General Movie Discussion Thread

Re: General Movie Discussion Thread

Postby themessiah » Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:19 pm

The Northman. Average . 5/10. I didn't hate it. Definitely not as good as movies such the The Witch or The Lighthouse tbf. Decently shot, liked atmospheric soundtrack was okay though, set pieces were half decent , but in terms of the whole experience I think it was very lacking. Quite disappointed considering how hyped I was tbf.
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:10 am

themessiah wrote:The Northman. Average . 5/10. I didn't hate it. Definitely not as good as movies such the The Witch or The Lighthouse tbf. Decently shot, liked atmospheric soundtrack was okay though, set pieces were half decent , but in terms of the whole experience I think it was very lacking. Quite disappointed considering how hyped I was tbf.

Yeah I just can't.

After watching the Vikings series, I mean, they did the Viking thing as good as you can do it.

I simply can't watch anything else to do with Vikings because its a let down in comparison, so until someone actually does that period some justice I stay well clear.

Other than that, May is gonna be a belter ......... Dr Strange Multiverse of Madness then onto Top Gun 2, it doesn't get much better than that.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:12 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
themessiah wrote:The Northman. Average . 5/10. I didn't hate it. Definitely not as good as movies such the The Witch or The Lighthouse tbf. Decently shot, liked atmospheric soundtrack was okay though, set pieces were half decent , but in terms of the whole experience I think it was very lacking. Quite disappointed considering how hyped I was tbf.

Yeah I just can't.

After watching the Vikings series, I mean, they did the Viking thing as good as you can do it.

I simply can't watch anything else to do with Vikings because its a let down in comparison, so until someone actually does that period some justice I stay well clear.

Other than that, May is gonna be a belter ......... Dr Strange Multiverse of Madness then onto Top Gun 2, it doesn't get much better than that.

Have you watched The Last Kingdom? Set in the same period in England. It's very good.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Ach » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:50 am

DiamondGooner wrote:

Yeah I just can't.

Vikings Valhalla on Netflix

Set 100 or so years after Vikings. Same universe.

The Last Kingdom is also brilliant. Bebbanburg is my new favourite place
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby themessiah » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:14 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:

Yeah I just can't.

. Agreed Vikings was awesome…The Northman was just average .
The Northman is basically 300 for me but nowhere near as fun or stylish. Also the trailer of the Northman is very deceiving.
How is this the same guy who made The VVitch and The Lighthouse?!

I was basically almost shouting this wannabe Vikings in the cinema :rofll: .
Btw ! I’m gonna be trapped in the multiverse in May from watching Dr Strange in the Multiverse of Madness and Everything Everywhere All At Once the week after. Since it getting a UK release at last. And taking about another Multiverse movie.. The Flash if it ever gets released . With what’s going on with Ezra miller it’s going to be a box office disaster and their new timeline and already hated without mention that Ezra Miller's setbacks jeopardize the sequel. Hey..let’s not forget about the Johnny deep and Amber heard thing as well The DCUE might have to expect it’s over them.
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby UFGN » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:18 pm

Nicolas Cage:

Someone please explain why his career has happened.

Because I've tried to be reasonable about it but I just see absolutely nothing to justify it.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby themessiah » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:30 pm

UFGN wrote:Nicolas Cage:

Because I've tried to be reasonable about it but I just see absolutely nothing to justify it.

I don’t mind Nicolas Cage tbf …He has got a decent set of movies. Bringing out the Dead, Face Off, Leaving Las Vegas, Family Man, Mact Stick Men, and on, and on, a good list. Those movies are quality tbf.
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby UFGN » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:39 pm

themessiah wrote:

I don’t mind Nicolas Cage tbf …He has got a decent set of movies. Bringing out the Dead, Face Off, Leaving Las Vegas, Family Man, Mact Stick Men, and on, and on, a good list. Those movies are quality tbf.

The Wicker Man remake made me want to pour bleach in my eyes
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Ach » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:40 pm

themessiah wrote:

National treasure films very underrated

Con Air one of the greats as is gone in 60 seconds.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:18 pm

Ach wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Yeah I just can't.

To answer you and Phil, I have heard of Vikings Valhala but heard its not as good on the reviews, plus one of the Viking Jarls is a black woman ........... I mean, the historian in me just can't, it claims to be the same universe as Vikings but its been doused in PC pixie dust and just doesn't look as authentic.

I mean if they were making a bio-pic of Shaka Zulu and tried to slip in Brad Pitt playing Shaka I wouldn't watch that trash either, so it goes both ways, these are not made up characters or era's so it needs authenticity, if a Director can't respect history and is willing to undermine his film to gain a PC Blue Peters badge then I can't respect his work.

If you make a film about the Song dynasty in China and have Nicholas Cage as the Song Emporer, again, I'm not watching.

As for Last Kingdom ........ I think I watched the first episode and was a but meh but I have heard good things about it so I might give that a whirl.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:47 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Ach wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Yeah I just can't.

To answer you and Phil, I have heard of Vikings Valhala but heard its not as good on the reviews, plus one of the Viking Jarls is a black woman ........... I mean, the historian in me just can't, it claims to be the same universe as Vikings but its been doused in PC pixie dust and just doesn't look as authentic.

I mean if they were making a bio-pic of Shaka Zulu and tried to slip in Brad Pitt playing Shaka I wouldn't watch that trash either, so it goes both ways, these are not made up characters or era's so it needs authenticity, if a Director can't respect history and is willing to undermine his film to gain a PC Blue Peters badge then I can't respect his work.

If you make a film about the Song dynasty in China and have Nicholas Cage as the Song Emporer, again, I'm not watching.

As for Last Kingdom ........ I think I watched the first episode and was a but meh but I have heard good things about it so I might give that a whirl.

You won't regret it.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Ach » Thu May 05, 2022 9:05 pm

Just finished Dr Strange 2

Wow

He might well be my favourite marvel character now
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby UFGN » Thu May 05, 2022 9:11 pm

If anyone likes a British gangster film and hasn't seen the Long Good Friday, watch it. Interesting from a London perspective too because you see the Docklands before they were developed

UFGN

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu May 05, 2022 9:22 pm

Ach wrote:Just finished Dr Strange 2

Wow

He might well be my favourite marvel character now

.....don't ..... say ...... anything.

I'm going to see it Saturday and the trailers spoiled the fk out of it already.

I was sitting up with GF and that programme where you watch people wacthing their TV was on in the background and those bastards spoiled the entire ending of Peaky Blinders for me, I couldn't believe it and this was only a week or so after Peaky had wrapped.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Thu May 05, 2022 9:25 pm

That's why I watch it on opening day cos there'll always be c****

I need to get back on the Peaky Blinders train
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to Films