top 5 actors

Re: top 5 actors

Postby Fabrestuta » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:48 pm

Johnny Depp is a crap actor? When did this happen? He's a great actor, but because he's a pretty boy a lot of lads are afraid to say it in case they get slagged about being a puddner.

I also can't believe no one put Brad Pitt in their five, another amazing actor that a lot of lads are afraid to say they like for the above reason.

Anyhoo, in no order, and I'm leaving out some actors that used to be class (Nicholson, Pacino etc) but are a bit past it imo.

Edward Norton
Samuel L. Jackson
Brad Pitt
Christian Bale
Bruce Willis
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Inchpräctice » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:36 pm

Fabrestuta wrote:Johnny Depp is a crap actor? When did this happen? He's a great actor, but because he's a pretty boy a lot of lads are afraid to say it in case they get slagged about being a puddner.

I also can't believe no one put Brad Pitt in their five, another amazing actor that a lot of lads are afraid to say they like for the above reason.

Anyhoo, in no order, and I'm leaving out some actors that used to be class (Nicholson, Pacino etc) but are a bit past it imo.

Edward Norton
Samuel L. Jackson
Brad Pitt
Christian Bale
Bruce Willis

Nicholson past it??
No way man he's got better with age. At the start of his career he got loads of parts that weren't that far away from his character in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest i.e. crazy irishman.
These days with films such as Batman, 'As Good as it Gets' and 'About Schmidt' he's shown his versatility by playing quite different characters.

And Bruce Willis is in your top five? I suppose you like Nicholas Cage too...?
I can't understand it when people choose actors who just run around with guns and deliver 'cool' one-liners in their top five.
This thread is not about who you love to watch the most or which hollywood actor you'd most like to be (coolness personified).
It's about who is actually the BEST ACTOR i.e. who is best at completely sinking into the role so that you can barely remember who the actor is.
For me the best actors are the most versatile. They are chameleons who can play anyone, any age, any background, mentally sound or insane.

I don't think people are afraid to choose Brad Pitt it's just that he isn't all that great. He's not a bad actor it's just that there are far far better actors out there to choose from, like Johnny Depp for example.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Fabrestuta » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:17 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
Fabrestuta wrote:Johnny Depp is a crap actor? When did this happen? He's a great actor, but because he's a pretty boy a lot of lads are afraid to say it in case they get slagged about being a puddner.

Edward Norton
Samuel L. Jackson
Brad Pitt
Christian Bale
Bruce Willis

Nicholson past it??
No way man he's got better with age. At the start of his career he got loads of parts that weren't that far away from his character in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest i.e. crazy irishman.
These days with films such as Batman, 'As Good as it Gets' and 'About Schmidt' he's shown his versatility by playing quite different characters.

And Bruce Willis is in your top five? I suppose you like Nicholas Cage too...?
I can't understand it when people choose actors who just run around with guns and deliver 'cool' one-liners in their top five.
This thread is not about who you love to watch the most or which hollywood actor you'd most like to be (coolness personified).
It's about who is actually the BEST ACTOR i.e. who is best at completely sinking into the role so that you can barely remember who the actor is.
For me the best actors are the most versatile. They are chameleons who can play anyone, any age, any background, mentally sound or insane.

I don't think people are afraid to choose Brad Pitt it's just that he isn't all that great. He's not a bad actor it's just that there are far far better actors out there to choose from, like Johnny Depp for example.

Its just my opinion man, Nicholson just plays crotchety old men now, I don't think he's the actor he used to be. As for Bruce Willis, I didn't say he was one of the 5 best actors, the topic doesn't say anything about BEST actors, its says top 5 as in YOUR top 5, I just like Bruce Willis, sue me.

And how the hell can you say Brad Pitt isn't that good? Have you seen Se7en, 12 Monkeys, Seven years in Tibet? Thats absolutely absurd if you say he's not a good actor.

This is all about opinion, and I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to belittle me and force me who to like or not like.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Inchpräctice » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:40 pm

Fabrestuta wrote:
Its just my opinion man, Nicholson just plays crotchety old men now, I don't think he's the actor he used to be. As for Bruce Willis, I didn't say he was one of the 5 best actors, the topic doesn't say anything about BEST actors, its says top 5 as in YOUR top 5, I just like Bruce Willis, sue me.

And how the hell can you say Brad Pitt isn't that good? Have you seen Se7en, 12 Monkeys, Seven years in Tibet? Thats absolutely absurd if you say he's not a good actor.

This is all about opinion, and I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to belittle me and force me who to like or not like.

Nicholson plays older men because he's an older man himself but that has nothing to do with his acting ability.
It's about how convincing he is in the role not whether the character is young and cool. He's a very engaging, watchable actor and that's why so many people love him.

Yes I have seen those films and he was good. I didn't say Pitt wasn't a good actor I said he wasn't that great. If you think about the 'great' actors around today he doesn't exactly spring to mind.
In your top 5 you've mentioned Christian Bale and Edward Norton - great choices and both of them are way ahead of Pitt in terms of ability imo.
I just don't think he's in the same league as those guys and he'll probably continue to get typecast without complaining too much about it.

When it comes to belittling you, don't confuse passionate debate with personal insults. If it sounded like belittling then I apologise but it was meant to spark further debate more than anything else.
I can't force you to like or dislike anyone - that's impossible surely? I'm only giving my reasons why I disagree with you and I hoped that you would do the same with my choices. That's what it's all about I think.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Fabrestuta » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:51 pm

Giving opinions on why you disagree is one thing, but saying " and I suppose you like Nicholas Cage" as in you're one of those morons who just likes explosions, also you said "its not who you think is cool or want to be" what the hell am I supposed to take from that?
Maybe you didn't mean it, but you might think of previewing your posts, because you basically called me a muppet with no clue just because you disagreed with me.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Inchpräctice » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:04 pm

Fabrestuta wrote:Giving opinions on why you disagree is one thing, but saying " and I suppose you like Nicholas Cage" as in you're one of those morons who just likes explosions, also you said "its not who you think is cool or want to be" what the hell am I supposed to take from that?
Maybe you didn't mean it, but you might think of previewing your posts, because you basically called me a muppet with no clue just because you disagreed with me.

When you isolate those sentences they sound worse than they are but they were in a context.
There are plenty of actors who I think are cool and I could start a thread called 'top 5 coolest actors' or 'actors you wish you were'. There's nothing sad about that at all it's just not relevant to the thread imo.
I went on a rant because I get so irate when people say things like "Nicholas Cage is such a good actor" when what they really mean is "I loved his last 3 films and the the cool expressions on his face when he shot people".
That has nothing to do with acting. If he delivers a cool one-liner then credit the scriptwriter not the actor.
Anyway the rant was not meant to offend anyone and I'm happy to delete the post if you want.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Fabrestuta » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:00 pm

Forget about it man, its no big deal. As I said, I don't think Bruce Willis is one of the best actors in the world, I just like him in films.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby mogsy182gooner » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:11 pm

1.jack nicholson
2.kevin spacey
3.christian bale
4.denzel washington
5.dustin hoffman

cant belevie your all having discussions about the top actors and didnt mention jack nicholson!!! nor kevin spacey!! usual suspects ppl plus hoffman rain man anyone? yet you put bruce willis in there i mean the guys cool as f**k but best actor?

how about actresses? its hard to pick as you end up picking the best looking lol
1.Kate Winslett
2.Nicole Kidman
3Hillary Swank
4.Anna Faris
5.Amy Smart
mogsy182gooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Fabrestuta » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:29 pm

I haven't really got a top 5 actresses but Nathalie Portman is class. Hilary Swank is great also. I like Maggie Smith as well when she plays a bitter old woman.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Good_Eye_Sniper » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:54 pm

1. Jack Nicholson
2. Al Pacino
3. Richard E Grant (if only for his staggering performance in Withnail & I)
4. Johnny Depp
5. Ed Harris

5th choice might be controversial, but the CPR scene in The Abyss still gives me chills - inspired performance :1:
Good_Eye_Sniper
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby mogsy182gooner » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:02 pm

good shout good eye on pacino cant believe i missed him out
mogsy182gooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby niko197 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:19 pm

1.denzel washington - he`s DENZEL
2.bruce willis - die hard
3.mel gibson - brave hart,
4.jim carey - the best comedian ever
5.will smith - fresh prince
6.robin williams (great actor, to bad that 90% of his movies are crap) - great stand up comedian
7.kevin costner - a perfect world, dances with wolves
8.tom hanks - forest gump
9.nicolas cage
10.al pacino - the legend
11.robert de niro - the legend
12.only fools and horses - the whole crew

i know it`s not five but i couldn`t left out anyone.
niko197
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Good_Eye_Sniper » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:28 pm

mogsy182gooner wrote:good shout good eye on pacino cant believe i missed him out

Mogsy - check out the thread I posted with his speech from "Any Given Sunday" mate

WHAT a speech :0 :1:
Good_Eye_Sniper
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby ozgooner » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:31 am

that needs a bullet !!!

1. will ferrell
2. ben stiller
3. rowan atkinson
4. kevin costner
5. keanu reeves

"I started clapping myself , until i realised i was Sunderlands manager" - Peter Reid admires a Dennis Bergkamp finish
ozgooner
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Fordy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:34 am

1. Al Pacino
2.de neiro
3.Brad pitt
4. Johnny Depp
5. Nick cage
Fordy

PreviousNext