Your top 10

Re: Your top 10

Postby Dubs4Sam » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:11 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Dubs4Sam wrote:
ThisIsNotAnID wrote:
Angelito wrote:Loved Black Swan man. The Red Shoes meets Repulsion.

On Inception, to add, if you look at it closely, it's basically an action movie. It works on a template. Nolan's intelligent filmmaking made it a pioneering Hollywood Blockbuster, yet it's no different to Die Hard. :hiding:

If there is one thing you can't say about Inception, it's reducing it to one specific genre. Yes it's an action movie, but it's also a heist movie, sci-fi, and there are even surrealistic elements there as well as noir (as in most of Nolan's movies).

Also, simply calling it a good Hollywood blockbuster isn't doing it any justice - or maybe you simply don't like it which is perfectly understandable. I doubt there'll be more than a handful of comparable blockbusters for the rest of the decade. I think the script had more to do with its success than Nolan's "sophisticated" filmmaking and it's probably still is a whole lot smarter than people give it credit for.

Then again, it's my favorite movie of all time so take my word with a grain of salt.

Nice post and description of Inception it has to be said.

But yet still no Oscar for Poor Leonardo ha ha.

Convinced there is an actual conspiracy against him.

He should've won one hands down for his performance in What's Eating Gilbert Grape? The best performance by a child actor I've ever seen.

Played a child with mental development issues, very difficult role, but he got all the ticks and subtleties spot on.

He is taking on a role now about a guy who had 24 personalities each with their own individual traits if he doesnt get it for that role (I have no doubt he will pull it off) he defo never will.

I think his performance in Shutter Island along with WOFWS are brilliant and I think The Beach was also amazing his film titles are a list of excellant acting performances.
Dubs4Sam
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:21 pm

Dubs4Sam wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Dubs4Sam wrote:
ThisIsNotAnID wrote:
Angelito wrote:Loved Black Swan man. The Red Shoes meets Repulsion.

On Inception, to add, if you look at it closely, it's basically an action movie. It works on a template. Nolan's intelligent filmmaking made it a pioneering Hollywood Blockbuster, yet it's no different to Die Hard. :hiding:

If there is one thing you can't say about Inception, it's reducing it to one specific genre. Yes it's an action movie, but it's also a heist movie, sci-fi, and there are even surrealistic elements there as well as noir (as in most of Nolan's movies).

Also, simply calling it a good Hollywood blockbuster isn't doing it any justice - or maybe you simply don't like it which is perfectly understandable. I doubt there'll be more than a handful of comparable blockbusters for the rest of the decade. I think the script had more to do with its success than Nolan's "sophisticated" filmmaking and it's probably still is a whole lot smarter than people give it credit for.

Then again, it's my favorite movie of all time so take my word with a grain of salt.

Nice post and description of Inception it has to be said.

But yet still no Oscar for Poor Leonardo ha ha.

Convinced there is an actual conspiracy against him.

He should've won one hands down for his performance in What's Eating Gilbert Grape? The best performance by a child actor I've ever seen.

Played a child with mental development issues, very difficult role, but he got all the ticks and subtleties spot on.

He is taking on a role now about a guy who had 24 personalities each with their own individual traits if he doesnt get it for that role (I have no doubt he will pull it off) he defo never will.

I think his performance in Shutter Island along with WOFWS are brilliant and I think The Beach was also amazing his film titles are a list of excellant acting performances.

Didn't know about that new role of his, will have to keep an eye out.

Personally think The Aviator is DiCaprio's most accomplished performance; watching him succumb to his OCD and ultimately descend into paranoid madness was phenomenal.

The Revenant comes out later this year, expecting it to be a contender for film of the year. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if Tom Hardy outshines Leo.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Jackson » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:54 pm

Fenice wrote:Going to jump in a bit late. I agree with everything in your list Angelito, except one. I absolutely cannot stand the Artist. I purposely forced myself to watch it all the way through and I thought it was plodding and more of a caricature than a love letter to old movies.
Agreed, it's total rubbish. A 'novelty' film for people who've never seen a classic silent movie.
Jackson
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby ThisIsNotAnID » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:45 pm

Jackson wrote:
Fenice wrote:Going to jump in a bit late. I agree with everything in your list Angelito, except one. I absolutely cannot stand the Artist. I purposely forced myself to watch it all the way through and I thought it was plodding and more of a caricature than a love letter to old movies.
Agreed, it's total rubbish. A 'novelty' film for people who've never seen a classic silent movie.

WOW!
ThisIsNotAnID

Postby Fenice » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:08 pm

ThisIsNotAnID wrote:
Jackson wrote:

WOW!

He might be a bit rough, but honestly it comes off as more of a novelty, a look at how things used to be, weren't things grand, nostalgic sentiment than anything else. That's just my opinion though.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby CynicalGooner » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:59 pm

Leo will win an Oscar for the Revenant I reckon. Thats's goona be this years critical hit
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Callum » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:19 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:Leo will win an Oscar for the Revenant I reckon. Thats's goona be this years critical hit

I think he'd definitely be in the mix but there'll be a lot of competition this year. Fassbender as Steve Jobs will almost certainly get him a nomination.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:27 am

I grew up with silent/black and white movies, being lucky enough to see several restored in theatres, the latest one being The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, which was amazingly disturbing, and to me personally, The Artist was a huge let down.

I can understand your sentiment. Personally, it was the nostalgia factor that did it for me. And, it would be very, very unfair to compare it to the likes of Caligari, Golem, Nosferatu, Metropolis, Potemkin, et al. Those are classics. This was an imitation of a classic - a homage to the silent era.

CynicalGooner wrote:Leo will win an Oscar for the Revenant I reckon. Thats's goona be this years critical hit

I think there's a strong chance that he will. If the movie lives up, it may sweep the floor. Iñárritu won it with Birdman last year, so that'll be a factor. Would Oscars be willing to give his movie all the glamour again?
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Fenice » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:36 pm

Completely understand what you mean Angelito. And actually if we had a top 20 a few of the silent movies you listed would make it for me.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Est83 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:00 pm

Inception is bollocks.

Matrix over Inception any day.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Apollo » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:39 pm

Im not even being funny, and this is not even directed at you.

But this is the worst part of of cinema for me,the worst part of the academy awards especially.

When films haven't been released yet and such things can be said

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Angelito » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:58 pm

Apollo wrote:

But this is the worst part of of cinema for me,the worst part of the academy awards especially.

That's the Oscars for ya!
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby CynicalGooner » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:06 pm

Apollo wrote:

Why's that so bad

Most people with any sense can tell if a film will be any good from the trailer.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:47 pm

Apollo wrote:

Director of Birdman + good plot + Leo + Tom Hardy

I'd be shocked if this film isn't well received.

Nothing wrong with anticipating a strong performance from Leo, he's hardly likely to flop.

I'd wager Fassbender, Depp and DiCaprio will all be nominated for best actor.

Fassbender will win though because of the subject matter if nothing else, Apple has the world in a trance and America is infatuated with Steve Jobs - it will be like a posthumous award for his legacy.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Callum » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:35 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Fassbender will win though because of the subject matter if nothing else, Apple has the world in a trance and America is infatuated with Steve Jobs - it will be like a posthumous award for his legacy.

Even if the films shows him to be a bad father and a general bastard?
Callum
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Films