General Movie Discussion Thread

Re: Last movie you watched

Postby Fenice » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:15 pm

Like the man formally known as says, if he does well then great. Was this a film I was looking forward to? No.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Dynamite » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:09 pm

Ach wrote:Oscars have created a new category cos they knew black panther/infinity war would run away with best film.

Absolutely pathetic from these snobs

Black Panther was one of the worst movies I ever watched 1/10
A:IW was fine 8/10
Dynamite
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby StLGooner » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:21 pm

I don't really get the Black Panther hype either. I was really trying to like it so I could fit in with the crowd, but maybe it was overhyped I guess, cause it was really average.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Pudpop » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:11 pm

Black Panther is one of the best Marvel movies
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Dynamite » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:51 pm

Pudpop wrote:Black Panther is one of the best Marvel movies

Explain why please
Dynamite
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Pudpop » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:20 pm

Dynamite wrote:
Pudpop wrote:Black Panther is one of the best Marvel movies

Explain why please
It's better than the others
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Fenice » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:25 pm

StLGooner wrote:I don't really get the Black Panther hype either. I was really trying to like it so I could fit in with the crowd, but maybe it was overhyped I guess, cause it was really average.

Extremely sympathetic villains is what Marvel is known for. Not in events, but day to day comics. They established a villain who wasn’t really a bad guy, but had gone through hardship and tried to save his country in his own way. It’s a dynamic story, plus Black Panther is just bad ass. Also introduced an amazing place, and did it well.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Dynamite » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:37 pm

What about the stupid plot and the millions of plot holes?
Dynamite
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby StLGooner » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:48 pm

Fenice wrote:
StLGooner wrote:I don't really get the Black Panther hype either. I was really trying to like it so I could fit in with the crowd, but maybe it was overhyped I guess, cause it was really average.

Extremely sympathetic villains is what Marvel is known for. Not in events, but day to day comics. They established a villain who wasn’t really a bad guy, but had gone through hardship and tried to save his country in his own way. It’s a dynamic story, plus Black Panther is just bad ass. Also introduced an amazing place, and did it well.

See I thought it was really quite boring and predictable. Bad and evil has been done so many times, so when you do it, you have to have some kind of something that grabs your attention away from the monotony of super hero movies, and it just didn't do that for me. Marvel or not, super hero movies need something different than just action and cool characters.

I actually like Hancock better, it was different, not just about bad and evil, but he was a drunk and he didn't care, that made it so much different and more enjoyable, Black Panther was just more of the same. Snooze fest!! And I really did fall asleep. Ha!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:49 pm

Plus Michael B Jordans acting seemed really, really fake to me. The other guy did good though.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:18 pm

StLGooner wrote:Plus Michael B Jordans acting seemed really, really fake to me. The other guy did good though.

Glad I'm not alone -

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Btw Black Panther has to be among the most overrated movies of all time.

Really feel it was propped up by all the racial issues in America and people tried to make it seem like the film was something deep and significant, as if it's a cultural movement.

None of the characters were likeable apart from his sister and the leader of that gorilla tribe. Fight scenes were also trash.

Don't know how it got so much hype but it definitely had a lot to do with the Black Power theme and all black cast.

Not close to Marvel's best.

Also Michael B Jordan is easily the worst ever "villain", it was like watching someone do a bad impression of an LA gangster, so corny.

Couldn't take him seriously
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby UFGN » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:24 pm

No more superhero films were necessary after Superman III

That fight between bad Superman and Clark Kent in the scrap yard was genre defining.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby LMAO » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:25 pm

But muh box office.

The problem with Black Panther (and by extension, all MCU films) is that it lacked depth. It was surface level, cookie cutter bs
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Fenice » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:34 pm

LMAO wrote:But muh box office.

The problem with Black Panther (and by extension, all MCU films) is that it lacked depth. It was surface level, cookie cutter bs

Infinity War built on 10 years of movies how that’s cookie cutter when it’s never been done before I have no idea. Star Wars is the only movie series that’s done something similar.

Also, if you can’t have fun with movies you’re missing the point. I’ve been called a movie snob by friends and family, but no other movie has brought me to my feet like Thor’s scene in IW, none. I was a child all over again.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Pudpop » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:36 pm

Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to Films