General Movie Discussion Thread

Re: General Movie Discussion Thread

Postby Angelito » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:19 am

Power n Glory wrote:Has anyone actually watched the film along with the other nominations to make a call on this?

I'm sure a few here have and that includes me.

Parasite is hands down the best movie of the year. Marriage Story is the second. Little Women would be my third pick. Like husband, like wife.

Unlike last year, the best film nominees were mostly stellar this year. If this were last year, 1917 would have comfortably won Best Picture.

And it's not just some random Korean movie as Phil put it. Bong Joon-ho is one of the finest filmmakers in the world today. There are two other iconic Korean filmmakers too (Park Chan Wook and Kim Ki Duk) but people too enamoured by Marvel and Hollywood wouldn't know. Long before Parasite, Bong Joon-ho mesmerized audiences with films like Memories of Murder and Mother.

The Oscars finally did a decent thing by recognizing international cinema and not just limiting itself to local/Western films.

As Bong Joon-ho put it, if you overcome the one-inch tall barrier of subtitles, you will be introduced to so many amazing films.

Lastly, perhaps a more biased opinion, OUATIH wasn't that great. It features everything Tarantino and he's a favorite amongst filmmakers, festivals, and cinephiles across the world. But as a movie, I found it the second weakest amongst the nominees after Ford v Ferrari. Joker wasn't a great movie either but Phoenix was bloody brilliant in it.

I'd have nominated Greta Gerwig over Todd Phillips or QT, but that's just me.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:25 am

Angelito wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:Has anyone actually watched the film along with the other nominations to make a call on this?

Parasite is hands down the best movie of the year. Marriage Story is the second. Little Women would be my third pick. Like husband, like wife.

Unlike last year, the best film nominees were mostly stellar this year. If this were last year, 1917 would have comfortably won Best Picture.

And it's not just some random Korean movie as Phil put it. Bong Joon-ho is one of the finest filmmakers in the world today. There are two other iconic Korean filmmakers too (Park Chan Wook and Kim Ki Duk) but people too enamoured by Marvel and Hollywood wouldn't know. Long before Parasite, Bong Joon-ho mesmerized audiences with films like Memories of Murder and Mother.

The Oscars finally did a decent thing by recognizing international cinema and not just limiting itself to local/Western films.

As Bong Joon-ho put it, if you overcome the one-inch tall barrier of subtitles, you will be introduced to so many amazing films.

Lastly, perhaps a more biased opinion, OUATIH wasn't that great. It features everything Tarantino and he's a favorite amongst filmmakers, festivals, and cinephiles across the world. But as a movie, I found it the second weakest amongst the nominees after Ford v Ferrari. Joker wasn't a great movie either but Phoenix was bloody brilliant in it.

I haven't seen all of the movies but I was speaking with a couple of friends who have seen all or most of them and Parasite was their pick for best film as well. It's funny because before seeing the film they didn't think a foreign film would win the Best Picture Oscar. But after seeing it before the awards, they said it was the best film of the bunch they would have picked it as their favourite to win just off merit.

I really don't understand the fuss about OUATIH. I really didn't like it and thought it was overrated. But will watch it again when it's out on one of the streaming platforms. Joker was good but just not that original. I didn't expect that one to win.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Ach » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:54 pm

Watched Abominable last night.

Decent animated flick. Love Chloe Bennet.

Booked tickets for the cinema tomorrow. Can't wait but tonight it's time for Angel Has Fallen. First 2 were awesome
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Ach » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:41 pm

Sonic the hedgehog

Loved it

Great entertainment. Film of the year so far. Won't last as black widow lurks on the horizon but so far it's e best.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby themessiah » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:01 pm

Ach wrote:Sonic the hedgehog

Loved it

Great entertainment. Film of the year so far. Won't last as black widow lurks on the horizon but so far it's e best.

just saw Sonic with a friend. It was fine. I think its exciting that video game movies are starting to actually be decent. Hopefully we get nothing but good adaptations from here on out.
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby StLGooner » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:41 pm

Angelito wrote:

I watched Parasite to see what all the fuss was about it is a very good film for sure.

I checked out Marriage Story and it was good, but too slow for my liking. Going to check out Little Women next.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby LMAO » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:46 am

The Irishman

Got through about 40 minutes, looked at the time remaining, and was like :shock:

Suffice to say, I couldn't sit through 2.5 more hours of it. What I did watch wasn't bad, it just wasn't good enough to be worth the further time investment.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby VCC » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:56 am

LMAO wrote:The Irishman

Got through about 40 minutes, looked at the time remaining, and was like :shock:

Suffice to say, I couldn't sit through 2.5 more hours of it. What I did watch wasn't bad, it just wasn't good enough to be worth the further time investment.

Really good movie and some good history in it
And still one of Americas highest profile unsolved murder
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby LMAO » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:58 pm

VCC wrote:
LMAO wrote:The Irishman

Really good movie and some good history in it
And still one of Americas highest profile unsolved murder

That's my problem—it's fascinating history but not compelling enough to sit through 3+ hours of a cinematic experience when I can hop on the internet and get the story in 2 minutes. That's also probably why I've never watched Titanic.

Also, this might sound weird, but growing up, I'd heard of Jimmy Hoffa a few times but always thought of the name as an American tall tale like Paul Bunyan lol
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Nuggets » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:30 pm

Dark Waters
2019 ‧ Drama/Thriller ‧ 2h 6m

I really enjoyed this film, worth the watch.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Rockape » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:44 pm

Finally got around to watching El Camino.

Enjoyed it, but obviously not exactly ground breaking.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby starmandb » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:39 pm

Just watched I tonya
Very good
What a body of work margot Robbie is putting together
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Phil71 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:17 am

Based on a Stephen King novel.

Good story.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Nuggets » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:13 am

Just mercy 2019

World-renowned civil rights defense attorney Bryan Stevenson works to free a wrongly condemned death row prisoner.
Nuggets

Postby dc16 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:26 am

Nuggets wrote:Just mercy 2019

World-renowned civil rights defense attorney Bryan Stevenson works to free a wrongly condemned death row prisoner.

Is that the one with Jamie Foxx? Any good?

Watched Prisoners with Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal. It's pretty good. Really well acted.
dc16
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Films