit of rivalry between them both.

really...

never heard of this i have of the pearl jam Nirvana one though..
Swan
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby djaxster » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:32 am

Kurt and Axle had a big spat.
They both liked each others music and apparently respected each other but Courtney made some sly comments about Axl, at the MTV Awards and Axl told Kurt" You better shut your bitch up" and Kurt turned to Courtney sarcastically and told her " Shut up Bitch" and laughed.

The Pearl Jam thing was a wind up really. They tried to get Eddie to snap by doing crank calls on him, but he never bit.
The main thing was that Nirvana didn't class PJ as Gringe but just a guitar rock band.
djaxster
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Next

Return to Music