General Movie Discussion Thread

Re: General Movie Discussion Thread

Postby Ach » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:33 pm

Tickets booked for Venom 2.

Seen no trailers. Know nothing of the plot.

Hopefully it's as good as the first
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:41 am

Ach wrote:Tickets booked for Venom 2.

Seen no trailers. Know nothing of the plot.

Hopefully it's as good as the first

You mean you hope its better?

First one was shocking, Sony simply can't make good comic book films, they just don't have the passion like Marvel do for the source material, they're just out to make £££.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:03 pm

I liked it. Not as good as the MCU and my only experience with Venom before the film was the spider Man 3 version which was garbage
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:54 am

Venom 2 was great. These have been Tom Hardy best films

Can't wait to see him again
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby dc16 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:02 pm

dc16
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby themessiah » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:42 pm

Ach wrote:Venom 2 was great. These have been Tom Hardy best films

Can't wait to see him again

Tbf It was average but Venom 2 Post credit scene pushes the movie form 4/10 to a 7/10 INSANE scene tbf .
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby dc16 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:49 pm

Dune was a really good watch. Might have something to do with having not seen the original or read the book but it's definitely one to watch at the cinema for the visuals and the audio.

It is loud...very loud.
dc16
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:44 pm

Didn't realise it had come out already, I might try to sneak it in after work.

Next up is Eternals though on the 5th Nov.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:41 pm

dc16 wrote:Dune was a really good watch. Might have something to do with having not seen the original or read the book but it's definitely one to watch at the cinema for the visuals and the audio.

It is loud...very loud.

Just seen it.

Yes very good, even though in the original pauls commentary I thought was good at times to set the tone, in this one I liked that they explained more of what the Bene gesserit do.

There are still layers of the books story missing which I just feel only take a couple of words to explain.

Like they didn't say that Jessica was only supposed to have a daughter so she could be married off to a Harkonen Prince to join the Houses, just one sentence would of explained why she wasn't supposed to have a son and it would of filled out the back story more.
The whole point of that is that even though Jessica was supposed to be more of an agent, she fell so in love with the Duke who wanted a son that she broke her instructions for love.

Also they didn't mention that why Dr Huey shouldn't of been able to betray the Atredies, that diamond on his forehead is a symbol that he's been conditioned for loyalty, hence why it was a shock when he betrays them, just one simple sentence would of answered that.

These are layers of the story that make it all more interesting and they hold back on some of it.
I mean lets not even get started on why they use knives to fight and why AI is banned, but that's a whole other movie.

But as mentioned, they did do a better job of explaining the religious aspect on Arakis so I was pleased with that.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby LMAO » Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:18 am

In the spirit of Halloween, I decided to watch The Conjuring for the first time. It was a solid waste of my time lol

The monster reveal halfway through definitely didn't do the movie any good. An ashy hag who is in desperate need of moisturizer. I mean, really? C'mon now. Even Annabelle was meh; it's a creepy-looking doll, but it's still just a doll.

It wasn't until close to the end that I realized why I hate horror films like that. All it is is cheap jump scares that you can see coming from a mile away, and since I'm not religious, the religious horror and exorcism crap don't do anything for me.

Stuff like The Blair Witch Project is so much more unsettling because it doesn't actually show the entity and leaves it up to your imagination. And The Texas Chainsaw Massacre works because it can actually happen IRL.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Phil71 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:15 am

LMAO wrote:In the spirit of Halloween, I decided to watch The Conjuring for the first time. It was a solid waste of my time lol

The monster reveal halfway through definitely didn't do the movie any good. An ashy hag who is in desperate need of moisturizer. I mean, really? C'mon now. Even Annabelle was meh; it's a creepy-looking doll, but it's still just a doll.

It wasn't until close to the end that I realized why I hate horror films like that. All it is is cheap jump scares that you can see coming from a mile away, and since I'm not religious, the religious horror and exorcism crap don't do anything for me.

Stuff like The Blair Witch Project is so much more unsettling because it doesn't actually show the entity and leaves it up to your imagination. And The Texas Chainsaw Massacre works because it can actually happen IRL.

I'm not usually a big fan of horror films. I'll watch one occasionally. Most of them that are out there are utter rubbish. I find films like Hostel pretty disturbing to be honest. I guess that might be the aim of the film. I didn't mind The Conjuring films. They're OK as far as the genre goes.

I watched An American Werewolf in London last night. More for nostalgia than anything else. Deliberately cheesy. I'm a big John Landis fan anyway. I feel compelled to watch it every few years.

My favourite of all time is The Shining.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby VCC » Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:32 am

Phil71 wrote:
LMAO wrote:In the spirit of Halloween, I decided to watch The Conjuring for the first time. It was a solid waste of my time lol

I'm not usually a big fan of horror films. I'll watch one occasionally. Most of them that are out there are utter rubbish. I find films like Hostel pretty disturbing to be honest. I guess that might be the aim of the film. I didn't mind The Conjuring films. They're OK as far as the genre goes.

I watched An American Werewolf in London last night. More for nostalgia than anything else. Deliberately cheesy. I'm a big John Landis fan anyway. I feel compelled to watch it every few years.

Redrum
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Phil71 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:08 am

VCC wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

Redrum

The scene in the bathroom where Jack and Grady talk about who the caretaker is. It's just compelling. Many parts of the film are like that. It's like you're there watching it.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby themessiah » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:54 pm

Eternals. Very much meh tbf. On the bottom end of MCU movies with the likes of Iron Man 2 , Thor The Dark World , Age of ultron.

The mid-credits scene? whatever…

That end credits scene though! Dang!! .Awesome scene. Plus After end game, Marvel was alsway going to struggle a bit with the current phase. Shang-Chi was great , but them and The Eternals. Are not that known by the causal film watcher. Onto Spider-Man and Doctor Strange which will land.
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby themessiah » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:56 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
dc16 wrote:Dune was a really good watch. Might have something to do with having not seen the original or read the book but it's definitely one to watch at the cinema for the visuals and the audio.

It is loud...very loud.

Just seen it.

Yes very good, even though in the original pauls commentary I thought was good at times to set the tone, in this one I liked that they explained more of what the Bene gesserit do.

There are still layers of the books story missing which I just feel only take a couple of words to explain.

Like they didn't say that Jessica was only supposed to have a daughter so she could be married off to a Harkonen Prince to join the Houses, just one sentence would of explained why she wasn't supposed to have a son and it would of filled out the back story more.
The whole point of that is that even though Jessica was supposed to be more of an agent, she fell so in love with the Duke who wanted a son that she broke her instructions for love.

Also they didn't mention that why Dr Huey shouldn't of been able to betray the Atredies, that diamond on his forehead is a symbol that he's been conditioned for loyalty, hence why it was a shock when he betrays them, just one simple sentence would of answered that.

These are layers of the story that make it all more interesting and they hold back on some of it.
I mean lets not even get started on why they use knives to fight and why AI is banned, but that's a whole other movie.

But as mentioned, they did do a better job of explaining the religious aspect on Arakis so I was pleased with that.

Dune was excellent. 2 more sequels for the trilogy in the next 3 /4 years tbf
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

PreviousNext

Return to Films