Game of Thrones

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Massa » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:01 pm

avoiding spoilers for this is tough. started watching recently, binge watched and am now on season 4. top stuff - going to get the books
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Gunpowder » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:38 pm

That Highgarden scene didn't make any sense
Gunpowder
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Schlandi » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:08 pm

wtf did I just watch ?

#GoonersWorldExcuses
- Their goalkeerper had the game of his life
- We should have had 10+ penalties .. shit ref
- If long term injured player xyz would have been available we would have won easily
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Callum » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:26 pm

Gunpowder wrote:That Highgarden scene didn't make any sense

What didn't make sense to you?
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Gunpowder » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:36 pm

Show the spoiler
Richest family in Westeros lost their castle in few hours. Even without Tarly forces they should be able to hold onto it. Especially against war torn Lannister army
Gunpowder
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Yago » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:42 pm

And where's the Redwyne fleet? While no match for Euron's magically acquired 1000 ships, 200 warships should still be worth a mention, yet everyone seems to have forgotten them.
Yago
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner

Postby Callum » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:01 pm

Episode 4 has leaked online.

Best of the season so far.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby ESR10 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:19 am

Callum wrote:Episode 4 has leaked online.

Best of the season so far.

Much better than the first 3 episodes. Can't wait for next week
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby Yago » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:50 pm

lol watching it now and I think its just really bad

edit: seen it all and yeah I didn't like that much

ok, the good stuff:
- budget is nice
- bronn tracking shot was cool, direction overall was ok

the less good stuff:
- f**k off dany
- writers copping out by letting the dragon live
- dothraki suddenly being effective against armoured soldiers is laughable. Jorah even explained why they'd be slaughtered in such a situation in s1
- tyrion continues doing nothing much, his characters's been shit since the end of s4
- brienne being the best sword in westeros was already kind of funny, now they have a 14 yo girl with no martial training beating her. loooool f**k off.
- reunions felt kinda weird, maybe it's the acting
- it's totally obvious where they're going with jon and dany and I f***ing hate it. way to become a wimp after 1 episode with dany jon
Yago

Postby Zedie » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:13 am

Yago wrote:lol watching it now and I think its just really bad

ok, the good stuff:
- budget is nice

the less good stuff:
- f**k off dany
- dothraki suddenly being effective against armoured soldiers is laughable. Jorah even explained why they'd be slaughtered in such a situation in s1
- tyrion continues doing nothing much, his characters's been shit since the end of s4
- brienne being the best sword in westeros was already kind of funny, now they have a 14 yo girl with no martial training beating her. loooool f**k off.
- it's totally obvious where they're going with jon and dany and I f***ing hate it. way to become a wimp after 1 episode with dany jon

***SPOILERS***

We don't know if the Dragon is mortally wounded but will take time to die yet.

The lannisters were taken completely by surprise, had their whole formation spread out then hastily assembled, only to witness a fairy tale flying at them then burn f**k out of a huge hole in their defensive line.

Ok they were overwhelmed quite quickly and as things wore on it seemed like there were hardly any lannister army around, but still, it's plausible imo. Iirc jorah didn't mentioned being barbequed alive by a big arse Dragon in se1, he was talking about a direct cavalry charge v armoured units excluding dragons.

aria stark was in training from season 1 by the GOAT swordsman before the original upheaval. She was then trained by the GOAT assassin daily for years over the period she was in away and has had a lot of opportunity to merk for real.

Could she beat Brianne? Debatable, one clap of that broadsword and it's goodnight but at the same time, it's not like the fight happened during the period in season one. She been on the roads for years before this.

Re John and dany, while I will also hate on him eventually getting some off her simply because she's so fit, it was always going to happen. His main weakness is rugged chicks and dany is a f***ing warrior. On top of that they're both virtuous as hell and share the same principals.

There was always going to be an attraction I reckon.

I think it's probably too telegraphed though and some fuckery will happen to block it like a death before the end of the story. Some real Greek tragedy type stuff ie dies in her arms/dies fighting for freedom etc.

All in all, I thought it was a great show and I'm really enjoying it so far. Can't wait for the full battles when it really kicks off towards the end of this season and next (rumoured to be the final one).
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Yago » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:01 pm

Zedie wrote:

ok, the good stuff:
- budget is nice

the less good stuff:
- f**k off dany

***SPOILERS***

The lannisters were taken completely by surprise, had their whole formation spread out then hastily assembled, only to witness a fairy tale flying at them then burn f**k out of a huge hole in their defensive line.

Ok they were overwhelmed quite quickly and as things wore on it seemed like there were hardly any lannister army around, but still, it's plausible imo. Iirc jorah didn't mentioned being barbequed alive by a big arse Dragon in se1, he was talking about a direct cavalry charge v armoured units excluding dragons.

aria stark was in training from season 1 by the GOAT swordsman before the original upheaval. She was then trained by the GOAT assassin daily for years over the period she was in away and has had a lot of opportunity to merk for real.

Could she beat Brianne? Debatable, one clap of that broadsword and it's goodnight but at the same time, it's not like the fight happened during the period in season one. She been on the roads for years before this.

Re John and dany, while I will also hate on him eventually getting some off her simply because she's so fit, it was always going to happen. His main weakness is rugged chicks and dany is a f***ing warrior. On top of that they're both virtuous as hell and share the same principals.

I think it's probably too telegraphed though and some fuckery will happen to block it like a death before the end of the story. Some real Greek tragedy type stuff ie dies in her arms/dies fighting for freedom etc.

All in all, I thought it was a great show and I'm really enjoying it so far. Can't wait for the full battles when it really kicks off towards the end of this season and next (rumoured to be the final one).

- we don't "know", but come on, if they'd have him die he'd be dead immediately.

- true, and if the dragon had preceded the dothraki charge you'd have a point. But the dothraki attack on it's own was way more effective than it had any right to be. Iirc Bronn even told Jaime to gtfo of there because he thought it was hopeless (before the dragon shows up).

- Syrio being the "goat swordsman" is very debatable. He was hardly known is Westeros, and Eddard mainly picked him because of his style (the typical westerosi style not being very promising for a 12 yo girl). Syrio was teaching Arya for maybe a couple of months before shit went down. Knights like Jaime have been training their whole life, and have a physical advantage. Arya was trained by an assassin, but that didn't include swordfighting at any point, since she hid Needle (instead of throwing it away like she was supposed to) before being accepted.
About the Brienne fight: somehow she's blocking swings from a very strong woman with a valyrian steel sword, which is supposed to cut through like everything, wielding a blade so thin it would be shattered even by a normal sword with enough strength behind it. This was beyond ridiculous.
Yago

Postby Zedie » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:16 pm

Yago wrote:
Zedie wrote:

ok, the good stuff:
- budget is nice

the less good stuff:
- f**k off dany

***SPOILERS***

- we don't "know", but come on, if they'd have him die he'd be dead immediately.

- true, and if the dragon had preceded the dothraki charge you'd have a point. But the dothraki attack on it's own was way more effective than it had any right to be. Iirc Bronn even told Jaime to gtfo of there because he thought it was hopeless (before the dragon shows up).

- Syrio being the "goat swordsman" is very debatable. He was hardly known is Westeros, and Eddard mainly picked him because of his style (the typical westerosi style not being very promising for a 12 yo girl). Syrio was teaching Arya for maybe a couple of months before shit went down. Knights like Jaime have been training their whole life, and have a physical advantage. Arya was trained by an assassin, but that didn't include swordfighting at any point, since she hid Needle (instead of throwing it away like she was supposed to) before being accepted.
About the Brienne fight: somehow she's blocking swings from a very strong woman with a valyrian steel sword, which is supposed to cut through like everything, wielding a blade so thin it would be shattered even by a normal sword with enough strength behind it. This was beyond ridiculous.

If they let the Dragon live, that'd be dumb, I doubt it'll be limping about for the rest of the show with a massive plaster on its tit. I reckon they're going to drag out a long tearful death scene that they couldn't fit into this episode.

Next battle, odds on the dragons will have Dragon glass armour over their chests.

're the dothraki charge, you're right, it was all said before they saw the cavalry charge. They also mentioned how stretched out their army was as they'd made a supply line to transport the gold. They'll probably didn't do enough explaining in the episode to setup the scene properly, but it's still plausible that they were isolated.

Also consider the army had been marched in full armour from kings landing to high garden, completed a huge massacre, then back to kings landing before being ambushed.

When the dothraki charged, dany toasted a path through the main force before the charge hit where they went through and around but tbf they didn't show enough wide angle shots to show if and how they were outnumbered.

Worth questioning how dany managed to be moaning on the beach at dragonstons one minute, then magically on top of the lannister army the next minute. Tryion obvs didn't fly down either, how did he fast travel there so fast?

It shows that the writer isn't covering the story any more because he would have handled that nonsense.

Fair play on the valryian steel point, arias sword would have snapped like a twig. But wasn't it valryian as well? Not sure exactly how tough this stuff is supposed to be... that dagger defo was because they confirmed it when little finger first gave it...

Also, although they didn't show sword play in her training, it's not a stretch to think she was trained in martial arts. Those guys were the ultimate killing machines, they must have known how to use a sword as part of that all round assassin training, but yes, they probably should have qualified it when she was actually in training.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Yago » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:08 pm

Zedie wrote:
Yago wrote:
Zedie wrote:

ok, the good stuff:
- budget is nice

the less good stuff:
- f**k off dany

***SPOILERS***

If they let the Dragon live, that'd be dumb, I doubt it'll be limping about for the rest of the show with a massive plaster on its tit. I reckon they're going to drag out a long tearful death scene that they couldn't fit into this episode.

Next battle, odds on the dragons will have Dragon glass armour over their chests.

're the dothraki charge, you're right, it was all said before they saw the cavalry charge. They also mentioned how stretched out their army was as they'd made a supply line to transport the gold. They'll probably didn't do enough explaining in the episode to setup the scene properly, but it's still plausible that they were isolated.

Also consider the army had been marched in full armour from kings landing to high garden, completed a huge massacre, then back to kings landing before being ambushed.

When the dothraki charged, dany toasted a path through the main force before the charge hit where they went through and around but tbf they didn't show enough wide angle shots to show if and how they were outnumbered.

Worth questioning how dany managed to be moaning on the beach at dragonstons one minute, then magically on top of the lannister army the next minute. Tryion obvs didn't fly down either, how did he fast travel there so fast?

It shows that the writer isn't covering the story any more because he would have handled that nonsense.

Fair play on the valryian steel point, arias sword would have snapped like a twig. But wasn't it valryian as well? Not sure exactly how tough this stuff is supposed to be... that dagger defo was because they confirmed it when little finger first gave it...

Also, although they didn't show sword play in her training, it's not a stretch to think she was trained in martial arts. Those guys were the ultimate killing machines, they must have known how to use a sword as part of that all round assassin training, but yes, they probably should have qualified it when she was actually in training.

The army hadn't marched back to King's Landing I think, at least I didn't see the city?
Anyway, Dany's army managed to be there the same way all armies seem to move these last seasons: because the writers want them there. The Unsullied suddenly popping up at Casterly Rock, Euron on their tails while he was in King's Landing just before, Jaime effortlessly takes command of some army apparently from Casterly Rock and leads it to Highgarden in a couple of days and Highgarden's army, the largest in Westeros, suddenly disappeared/ was vanquished entirely while having the high ground because "fighting's not our strength" (lol bullshit). Varys and Melisandre were always good at teleporting but this season whole armies use those magic powers.

Needle is just normal steel, it was made by the blacksmith at Winterfell (whose name was Mikken, he died when Theon took Winterfell in s2).

And they never showed any martial arts training, certainly not with weapons. We've also never seen Jaqen, or any other faceless man fight, so it's kind of a reach to just assume they're good at that. They're assassins, not warriors. Even is she had some training with a sword, which is doubtful, there's no way a 15 year old girl is suddenly the best swordfighter in Westeros after training 2h/week for a year. Knights have been training since they were 6.
Yago

Postby Schlandi » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:59 pm

Teleporting was always strong in "TV Westeros" but they really should't exaggerate it much more..

They showed for some episodes how the other "no one" girl in Braavos sweeped the floor with Arya regulary till she becomes better in weapon fighting. She also had some training among others in King's Landing IIRC didn't she also train some stuff during her times with the Brotherhood (Edit) and the Hound?! But totally agree that she become the "ultra weapon fighter" is stupid but at least some skills are reasonable tbf.

#GoonersWorldExcuses
- Their goalkeerper had the game of his life
- We should have had 10+ penalties .. shit ref
- If long term injured player xyz would have been available we would have won easily
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Callum » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:21 am

Another great episode.

Gilly's confirmation that Rhaegar wedded Lyanna before conceiving Jon also means he's a more legitimate heir to the throne than Dany is.
Callum
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to TV