American version of "Life on Mars"

American version of "Life on Mars"

Postby Armis » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:10 pm

One of my favorite series, "Life on Mars", has been Americanized.

First broadcast was last Thursday. Wasn't too bad. Probably cause it was almost a 'word for word' copy of the English version, except it's set in New York instead of Manchester.

I wish the original had run more than two series. I thought it was a fantastic show, and was upset when it ended.

I know some are gonna complain that American television keeps copying, but I think it's a compliment. A good show is a good show, no matter where it was created, and should be shared with as many as possible. Like good art or wine.

I think one of the reasons American television keeps looking for new ideas on your side of the pond, is because your shows are less formulaic. Either that or American network writers are just getting lazy. :P

P.S. I've read that they're making an American version of 'Top Gear' as well. Can't ever be as good as the original. I wonder if the new hosts (Jimmy Kimmel for one) will hate American cars as much as Jeremy?
Armis
Michael Thomas

Re: American version of "Life on Mars"

Postby GunnGunn » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:05 pm

Originality doesn't seem to be a word in American vocabulary does it?
:rofll:
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby gzagee » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:14 pm

NOOOOOoooooooooooo!!!!

You've tried The Office, which was awful. Learn a lesson. Don't change what don't need changing. Just keep rolling repaets of the 2 series whcih were made.

You could've made your own version 'loosely' based upon Life On Mars and it would've been okay. Actually, it probably would've been good if they coulda paid homage to Hill St Blues, Rockford Files and Starsky & Hutch, etc.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby GunnGunn » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:15 pm

gzagee wrote:NOOOOOoooooooooooo!!!!

You've tried The Office, which was awful. Learn a lesson. Don't change what don't need changing. Just keep rolling repaets of the 2 series whcih were made.

You could've made your own version 'loosely' based upon Life On Mars and it would've been okay. Actually, it probably would've been good if they coulda paid homage to Hill St Blues, Rockford Files and Starsky & Hutch, etc.

Yes but that would have required getting off their arses :smartass:

Did you know their doing an American Peep Show as well :doh:
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Armis » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:04 pm

What's this "You" crap? You do realize that these decisions weren't mine alone?
Armis
Michael Thomas

Postby gzagee » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:13 pm

Armis wrote:

Sorry, thought you were the Head of Entertainment. :redface:
Seriously, it was a figure of speech. I meant US TV.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Armis » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:22 pm

gzagee wrote:
Armis wrote:

Sorry, thought you were the Head of Entertainment. :redface:
Seriously, it was a figure of speech. I meant US TV.

Thank you :P

I'm not happy about it either. But if it makes you feel any better.....BBC America is the nations fastest growing network. So, it appears that many more Americans are beginning to enjoy the brilliance of your shows.
Armis
Michael Thomas

Return to TV