What are you listening to?

Re: In the news today....

Postby VCC » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:30 pm

What's peeps top 5 artists, albums they have in their car or take away, their "go to sounds"
Probably if like me changes continually but ATM in no particular order
Elton john live
Beatles "love" disc from the show in Las Vegas
Bob Seager greatest hits
U2
Pat benetar
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby StLGooner » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:36 pm

UFGN wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:
StLGooner wrote:@ UFGN - Do you listen to any Blues or Funk music?

Blues yes

I love 50`s rocknroll, Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, BB King etc. A lot of that crosses over into blues of course

Then theres the wonderful Credence Clearwater Revival who, to me, are more blues influenced than anything else

Im a huge fan of the present day JD McPherson, who is heavily influenced by rockabilly, blues and early rocknroll

And finally in the UK we have a subgenre of blues rock known as pub rock, which was big in the 70s and 80s.

Top of that particular tree are the legendary Dr Feelgood, with their amazing guitarist Wilko Johnson. Wilko, faced with a terminal cancer diagnosis, decided to carry on playing gigs until he died. His surgeon phoned him up a few years later to ask why he was still alive..... long story short, he is still alive and beat the cancer.

Nice! I've been really digging Blues/Funk/Rock stuff lately. St. Paul and the broken bones, Monophonics, Dan & Drum.

We have a local guy here in St. Louis that made a lot of noise in the Blues industry. He's young (I think 26 now), but has an old Blues sound/soul. His name is Marquis Knox. I've seen him about 20 times now. I know he did some tours over in Europe this past year. He's one of my favs right now, yes I'm a little bias cause he's from my city, but still good.

I'll give him a listen, cheers for the tip

If JD McPherson is ever playing near you, definately go see him live. His gigs are buzzing, amazing atmosphere. Hes from Oklahoma

I have heard JD before, but need to refresh my memory on him, so I'll do that now.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:51 pm

VCC wrote:What's peeps top 5 artists, albums they have in their car or take away, their "go to sounds"
Probably if like me changes continually but ATM in no particular order
Elton john live
Beatles "love" disc from the show in Las Vegas
Bob Seager greatest hits
U2
Pat benetar

Def Leppard Adrenalize is one of my fav albums. Thin Lizzy greatest hits is good to have on in the car.

If its dance then it has to be this one:

https://www.discogs.com/Various-The-Bes ... ase/725795
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:00 pm

UFGN wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Blues yes

I love 50`s rocknroll, Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, BB King etc. A lot of that crosses over into blues of course

Then theres the wonderful Credence Clearwater Revival who, to me, are more blues influenced than anything else

Im a huge fan of the present day JD McPherson, who is heavily influenced by rockabilly, blues and early rocknroll

And finally in the UK we have a subgenre of blues rock known as pub rock, which was big in the 70s and 80s.

Top of that particular tree are the legendary Dr Feelgood, with their amazing guitarist Wilko Johnson. Wilko, faced with a terminal cancer diagnosis, decided to carry on playing gigs until he died. His surgeon phoned him up a few years later to ask why he was still alive..... long story short, he is still alive and beat the cancer.

Nice! I've been really digging Blues/Funk/Rock stuff lately. St. Paul and the broken bones, Monophonics, Dan & Drum.

We have a local guy here in St. Louis that made a lot of noise in the Blues industry. He's young (I think 26 now), but has an old Blues sound/soul. His name is Marquis Knox. I've seen him about 20 times now. I know he did some tours over in Europe this past year. He's one of my favs right now, yes I'm a little bias cause he's from my city, but still good.

If JD McPherson is ever playing near you, definately go see him live. His gigs are buzzing, amazing atmosphere. Hes from Oklahoma

Can confirm.

Fire bug, fire bug :musicnote:
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby UFGN » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:19 pm

Zenith wrote:
UFGN wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Blues yes

Can confirm.

Fire Bug is a tune!

Give Precious a listen. His voice is incredible on that
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Rockape » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:22 pm

Back on Xmas songs, there have been some fabulous songs over the years:
Like DG, Wham was a cracker and the George M’s December Song a fave too. Loved Kate Bush, December will be magic again, Nat King Cole, Even Annie Lennox’s version of Winter Wonderland.....I could go on! :)
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:30 pm

I'm almost positive she was raped and it will be confirmed after they examine her body.

Failing that it could be human trafficking, both the suspects have lengthy criminal histories, wouldn't be surprised if they're involved with a trafficking ring.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Zenith » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:31 pm

UFGN wrote:
Zenith wrote:
UFGN wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Blues yes

Can confirm.

Fire Bug is a tune!

The OurVinyl Sessions version in particular is very fine indeed. I feel "Precious" represents what his voice sounds like when it's at its most spontaneous.

What sets him apart from many other artists is that JD is a multidimensional revivalist. His versatile, rich voice and skilled band successfully revive soul, rockabilly, blues, psychedelic rock, heck, occasionally even ska and reggae.

The one critic I would have of JD is that a lot of the spotlight goes to himself (band name, album covers), when Jimmy, Doug, Ray and Jason each make pertinent contributions.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:38 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:I'm almost positive she was raped and it will be confirmed after they examine her body.

Failing that it could be human trafficking, both the suspects have lengthy criminal histories, wouldn't be surprised if they're involved with a trafficking ring.

Kill it .......... problem over.

Imagine the justice that would be felt around the Western world when if some puke chooses to act like a derranged w*nker we as a collective just axe them out of existence?

We are over privileged in our society to the point where people think they can do acts like this because their "protected" by law, in some cultures if you did this the person caught would be crying his eyes out knowing what's coming, in our society you get a tattooed up loser who smirks in court then sticks his fingers up to the judge.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:46 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:I'm almost positive she was raped and it will be confirmed after they examine her body.

Kill it .......... problem over.

Imagine the justice that would be felt around the Western world when if some puke chooses to act like a derranged w*nker we as a collective just axe them out of existence?

We are over privileged in our society to the point where people think they can do acts like this because their "protected" by law, in some cultures if you did this the person caught would be crying his eyes out knowing what's coming, in our society you get a tattooed up loser who smirks in court then sticks his fingers up to the judge.

Not sure a life sentence in a US state prison would be much fun tbh.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby UFGN » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:02 am

Zenith wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Zenith wrote:
UFGN wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Blues yes

Can confirm.

Fire Bug is a tune!

The OurVinyl Sessions version in particular is very fine indeed. I feel "Precious" represents what his voice sounds like when it's at its most spontaneous.

What sets him apart from many other artists is that JD is a multidimensional revivalist. His versatile, rich voice and skilled band successfully revive soul, rockabilly, blues, psychedelic rock, heck, occasionally even ska and reggae.

The one critic I would have of JD is that a lot of the spotlight goes to himself (band name, album covers), when Jimmy, Doug, Ray and Jason each make pertinent contributions.

Absolutely, I see them as a band, not a man. Big Jimmy Sutton is awesome. I met him and JD after a gig in London a few years back. Real gents, a pleasure to chat to them

UFGN

Postby StLGooner » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:14 pm

UFGN wrote:
Zenith wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Zenith wrote:
UFGN wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Blues yes

Can confirm.

Fire Bug is a tune!

Absolutely, I see them as a band, not a man. Big Jimmy Sutton is awesome. I met him and JD after a gig in London a few years back. Real gents, a pleasure to chat to them

Just listened to "Wolf Teeth". What a tune!! :1990_dancing.gif:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: What are you listening to?

Postby Phil71 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:32 pm

Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby UFGN » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:30 pm

StLGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Zenith wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Zenith wrote:
UFGN wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Blues yes

Can confirm.

Fire Bug is a tune!

Just listened to "Wolf Teeth". What a tune!! :1990_dancing.gif:

Just been listening to Marquis Knox.

Hes the real deal no mistake

UFGN

Re: What are you listening to?

Postby StLGooner » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:36 pm

Good! Glad you like.

Their lead guitarist is my son's cousin too.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Music