General Movie Discussion Thread

Re: Last movie you watched

Postby Angelito » Wed May 09, 2018 1:20 pm

UFGN wrote:
Angelito wrote:
UFGN wrote:Who's seen Victoria?

Full length single shot movie shot in Berlin

It's a good movie and obviously, an impressive cinematic feat.

The plot is interesting too even if it's not entirely original with the whole robbery thing. But the movie is more than just mere gimmick.

I'd recommend it. Great performance by Laia Costa.

I've seen it. I agree

The plot is unoriginal but you can forgive it almost anything when you consider the amazing cinematography.

It's not a bad movie in its own right but the single shot element makes it so exciting to watch.

It makes it very intense to watch and also you find yourself really rooting for the cameraman not to make a mistake!

Yep. I was amazed the whole time.

I read that they filmed the entire movie in three takes. The first was sub-par. The second was overtly aggressive and the third was just right acc to Schipper (the director).

Imagine if the cinematographer had stumbled, or the actors had forgotten lines...

Risky but worth it. I bet it was a thrilling experience to make it. Even more impressive if you consider that much of the dialogs and sequences were improvised.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Wed May 09, 2018 1:45 pm

Angelito wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Angelito wrote:

The plot is interesting too even if it's not entirely original with the whole robbery thing. But the movie is more than just mere gimmick.

I've seen it. I agree

The plot is unoriginal but you can forgive it almost anything when you consider the amazing cinematography.

It's not a bad movie in its own right but the single shot element makes it so exciting to watch.

It makes it very intense to watch and also you find yourself really rooting for the cameraman not to make a mistake!

I read that they filmed the entire movie in three takes. The first was sub-par. The second was overtly aggressive and the third was just right acc to Schipper (the director).

Imagine if the cinematographer had stumbled, or the actors had forgotten lines...

Risky but worth it. I bet it was a thrilling experience to make it. Even more impressive if you consider that much of the dialogs and sequences were improvised.

I got the impression that there were replacement cameramen hidden out of shot who took over the shot at various points. Otherwise the guy would have to have been an athlete to cope with it physically.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Fenice » Wed May 09, 2018 2:41 pm

Ach wrote:
Fenice wrote:Infinity War, epic. Better than Infinity Gauntlet comics. So, very, good.

Also, lul to DC. They’re bringing on Shazam to do their Darkseid big movie arc. Good luck with Thanos lite and the shite writing team. Hahaha

I've never read the comics.

There's probably thousands of them so I never will. Do the films follow the comics?

And yeah DC need to step it up. They have batman and superman ffs. Probably the most famous superheroes of all time. How can they get it so wrong? I liked justice league but compare it to infinity war it's piss poor.

If DC can get up to marvels level then we truly have the greatest era of films of all time. Probably already is thanks to marvel.

They borrow a bit, there’s some nods to it and the general story is there, but the actual fight is so much better in the movie. And the ending is just ok in the comics. Hoping for an insane ending for the movie.

No joke, I was clapping like I was 12 for the Thor scene. People stood up in my theatre and shouted. I’ve never felt as much like a young child, just reading a comic before. It reminds me what movies are really capable of.

Now, the comic directly after, Infinity War, which covers the aftermath, is one of my favorite of all time. I’d be curious to see if they do it, or just cover some of it in the second movie.

I don’t know that DC can ever catch up. Poor writing for too long, taking for granted the riches of characters and branding they have at their disposal. But that’s what they were. They had very good characters and few epic stories. Marvel always had that over them, Marvel pushed world building, social issues, politics, etc. It’s now paying off in movie form.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Angelito » Wed May 09, 2018 2:48 pm

UFGN wrote:
Angelito wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Angelito wrote:

I've seen it. I agree

I got the impression that there were replacement cameramen hidden out of shot who took over the shot at various points. Otherwise the guy would have to have been an athlete to cope with it physically.

I watched the movie in 2015 (early 2016?), so I can't say for sure - but I believe they may have used VFX to mask some of the cuts. Although, they didn't use it as extensively as Iñárritu did in Birdman, which was, in essence, one scene, one shot - aided by the special use of VFX.

Of course, the assistant cinematographers did aid Grovlen (the cinematographer) throughout.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Wed May 09, 2018 2:54 pm

Angelito wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Angelito wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Angelito wrote:

I've seen it. I agree

I watched the movie in 2015 (early 2016?), so I can't say for sure - but I believe they may have used VFX to mask some of the cuts. Although, they didn't use it as extensively as Iñárritu did in Birdman, which was, in essence, one scene, one shot - aided by the special use of VFX.

Of course, the assistant cinematographers did aid Grovlen (the cinematographer) throughout.

I think it is honest. It is one take.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Angelito » Wed May 09, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: DC Comics

Just to chip in, while Batman and Superman are more popular—arguable as Marvel has Spiderman—Superman is a generic superhero on the surface. Batman is layered and complex, but so is Spiderman.

People want to watch flawed Superheroes - those who are heroic despite not being invincible. Marvel has done a better job of presenting such characters. Whether it's Iron Man or Captain America, these characters are flawed, yet great. It does help that MCU has better writers and DC seems to be in all sort of a mess.

There's a reason—despite all hyperactive craze of Marvel movies—Nolan's first two Batman movies and Raimi's second Spiderman movie are considered the benchmark. Heck, there's Burton's Batman movies that have been better - and I don't even rate them as highly.

For me, there have been two standout movies from MCU—Iron Man (2008) and Captain America: Winter Soldier (2014). None of them as good as Raimi's Spiderman 2 or Nolan's Batman Begins, yet.

P.S. Haven't watched Black Panther.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Fenice » Wed May 09, 2018 3:10 pm

Watch Black Panther. It exemplifies what Marvel is and can be. It’s a good movie period, regardless of origin or source material. You feel for every character.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed May 09, 2018 6:06 pm

Angelito wrote:Re: DC Comics

Just to chip in, while Batman and Superman are more popular—arguable as Marvel has Spiderman—Superman is a generic superhero on the surface. Batman is layered and complex, but so is Spiderman.

People want to watch flawed Superheroes - those who are heroic despite not being invincible. Marvel has done a better job of presenting such characters. Whether it's Iron Man or Captain America, these characters are flawed, yet great. It does help that MCU has better writers and DC seems to be in all sort of a mess.

There's a reason—despite all hyperactive craze of Marvel movies—Nolan's first two Batman movies and Raimi's second Spiderman movie are considered the benchmark. Heck, there's Burton's Batman movies that have been better - and I don't even rate them as highly.

For me, there have been two standout movies from MCU—Iron Man (2008) and Captain America: Winter Soldier (2014). None of them as good as Raimi's Spiderman 2 or Nolan's Batman Begins, yet.

P.S. Haven't watched Black Panther.

Not for me.

I think Nolans Batman is viewed through rose tinted glasses because it was good for its time.

When I watch those movies today its nowhere near as entertaining as some of Marvel's properties, Guardians of the Galaxy, Thor Ragnorok, Civil War etc are all more entertaining.

Nolan's Batman's are overlong, over somber, they were good for their time but on repeat viewing its a struggle.

Tbf I'm sick of hearing about them, in today's standards they'd be viewed as "good", not the lofty 10/10 status they seem to enjoy because they had no peers at the time.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Fenice » Wed May 09, 2018 6:15 pm

I’d have to agree with DG.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ach » Wed May 09, 2018 6:27 pm

Fenice wrote:
Ach wrote:
Fenice wrote:Infinity War, epic. Better than Infinity Gauntlet comics. So, very, good.

Also, lul to DC. They’re bringing on Shazam to do their Darkseid big movie arc. Good luck with Thanos lite and the shite writing team. Hahaha

I've never read the comics.

There's probably thousands of them so I never will. Do the films follow the comics?

And yeah DC need to step it up. They have batman and superman ffs. Probably the most famous superheroes of all time. How can they get it so wrong? I liked justice league but compare it to infinity war it's piss poor.

If DC can get up to marvels level then we truly have the greatest era of films of all time. Probably already is thanks to marvel.

They borrow a bit, there’s some nods to it and the general story is there, but the actual fight is so much better in the movie. And the ending is just ok in the comics. Hoping for an insane ending for the movie.

No joke, I was clapping like I was 12 for the Thor scene. People stood up in my theatre and shouted. I’ve never felt as much like a young child, just reading a comic before. It reminds me what movies are really capable of.

Now, the comic directly after, Infinity War, which covers the aftermath, is one of my favorite of all time. I’d be curious to see if they do it, or just cover some of it in the second movie.

I don’t know that DC can ever catch up. Poor writing for too long, taking for granted the riches of characters and branding they have at their disposal. But that’s what they were. They had very good characters and few epic stories. Marvel always had that over them, Marvel pushed world building, social issues, politics, etc. It’s now paying off in movie form.

The film hit my emotions hard. The Thor bit, i was like f**k yes. Other bits, close to tears.

Love this film. Thanos made me hate him which shows how good he was. Hes a villain and supposed to be hated.

Looking forward to the next one. No idea whats going to happen. I have my theories which probably are the same as others.

Ant Man and the Wasp is the next film which is based before Infinity War so wont get mant answers there but first Ant Man was quality so expect this to be

Ms Marvel though, i know literally nothing about her. One of the bad things about never reading the comics. No idea what her powers are but that film will set up Avengers 4.

2019 looking like the GOAT year especially with GoT final season on as well

DC have a long way to go. Hope they can do it
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Fenice » Wed May 09, 2018 6:34 pm

Ant Man was surprisingly good. Saw on a flight because it was the only thing I hadn’t seen already. Was shocked how good it ended up being.

Ms. Marvel, well you’ve seen how strong Thor is now? Stronger. Also, small tiny comic book hint. That axe Thor is wielding, it wasn’t supposed to be for him.... cannot wait. My body is ready Marvel, have at me.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed May 09, 2018 7:17 pm

The Dark Knight is still comfortably better than anything Marvel have produced and will always be the standard by which all other good superhero movies are judged.

Batman Begins was bland though I agree.

I would also add that "more entertaining" doesn't automatically equate to being better.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Ach » Wed May 09, 2018 7:20 pm

Nah

I loved dark knight and the one after. Best superhero film I'd seen at the time. By a distance. Also loved burtons batman with Nicholson as joker.

Then came marvel. Superhero game was changed forever. Infinity war comfortably the best ever.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby LegendaryKeown » Wed May 09, 2018 7:31 pm

Dark Knight was awesome
When you give a voice to stupid people, it makes them more stupid and not more intelligent
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed May 09, 2018 7:38 pm

Btw Black Panther has to be among the most overrated movies of all time.

Really feel it was propped up by all the racial issues in America and people tried to make it seem like the film was something deep and significant, as if it's a cultural movement.

None of the characters were likeable apart from his sister and the leader of that gorilla tribe. Fight scenes were also trash.

Don't know how it got so much hype but it definitely had a lot to do with the Black Power theme and all black cast.

Not close to Marvel's best.

Also Michael B Jordan is easily the worst ever "villain", it was like watching someone do a bad impression of an LA gangster, so corny.

Couldn't take him seriously.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

PreviousNext

Return to Films