The Happening

Re: The Happening

Postby Good_Eye_Sniper » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:47 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
Good_Eye_Sniper wrote:
ScottishLass wrote:Mmmmmmm Mark Whalberg (spelling?) :devilish: :devilish: :devilish:

I thought he was pretty good in "Shooter" and "Saw 2" :clap:

That was his brother Donny in Saw 2.

You say potato...

:sundae:
Good_Eye_Sniper
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:55 pm

Great to see you back GES! :heart:
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby Good_Eye_Sniper » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:56 pm

She_Gunner_Wales wrote:Great to see you back GES! :heart:

Aww shucks :1970_two_smileys_drinking_beer_together.gif: :sundae:
Good_Eye_Sniper
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby StLGooner » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:23 pm

Good_Eye_Sniper wrote:

It is great to see you back, but I'm still right about it being Donnie, and not Mark. :smartass:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Good_Eye_Sniper » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:26 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
Good_Eye_Sniper wrote:

It is great to see you back, but I'm still right about it being Donnie, and not Mark. :smartass:

Thanks mate
And It's spelt Donnie, but pronounced Mark :hehe:
Good_Eye_Sniper
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Good_Eye_Sniper » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:44 pm

Just watched this online this afternoon. Belting film :cheerleader:

I can see why it got a bit of a panning, because it wont appeal to the popcorn munching, "explain everything in minute detail so we can understand it", masses, but it's a real thought provoking, surprising, and in some places shocking movie.

Yes, that's right, shocking - this is M Night's first movie that goes beyond the mere implication of something nasty happening, and actually shows it. In detail. :shock:

I wont spoil it, but even as a hardened horror buff, I went "Oh my God!!" a few times (Maybe because you're not expecting something grim to happen in his movies, I don't know). The Zoo scene in particular, and that's all I'm going to give away :wink:

The concept is pretty "out there", but it gives a real sense of palpable panic and dread which is missing from a lot of what passes for a scary movie these days.

Highly recommended, and even though the ending is ripe for it, please Hollywood, do not ruin this movie with a tepid sequel

8/10
Good_Eye_Sniper
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Fabrestuta » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:54 am

I hate to disagree but this film is absolute dross. All the action happens in the first 10 minutes and the last 15 minutes. In between there's supposed to be the build up to the drama at the end (typical Shyamalan) but its awful.

Mark Wahlberg plays a decent tough guy, but as an everyman who just gets plonked in the middle of a tragedy he just can't do it, and as for Zoey Deschanel, good God did they have auditions? she is absolutely awful. I have seen trees that are less wooden.

This film is getting absolutely destroyed by critics, media, and about 90% of people who see it and for good reason, apart from a few scenes nothing happens, I know its supposed to be "a feeling of no where to run" but its hamfisted and boring, the actors are all wrong and his constant preaching about "destroying the planet" gets old. I know I sound bitter but all in all it cost me around $40 between tickets and snacks to see this rubbish.

As much as I hate to say it M. Night Shyamalan is finished. We got absolute shite like The Village and Lady in the water, and now this tripe. I will never ever pay to see one of his films again, and considering I loved The sixth sense and Signs, and liked Unbreakable, that makes me a sad panda.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Good_Eye_Sniper » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:11 pm

Well I liked it.

It's a good movie if you don't try to over-analyse it, and I didn't find it boring at all :sundae:

(Also, I know I'm not alone in thinking that The Village was excellent)
Good_Eye_Sniper
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby StLGooner » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:30 pm

Good_Eye_Sniper wrote:Well I liked it.

It's a good movie if you don't try to over-analyse it, and I didn't find it boring at all :sundae:

I loved the village. But I think we're a minority, cause everyone I know doesn't like it. I remember me being the only one in the theatre that walked out happy, everyone else hated the ending, but I thought it was great and tied in the whole movie perfectly. Plus I think Jaquin Phoenix did a good job in it even though he didn't say much.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Good_Eye_Sniper » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:16 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
Good_Eye_Sniper wrote:Well I liked it.

I loved the village. But I think we're a minority, cause everyone I know doesn't like it. I remember me being the only one in the theatre that walked out happy, everyone else hated the ending, but I thought it was great and tied in the whole movie perfectly. Plus I think Jaquin Phoenix did a good job in it even though he didn't say much.

Agreed.
It was a charming, quiet little movie, that was always going to appeal to a small niche audience, purely because it had that mood, feel and atmosphere to it, and I don't know too many people who enjoy that, other than me.

As I said in my original synopsis of "The Happening", it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that it's being given a run through the mangel at the moment, simply because movies like this are unfashionable these days. As for claims of tedium, well, that's just individual opinion, I was rivetted throughout :sundae:
Good_Eye_Sniper
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Fabrestuta » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:55 am

I wasn't just commenting on the plot, the acting is God awful. One of the leads is miscast and the other is just terrible.

Though 'one mans meat is another mans poison' and all that. If people enjoyed it all well and good. Personally I hated it.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Good_Eye_Sniper » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:07 am

I wouldn't go that far. It was never going to win any Oscars, but it wasn't horrendous acting.

Whatsername that was in Hitchhikers Guide was a bit wooden, but it didn't hamper my enjoyment of the film
Good_Eye_Sniper
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Previous

Return to Films