What are you listening to?

Re: In the news today....

Postby LMAO » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:38 pm

VCC wrote:UFGN how do you go with Xmas carols ?

Love music also just cant do rap all this " went to the shop for a loaf of bread, went back home with a dozen eggs " all that gangster shit all but a few have been there..
Besides Barry Manalow writes the songs that make the whole world sing lol

What kind of rap have you been listening to? :grin:

Rap is such a huge genre that it's a disservice to pigeonhole it into either dumb lyrics or gangsta rap. It's like someone saying they hate fantasy novels because Twilight is targeted at preteen girls.

There's hick-hop (country rap), 35-year-old single white mom rap (Drake), political rap, rappers who tell stories through their bars, absolute bangers (party anthems), mellow stuff for when you're kicking back, and so much more.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby UFGN » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:46 pm

Love music also just cant do rap all this " went to the shop for a loaf of bread, went back home with a dozen eggs " all that gangster shit all but a few have been there..

Christmas music is a dark, dark place for me. Im like a fatty scoffing cheeseburgers and crying afterwards. I know its wrong but I still do it.

I draw the absolute f***ing line at Cliff Richard's Christmas atrocities though. That c*** is one of the worst musical criminals of all time

Rap is a genre I dont have much interest in but I dont dismiss it out of hand. Some of those guys are very talented writers
Last edited by UFGN on Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby VCC » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:47 pm

LMAO wrote:

Rap is such a huge genre that it's a disservice to pigeonhole it into either dumb lyrics or gangsta rap. It's like someone saying they hate fantasy novels because Twilight is targeted at preteen girls.

There's hick-hop (country rap), 35-year-old single white mom rap (Drake), political rap, rappers who tell stories through their bars, absolute bangers (party anthems), mellow stuff for when you're kicking back, and so much more.

Mate I'd rather listen to barry manilow now that is a huge statement it's a kind of heat the razor blades statement lol.
I understand what you are saying I just can not do it for anymore than a couple tracks at a time.
Hendrix has always been my default setting for music
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby LMAO » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:58 pm

VCC wrote:
LMAO wrote:

Mate I'd rather listen to barry manilow now that is a huge statement it's a kind of heat the razor blades statement lol.
I understand what you are saying I just can not do it for anymore than a couple tracks at a time.
Hendrix has always been my default setting for music

And that's completely fair. Different strokes for different folks and all that. I'm not chastising you for not liking it, just making sure others reading know there are numerous subgenres.

Now, Jimmy is someone we can agree on. Shame he died so young :(
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Nuggets » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:24 pm

Phil71 wrote:Not everyone is into classical music. Some can't stand it.

Personally I fail to see how anyone could see this as anything but magnificent.

That is one of my favorites, how could anybody not love this?
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby StLGooner » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:29 pm

Nuggets wrote:
Phil71 wrote:Not everyone is into classical music. Some can't stand it.

Personally I fail to see how anyone could see this as anything but magnificent.

That is one of my favorites, how could anybody not love this?

I respect it, but I feel like that's music you play at a funeral.

I was really waiting for the break beat, and the tempo to jump up and then dancers come out and start twerking! :1990_dancing.gif:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:39 pm

Anyone who enjoys classical music and lives in London, you should go to the proms.
~60 concerts a year by world class orchestras at the Albert Hall. Its not expensive
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:40 pm

UFGN wrote:

Christmas music is a dark, dark place for me. Im like a fatty scoffing cheeseburgers and crying afterwards. I know its wrong but I still do it.

I draw the absolute f***ing line at Cliff Richard's Christmas atrocities though. That c*** is one of the worst musical criminals of all time

Rap is a genre I dont have much interest in but I dont dismiss it out of hand. Some of those guys are very talented writers

In the spirit of the seasonal tidings ............

What's everyones favourite Xmas song?

Without putting too much thought into it I'd propbably say The Pogues - Fairy tale of Newyork.

George Michaels - Last Christmas .......... although a big slice of 80's cheese, def gets you feeling nostalgic as I've probably heard it every Christmas of my life since I can remember.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:49 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Without putting too much thought into it I'd propbably say The Pogues - Fairy tale of Newyork.

George Michaels - Last Christmas .......... although a big slice of 80's cheese, def gets you feeling nostalgic as I've probably heard it every Christmas of my life since I can remember.

I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day by Wizard

Absolute belter

UFGN

Postby StLGooner » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:51 pm

@ UFGN - Do you listen to any Blues or Funk music?
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Phil71 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:51 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Yeah Fairytale of NY.

I like the Christmas songs. Big fan of Christmas.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby VCC » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:11 pm

War is over John Lennon
Pogues fairytale NY
Snoopys xmas dont know who sings it but great for the kids
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby UFGN » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:12 pm

StLGooner wrote:@ UFGN - Do you listen to any Blues or Funk music?

Blues yes

I love 50`s rocknroll, Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, BB King etc. A lot of that crosses over into blues of course

Then theres the wonderful Credence Clearwater Revival who, to me, are more blues influenced than anything else

Im a huge fan of the present day JD McPherson, who is heavily influenced by rockabilly, blues and early rocknroll

And finally in the UK we have a subgenre of blues rock known as pub rock, which was big in the 70s and 80s.

Top of that particular tree are the legendary Dr Feelgood, with their amazing guitarist Wilko Johnson. Wilko, faced with a terminal cancer diagnosis, decided to carry on playing gigs until he died. His surgeon phoned him up a few years later to ask why he was still alive..... long story short, he is still alive and beat the cancer.

UFGN

Postby StLGooner » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:23 pm

UFGN wrote:

Blues yes

I love 50`s rocknroll, Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, BB King etc. A lot of that crosses over into blues of course

Then theres the wonderful Credence Clearwater Revival who, to me, are more blues influenced than anything else

Im a huge fan of the present day JD McPherson, who is heavily influenced by rockabilly, blues and early rocknroll

And finally in the UK we have a subgenre of blues rock known as pub rock, which was big in the 70s and 80s.

Top of that particular tree are the legendary Dr Feelgood, with their amazing guitarist Wilko Johnson. Wilko, faced with a terminal cancer diagnosis, decided to carry on playing gigs until he died. His surgeon phoned him up a few years later to ask why he was still alive..... long story short, he is still alive and beat the cancer.

Nice! I've been really digging Blues/Funk/Rock stuff lately. St. Paul and the broken bones, Monophonics, Dan & Drum.

We have a local guy here in St. Louis that made a lot of noise in the Blues industry. He's young (I think 26 now), but has an old Blues sound/soul. His name is Marquis Knox. I've seen him about 20 times now. I know he did some tours over in Europe this past year. He's one of my favs right now, yes I'm a little bias cause he's from my city, but still good.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:28 pm

StLGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Blues yes

Nice! I've been really digging Blues/Funk/Rock stuff lately. St. Paul and the broken bones, Monophonics, Dan & Drum.

We have a local guy here in St. Louis that made a lot of noise in the Blues industry. He's young (I think 26 now), but has an old Blues sound/soul. His name is Marquis Knox. I've seen him about 20 times now. I know he did some tours over in Europe this past year. He's one of my favs right now, yes I'm a little bias cause he's from my city, but still good.

I'll give him a listen, cheers for the tip

If JD McPherson is ever playing near you, definately go see him live. His gigs are buzzing, amazing atmosphere. Hes from Oklahoma

UFGN

PreviousNext

Return to Music