IMDb and the collapse of civilised society

IMDb and the collapse of civilised society

Postby Good_Eye_Sniper » Tue May 20, 2008 9:08 pm

Yes, in the words of Troy Mclure, you may remember me from such rants as the spelling and grammar debate thread, and I suppose this is a follow up to it.

Does anyone here frequent IMDb? I get a lot of my movie info from there, and only just recently realised that there is a forum on there for every movie featured.

Impressive! I hear you cry :biggrin: Yes, that's what I thought too, until I actually read some of the "contributions" :rolleyes:

It's like someone gave a laptop to a demented chimp :dizzy:

I'm serious, I bet if you typed in, say, Star Wars for example, you'll see something like this :

"I think this is film abowt man with magik power and have fathur hu is rowbot. It gud film, I liek the gold man an his pet dusbin"

:uhoh: :think: :no:

Has anyone seen the film "Idiocracy" ? It's happening, the world is becoming quite staggeringly stupid

Does it wind anyone else up, or is it just me? :sundae:
Good_Eye_Sniper
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Re: IMDb and the collapse of civilised society

Postby ScottishLass » Tue May 20, 2008 9:15 pm

Ive been seen to be typing like a gimp sometimes.. Just because its easy to do.. But as soon as I realised how annoying it actually is i've started typing properly again lol..
ScottishLass
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue May 20, 2008 9:17 pm

Yes I have seen Idiocracy and it's scary.
All the early signs are in place I tell you.... :crybaby:
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby sithlordwebb72 » Tue May 20, 2008 9:18 pm

yeah, it really annoys me as well!

theres this girl i know who always spells text like that and i have to spend ages figuring out what they say?

apparently ou = out? or something wierd like that?
i dont text her often evidently lol.

LOVE ARSENAL? HATE USMANOV!
sithlordwebb72
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Fabrestuta » Tue May 20, 2008 9:20 pm

I actually have reviewed quite a few films on IMDB, no chance I'm telling anyone my username so don't ask :wink: but I have only browsed the forum a few times. Its full of fanboys or halfwits who can't write a proper review.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Good_Eye_Sniper » Tue May 20, 2008 9:21 pm

ScottishLass wrote:Ive been seen to be typing like a gimp sometimes.. Just because its easy to do.. But as soon as I realised how annoying it actually is i've started typing properly again lol..

It's not just the typing thing though, it's the fact that, in some of the posts on IMDb (probably on a lot of other sites to), you can actually see the abject stupidity flowing from every (what I loosely describe as a) word.

There is a definite difference between "text speak", which we can all be guilty of to some degree occasionally, and something that quite obviously comes from someone who needs help tying their shoelaces in the morning :?

Look to IMDb for evidence of the latter!
Good_Eye_Sniper
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby sithlordwebb72 » Tue May 20, 2008 9:27 pm

and apparently

bou= but?

im just like..."Urm, NO!"

LOVE ARSENAL? HATE USMANOV!
sithlordwebb72
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Yorkyblue » Tue May 20, 2008 9:29 pm

Fabrestuta wrote: no chance I'm telling anyone my username.

Is it Fabrestuta? :P
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Good_Eye_Sniper » Tue May 20, 2008 9:30 pm

As much as I completely agree with the anti-text speakers, this thread is more about the people who put their fingers on the keys of their computers, press the buttons, but might as well just type "ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" :wacky: :rolleyes:
Good_Eye_Sniper
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby rogerthornhill » Tue May 20, 2008 9:35 pm

Good_Eye_Sniper wrote:"I think this is film abowt man with magik power and have fathur hu is rowbot. It gud film, I liek the gold man an his pet dusbin"

I thought it was all right, not one of my best but passable. I do visit IMDB on most days and there certainly are some dire contributions.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Fabrestuta » Tue May 20, 2008 9:39 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:
Fabrestuta wrote: no chance I'm telling anyone my username.

Is it Fabrestuta? :P

Lol no. I wrote my first review there about 3 years ago because I was annoyed at people going on and on about a film that was total tripe, but they were talking as if it was The Godfather.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue May 20, 2008 9:50 pm

Good_Eye_Sniper wrote:As much as I completely agree with the anti-text speakers, this thread is more about the people who put their fingers on the keys of their computers, press the buttons, but might as well just type "ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" :wacky: :rolleyes:

I see the same thing on http://www.Tripadvisor.com - fantastic web site for reviewing hotels and villas etc but sometimes you read a review of a hotel hoping to find out what the hotel and the general area is like and you get:

This hotell is top top draw man we where right pissd an that.
Had a reel good time, jon the boss is awsum gave us smokes evry day.
best holliday ever!!!!!!
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Yorkyblue » Tue May 20, 2008 10:01 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
Good_Eye_Sniper wrote:As much as I completely agree with the anti-text speakers, this thread is more about the people who put their fingers on the keys of their computers, press the buttons, but might as well just type "ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" :wacky: :rolleyes:

I see the same thing on http://www.Tripadvisor.com - fantastic web site for reviewing hotels and villas etc but sometimes you read a review of a hotel hoping to find out what the hotel and the general area is like and you get:

This hotell is top top draw man we where right pissd an that.
Had a reel good time, jon the boss is awsum gave us smokes evry day.
best holliday ever!!!!!!

Can you let me know the name of that hotel please? :biggrin:
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Reverend Gooner » Tue May 20, 2008 10:40 pm

Good_Eye_Sniper wrote:
Has anyone seen the film "Idiocracy" ? It's happening, the world is becoming quite staggeringly stupid

No but you have inspired me, it is buffering now and i will watch it tonight.

I hate all chav speak or unnecessary abuse of the english language. That star wars line is hilariously accurate to some of the garbage you can read on youtube comments.

I don't mind text speak in text messages (so long as it is not every other word) as it can save money but there is no need to integrate the style into other forms of communication. Following on the youtube example, if you have time to sit around watching youtube video's you have time to spend an extra 60 seconds making sure you write your comment in good english! The queen's english being preferable :snooty: :wink:
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Good_Eye_Sniper » Tue May 20, 2008 11:02 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:
Good_Eye_Sniper wrote:

No but you have inspired me, it is buffering now and i will watch it tonight.

I hate all chav speak or unnecessary abuse of the english language. That star wars line is hilariously accurate to some of the garbage you can read on youtube comments.

I don't mind text speak in text messages (so long as it is not every other word) as it can save money but there is no need to integrate the style into other forms of communication. Following on the youtube example, if you have time to sit around watching youtube video's you have time to spend an extra 60 seconds making sure you write your comment in good english! The queen's english being preferable :snooty: :wink:

Mate, Idiocracy is brilliant :lol:

But also a little worrying, as pointed out earlier - the signs are all there :shock:

And yes you are right, Youtube is another excellent example of what happens when cousins marry :? :scream:
Good_Eye_Sniper
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Next

Return to Films