Game of Thrones

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Rockape » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:36 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:Still haven't got on to this series yet, I think I watched half of season 1 and then never bothered after that.

I just didn't see how it could be that good because it used to deviate between so many kingdoms and factions I barely understood who was who.

That was the point I made in an earlier post, it takes a long while to get to know the characters, maybe a season and a half? You just have to stick with it until it makes sense. So many great scenes along the way though to make it interesting.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Ach » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:46 pm

First season was awesome. Hooked after episode 1
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:02 am

StLGooner wrote:
CynicalGooner wrote:I thought you only turn into a wight if you were killed by one, or a white walker? Or is that completely wrong?

I think it's wrong, cause that's why they always talk about burning the bodies, so the Night King doesn't turn them into a walker. :think:

Iirc the white walkers are the originals and were made by those little tree ent things.

Wights are the dead turned undead by the night king and possibly other white walkers (can't remember).
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:53 am

Minutes away from what could be greatest episode ever.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Jedi » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:32 am

Nah.

Genuinely quiting this show. I'll wait for George R. R. Martin to complete the story or if he doesn't I'll just be glad he put out the 5 quality books.

Show the spoiler
THIS is what you have been hyping up for 8 seasons? The storyline that started before the opening credits ends like this? The white walkers and the Night King are gone in an instant and we still have no clue what their motivation is. And they went for the "kill the main guy and everyone else dies" trope.

Not to mention that i couldn't even see what was happening 75% of the time because it was so dark/blurry.

D&D really outdid themselves this time.
Last edited by Jedi on Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Ach » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:35 am

What an episode.

Season has just hit new levels of awesomeness.

Show the spoiler
humans getting absolutely destroyed, Arya saves the day. Legend.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Rockape » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:07 pm

Was that Ach’s last post?

I’ve just watched it and now I’ve got a headache from peering into the darkness for the whole episode. Unexpectedly good ending at least gets the real business back on track. Jedi, I agree with your pov, but frankly it’s all nonsense anyway, so no point in getting worked up about it.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Reverend Gooner » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:45 pm

It was amazing for all the expected reasons and a letdown for all the expected reasons. At least the ending of the episode, how they arrived at it and the coming together of some big storylines and curiosities (which is why the final scene was what it was), was brilliantly done.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Nuggets » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:32 pm

Rockape wrote:Was that Ach’s last post?

I’ve just watched it and now I’ve got a headache from peering into the darkness for the whole episode. Unexpectedly good ending at least gets the real business back on track. Jedi, I agree with your pov, but frankly it’s all nonsense anyway, so no point in getting worked up about it.

Me too, disappointed that it all happened in the night couldn't see much bit of a let down really.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Pudpop » Wed May 01, 2019 11:25 am

Reverend Gooner wrote:It was amazing for all the expected reasons and a letdown for all the expected reasons. At least the ending of the episode, how they arrived at it and the coming together of some big storylines and curiosities (which is why the final scene was what it was), was brilliantly done.

Agree. I wasn't too invested on what should have happened since I don't generally have high hopes for the plot since last season, but what we got was high cinema. Was a magnificent piece of television, even if some moments left us scratching our heads.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Wed May 01, 2019 11:31 am

People complaining about the finer points of GOT should remember how shit drama on TV used to be and be grateful
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Power n Glory » Wed May 01, 2019 12:03 pm

UFGN wrote:People complaining about the finer points of GOT should remember how shit drama on TV used to be and be grateful

Indeed. HBO have produced some of the greatest shows in recent times.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Zedie » Thu May 02, 2019 12:23 am

Finally watched episode 3, gotta say I loved it.

**Spoilers and theories below*****

Show the spoiler
I've seen a lot of disappointment online for some reason but for me I dont get it.

This was the battle of the long night, it was meant to be in the dark. Having it in day would have been ridiculous.

Dont get the too dark complaints - it's the battle of the long night, it's supposed to be set at night.

Night king was an simmering problem for all involved, but the biggest theme of this show has always been the internal battle for the iron throne. That the long night lasted one 1.5 hour episode is fine for me, you wouldnt even have a battle scene that long in a standard 2 hour movie.

It was repeatedly stated that only the night king can raise the dead, so it made sense that they all died when he died.

Biggest point I'm taking away from it is theres still 3 feature length episodes left ffs!!!!!

We've still got a potentially huge battle between the long night survivors, the iron isles and a dornish army vs cerci and the golden army in or near king's landing ffs!!!!!!

I reckon ep 4 will be the aftermath and gearing up to

Episode 5 which is another 1.5hour all out epic battle (in full daylight probably) into

Episode 6 which is tying up plot threads and saying goodbye to whoever's left/mourning your fav characters death and looking forward to the prequel.

Biggest moment for me was Theon finally getting his balls back and going out like a f***ing hero. Wp lad.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby CynicalGooner » Fri May 03, 2019 8:43 am

I thought the way the story was resolved was really dumb and the more you think about it the stupider it is. But the spectacle was astonishing and for sheer wow factor is easily the greatest episode of any TV show to ever air. The director should win an award for it

For those complaining about it being dark... it had to be. That much CGI on that scale, for over an hour. You either have a £100m budget, or you make it dark and gloomy.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Rockape » Fri May 03, 2019 9:14 am

It was also dark, because it was the Night King, so it was all taking place in darkness. I can’t open your spoilers Zedie, although they are hardly likely to spoil anything, seeing as there are countless theories being spouted in various platforms.

There are sooo many possibilities that I’ve given up trying to come up with and ending, although do feel Jon Snow will come out on top. Would be mad if he didn’t tbh!
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to TV