General Movie Discussion Thread

Re: Last movie you watched

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:51 am

Reminds me of these live action Disney reboots.

Like wtf, how are you going to imrpove or add to Lion King?
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Ach » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:02 am

Never can be too many Disney films tbh

And tbf they aren't changing the films, just making it live action. Story is the same. Well they were in Jungle book and Beauty and the Beast which were awesome, latter being my all time GOAT Disney film so was always going to love,

Reminds me of me and the wife although she takes exception to being called beast but someone has to be
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:04 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Reminds me of these live action Disney reboots.

Like wtf, how are you going to imrpove or add to Lion King?

It's a business decision.

Nostalgia factor and the cult following of the Lion King alone guarantees a business of $700m - $1b worldwide. And that's understating it.

Unless the movie is horribly bad, it's a money spinner.

Hollywood's mantra is to give audiences the same things but present it differently. That's what they seek when writers and directors approach them too. It should be unique but it should also not be so different that audiences don't connect to it, hence, more of the same please.

That's also why baddies in Hollywood blockbusters have English or European accents. :P
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Fenice » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:37 am

Being There. Interesting. That’s really all I got. Movie has an odd swerve midway through that’s odd but you get the gist of it all.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:21 am

Can someone explain the acclaim for Pulp Fiction and Goodfellas?

I like PF well enough, it is a good movie but I often see it ranked high on best movie ever/best movies of the 90s lists.

I just don't get why it's rated that highly by the masses, it's also very prevalent in popular culture.

Personally I don't think it's a top 3 Tarantino flick.

Goodfellas is often cited as a masterpiece and I've seen many people compare it to The Godfather and some even claim it's superior!

It's a great gangster movie but that's it in my opinion, nowhere near the level of the first two Godfather's, both of which are among the finest achievements in cinematic history, whereas Goodfellas is just good compared to most movies of the crime genre.

I don't think it stands up next to the greatest films of all time if we're talking all genres.

While we're at it, Fight Club is also grossly overrated; it didn't do anything for me and also seems extremely dated now, hasn't aged well at all.

Fight Club, like Pulp Fiction, is another movie that is heavily referenced in popular culture.

I just don't understand how these movies became so culturally influential.

So yeah, off the top of my head those are the three most overrated movies for me - interestingly they're all from the 90s.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Dejan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:30 am

Goodfellas is awesome

Recently watched godfathef for the first time. Overrated imo

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Rockape » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:37 am

Fight club is not in the top 10,000 imo.

Goodfellas is very good but that’s all, whereas I still recall walking out of the cinema in Esther having watched PF and being entirely blown away by it. So for me....definitely top three ever!
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:42 am

Goodfellas and Godfather are both awesome.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Zedie » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:56 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Can someone explain the acclaim for Pulp Fiction and Goodfellas?

I like PF well enough, it is a good movie but I often see it ranked high on best movie ever/best movies of the 90s lists.

I just don't get why it's rated that highly by the masses, it's also very prevalent in popular culture.

Goodfellas is often cited as a masterpiece and I've seen many people compare it to The Godfather and some even claim it's superior!

It's a great gangster movie but that's it in my opinion, nowhere near the level of the first two Godfather's, both of which are among the finest achievements in cinematic history, whereas Goodfellas is just good compared to most movies of the crime genre.

I don't think it stands up next to the greatest films of all time if we're talking all genres.

While we're at it, Fight Club is also grossly overrated; it didn't do anything for me and also seems extremely dated now, hasn't aged well at all.

Fight Club, like Pulp Fiction, is another movie that is heavily referenced in popular culture.

So yeah, off the top of my head those are the three most overrated movies for me - interestingly they're all from the 90s.

Both films are iconic to me because I can remember when they were first released and they were unlike most other films out there.

Fight club was absolutely different level to anything else you could watch at that time. It was so gritty in a time where romcoms ruled and were being churned out at an alarming rate. This is all post 80s, where ultra violence was the norm in films.

Some of the concepts used in fight club were visionary at the time. The film m night shamalaned the f**k out of the industry and world before m night shamalan was a thing.

Hard to explain, but that film was ground breaking and spoke to a lot of people about the underlying frustrations in society.

Goodfellas was GOAT too. It was so well received because there were probably a lot of people that could relate to that film back then because they were old enough to remember the times.

That and John gotti trails etc. And the mob making big moves still at around thst time. People will always be fascinated by criminality, but stories of the mob were pretty real and top of the agenda around then and a few years before.

Again, films for a mature audience were limited around the time it came out so Tarantino scorcese etc. tapped into a forgotten need that was missing back then.

Nowadays, even tv series are showing that level of gratuitous violence but back then it wasn't really like that.

That and they both have fantastic scripts / acting make them iconic movies imo.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:19 am

Agree on fight club but pulp and fellas are awesome.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:57 am

Zedie wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:Can someone explain the acclaim for Pulp Fiction and Goodfellas?

Both films are iconic to me because I can remember when they were first released and they were unlike most other films out there.

Fight club was absolutely different level to anything else you could watch at that time. It was so gritty in a time where romcoms ruled and were being churned out at an alarming rate. This is all post 80s, where ultra violence was the norm in films.

Some of the concepts used in fight club were visionary at the time. The film m night shamalaned the f**k out of the industry and world before m night shamalan was a thing.

Hard to explain, but that film was ground breaking and spoke to a lot of people about the underlying frustrations in society.

Goodfellas was GOAT too. It was so well received because there were probably a lot of people that could relate to that film back then because they were old enough to remember the times.

That and John gotti trails etc. And the mob making big moves still at around thst time. People will always be fascinated by criminality, but stories of the mob were pretty real and top of the agenda around then and a few years before.

Again, films for a mature audience were limited around the time it came out so Tarantino scorcese etc. tapped into a forgotten need that was missing back then.

Nowadays, even tv series are showing that level of gratuitous violence but back then it wasn't really like that.

That and they both have fantastic scripts / acting make them iconic movies imo.

Both incredible movies. But I remember things differently. The 80s and 90s era of cinema were blood soaked. The big blockbuster movies were filled with sex and violence. It was everywhere. I don’t recall too many gangster movies in the 80s except Scarface, so maybe that’s what you mean but the action movies were ridiculous. Conan, Robocop, Terminator, Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, 48 Hours….all violent with the mandatory sex/nudity scene.

Cinema is just so different now. It’s much softer and films are made for a family audience. Heck, they’ve remade most of the franchises I just mentioned for cinema and most have been released with a pussified 12 or 12a certificate. TV is definitely more mature and violent than cinema at the moment. It’s a role reversal.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Ach » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:42 pm

Oscar nominees are out

Black Panther pretty much a guarantee for best film. No infinity war when it's arguably the greatest film ever is hilarious but highlights the stuffiness of the Oscars.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:07 am

Halloween (2018).

Dear God.

They've made about 10 follow up films over 40 years and they're all shit.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Pudpop » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:00 am

Ach wrote:Oscar nominees are out

Black Panther pretty much a guarantee for best film. No infinity war when it's arguably the greatest film ever is hilarious but highlights the stuffiness of the Oscars.

Infinity war isn't even the best marvel movie

Hell it's arguably not even the best avenger movie
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:34 pm

Pudpop wrote:
Ach wrote:Oscar nominees are out

Infinity war isn't even the best marvel movie

Hell it's arguably not even the best avenger movie

Fenice is going to come for your head when he sees this.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

PreviousNext

Return to Films