General Movie Discussion Thread

Re: General Movie Discussion Thread

Postby dc16 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:31 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
dc16 wrote:Just got back from opening night of The Batman.

Thought it was great. Totally different from the Bale / Nolan films as it really deals with a lot more in terms of the psychology of Batman and why he is the way he is. Great supporting cast…Farrell was excellent as The Penguin.

Pattinson I thought was a really good Batman. Totally brutal when he has to be and at times unable to control that rage.

Beautifully shot even if it is a rain soaked Gotham city there are some real stand out moments. You can see what is happening in the fight scenes and it’s not all quick edits and cuts.

Only thing I would say is I’m not sure if it is on a level for repeat viewings like Dark knight etc but that’s probably down to the running time. I still came out of it thinking it was a proper cinematic experience as Dune was. I’ve been wanting to see it since the first teaser trailer dropped and I wasn’t disappointed.

Saw a new post and was hoping it was a Batman review.

I'm going to try and see it but I'm so busy right now and DC just doesn't do it for me like Marvel does but I do think from the look of it this is the sort of Batman film that's been needed for a while, a closer to the source material type of film so I'm going to try and get to see it.

The more I think about it the more I enjoyed it.

The detective element was in keeping with some of the source material you and others have mentioned, there is a decent amount of narration almost along the lines of Taxi Driver that surprised me, I know the Kermode review was critical of but it didn't bother me. Great intro and entrance from Batman and don't get me started on the Batmobile. Wow, when that thing entered the whole cinema started to shake. One of the standout moments.
dc16
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby themessiah » Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:47 pm

Show the spoiler
Brining to life The Bat and The Cat from Year One, The Riddler and The Roman from Long Halloween. Bruce always on edge, unrestrained like , yet people around him to keep his no kill moral compass on check like. Visuals and background scores for staging and unstaging The Scenes. Loved that it was Investigative thriller that used from Batman Detective Comics.
Rare potent blend hitting the same spots in second watch.The Batman was a top top movie tbf and a really interesting take on Batman.You can really tell that he's still in his "rookie" stages of being a Vigilante and taking control of crime in Gotham.Hoping that this becomes a new trilogy and in the end, we see him fully realized! 9/10!. Oh and I really do hope that ….The little cameo towards the end, means that we'll be getting that villain in a future sequel ..I get it, but its a little too soon. If anything, I want the Court of Owls to be the next big story! This movie hinted quite a lot into that territory
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Marsbar100 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:28 pm

Seen it today, very good
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Ach » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:46 pm

Watched it earlier.

Reminded me a lot of Gotham TV series which was great but this film? I don't know. I didn't dislike it and it's different to other batman films but something missing imo.

Pattison was fine as batman but what's with the emo Bruce Wayne?

Villains weren't that great imo. When you think penguin and Riddler, you think Danny Devito and Jim Carey. These 2 don't get near that level.

I loved commissioner Gordon. That's up there with Oldman.

I'll give it a 7.

Saw the Dr Strange trailer before batman. Must watch of the year

New Jurassic world looks awesome as well

Not sure about morbius.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:54 pm

Ach wrote:Watched it earlier.

Reminded me a lot of Gotham TV series which was great but this film? I don't know. I didn't dislike it and it's different to other batman films but something missing imo.

Pattison was fine as batman but what's with the emo Bruce Wayne?

Villains weren't that great imo. When you think penguin and Riddler, you think Danny Devito and Jim Carey. These 2 don't get near that level.

I loved commissioner Gordon. That's up there with Oldman.

I'll give it a 7.

Saw the Dr Strange trailer before batman. Must watch of the year

New Jurassic world looks awesome as well

Not sure about morbius.

How have you only just seen that trailer for Strange??

Been out for 2 weeks ......... yes, I couldn't think how you could top Spiderman No way home in the same year but it looks like they're going for it.

This movie looks fkin epic.

To think after End Game people wondered how Marvel could get any better, Marvel is smashing it right now.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:00 pm

I don't usually watch trailers. I'll see something and it'll be spoiled whether it's meant to be or not.

I haven't seen the trailer for Spider-Man NWH cos I didn't want to risk seeing anything to see Maguire and Garfield there.

If I know I'm watching a film, no need to see a trailer I know I'm going to watch and have it sold to me
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:13 am

Watched The Batman and didn't really enjoy it. Seemed like a rehash of the Nolan movies, Dark Knight in particular. As a detective movie, i wasn't really engaged or invested and found some parts predictable. We didn't really need another origin story but I guess they had to go that route after Affleck pulled out. Would have liked to have a seen a different Batman story. The action wasn't great either. A but too grounded. I've seen that already from the Nolan movies. The warehouse action scene in Batman vs Superman is still the best action scene from a Batman movie. Would have loved for them to have explorer that route. A more experienced Batman.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:27 pm

Saw Batman last night.

Super solid.

The major difference between the Batman films and Marvel is Batman feels like a serious, gritty movie whereas Marvel always feels cartoonish and light.

Thought Pattison's broodiness was perfect and his fighting is much better than stiff Bale.

Show the spoiler
Whoever that Joker is needs to be canned immediately though, his laugh is terrible. Can't go forward with that. Also think they should let the Joker character rest for a bit, don't rush him in.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Phil71 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:44 pm

Wrath of Man.

Decent Jason Statham film. Plenty of action.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby VCC » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:07 am

Boy……. And hunt for the wilder people both Taika Waititi movies such a great movie maker and a classic look at rural NZ
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Nuggets » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:51 am

VCC wrote:Boy……. And hunt for the wilder people both Taika Waititi movies such a great movie maker and a classic look at rural NZ

Brilliant film :clap:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Nuggets » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:52 am

The.Little.Things.2021 good film.
Nuggets

Postby Ach » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:25 am

Bruce Willis retires due to health

Best film? He's been in some greats but Die Hard I guess.

Greatest Xmas film ever
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:20 am

Tickets booked for Dr Strange 2

May 6th

10/10 no doubt
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:50 am

Ach wrote:Tickets booked for Dr Strange 2

May 6th

10/10 no doubt

Yep can't wait .......... epicness is on its way.

This is going to be a big one, its going to be right up there with No Way Home and End Game.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Films