The books to film adaptation still wants to make me cry

Shouldve done so so much better
Ach
SE13
SE13

Re: JK Rowling and Her Fantastic Myth

Postby LMAO » Sat May 19, 2018 3:22 am

Angelito wrote:Btw, what do you guys think of the Cursed Child? :P

Never bothered with it. Can't get into plays for some reason, even classics like Macbeth and Death of a Saleman. Also, the synopsis seems like it's poorly written fanfic.

Wish Rowling would write wizard-focused novels centered around the Americas, sub-Saharan Africa, India, and East Asia—even the Middle East with djinn/genies interacting with students at a wizarding school would be cool.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Pudpop » Sat May 19, 2018 6:26 am

Ach wrote:The books to film adaptation still wants to make me cry

Shouldve done so so much better
I don't get this opinion. The film's were great. Sure they were hit and miss at some points, but when you're adapting books with as much detail as these you're bound to make mistakes along the way.

Meanwhile I think that a lot of what we got from the movies was beyond expectation. The soundtrack (and I'm not just talking about the famous John Williams songs, I'm also talking about the later movies) has been one of my favourite parts of this universe for a long time now. To this day I maintain that the Deathly Hallows part 1 enhanced the story told in the first half of the Deathly Hallows,

Then there's the best (and in my opinion, the most important) part of the movies: the casting. The number of actors who portrayed characters so well that I can't separate them from my own visualization of the character is staggering. Ron, Snape, Umbridge, Slughorn, Hagrid, McGonagall, Lucius and Draco, Bellatrix, Moody and Luna among others I'm sure I'm missing were brilliantly cast.

I don't get the hate for the movies, mainly because i think people expect too much from adaptations. I blame Lord of the Rings for this

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Pudpop » Sat May 19, 2018 6:27 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Anyway, always wanted to delve into the Harry Potter saga and this thread has piqued my interest again.

Maybe after I finish my current book.
If you find yourself getting frustrated with reading it too slowly like with other books, I've heard that the audio books for the series are fantastic. I haven't listened to them myself but I've heard enough that i can still recommend them

Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby LegendaryKeown » Sat May 19, 2018 3:04 pm

Do people actually like Deathly Hallows (The book)? Loved the rest but the last one just dragged on and on and on and that camping thing had to be the saddest chapters I've seen written in literary history. Made Jane Austen look exciting in some of them which could be summed up as
Ron: I'm hungry
Harry: There's no food
Ron: My mom makes food
Hermione: Why do I make food?

On Hallows itself, I remember when that online leaked version came out. I read three chapters and thought this couldn't be real. It sadly was.
When you give a voice to stupid people, it makes them more stupid and not more intelligent
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Ach » Sat May 19, 2018 4:05 pm

The battle in the books was quality.

In the film they hardly showed it
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sat May 19, 2018 4:36 pm

Luckily I haven't seen the films.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Angelito » Sat May 19, 2018 5:16 pm

Pudpop wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Pudpop wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:Genuinely think I'm slightly dyslexic because I love to read but I'm slow af.

It's very frustrating.
You don't seem to make spelling errors in your posts so with my completely unprofessional guess I'd wager you aren't dyslexic. How often do you read? In general practice will help you read faster as well.

I'm generally working on a book at any given time. Practice isn't the issue; I read a lot, I just don't get through them quickly.

I read Ang's post and I think that's it, the context is what matters.

Just started Absalom, Absalom! recently and I don't think I've ever taken so long to get through 50 pages.

Though I do like to savour books so reading slowly isn't all bad.
Yeah the type of book really matters. For example I struggle to get through Lord of the Rings

Ditto on LOTR. It took me ages to complete the books.

LMAO wrote:
Angelito wrote:Btw, what do you guys think of the Cursed Child? :P

Never bothered with it. Can't get into plays for some reason, even classics like Macbeth and Death of a Saleman. Also, the synopsis seems like it's poorly written fanfic.

Wish Rowling would write wizard-focused novels centered around the Americas, sub-Saharan Africa, India, and East Asia—even the Middle East with djinn/genies interacting with students at a wizarding school would be cool.

I don't trust Rowling these days, with all the revisionism. She's already violated various rules in Fantastic Beasts. Rowling tries to remain politically relevant and she'll do anything for that - even ruin the Harry Potter universe. The way she obliterated Native American history in Fantastic Beasts was telling.

LegendaryKeown wrote:Do people actually like Deathly Hallows (The book)? Loved the rest but the last one just dragged on and on and on and that camping thing had to be the saddest chapters I've seen written in literary history. Made Jane Austen look exciting in some of them which could be summed up as
Ron: I'm hungry
Harry: There's no food
Ron: My mom makes food
Hermione: Why do I make food?

On Hallows itself, I remember when that online leaked version came out. I read three chapters and thought this couldn't be real. It sadly was.

Deathly Hallows was rapid. It was tour de force compared to other books. I didn't have a problem with the camping and their journey. My gripe is with Rowling exploiting deus ex machina as many as five times in one single book! The horcrux hunt had also become somewhat hilarious by the end, especially Ravenclaw's diadem and Hufflepuff's cup.

Destroying horcruxes and sipping butterbeer, one step at a time. :rolleyes:
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby LegendaryKeown » Sat May 19, 2018 5:49 pm

I disagree on the rapid thing. It became rapid towards the end because Rowling spent two thirds of the book on three people who did absolutely nothing except get captured.

Until Harry and co break into Gringott's, they

a) Camp
b) Almost get killed
c) Camp again
d) Overhear gossip
e) Ron Leaves
f) Overhear Gossip
g) Camp
h) Almost get killed AGAIN
i) Ron Returns
j) THEY ACTUALLY DESTROY ONE HORCRUX
k) Actually get captured

Then we get the whole book in the last few chapters. We should have seen Neville's point of view instead of that boring camping garbage we got for nearly a quarter of the book
When you give a voice to stupid people, it makes them more stupid and not more intelligent
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby LegendaryKeown » Sat May 19, 2018 5:50 pm

I read rapidly as well. Probably why I read a book 3-4 times minimum because I skim read the first time, then figure out something I missed on a later reading.
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Pudpop » Sat May 19, 2018 6:12 pm

LegendaryKeown wrote:I disagree on the rapid thing. It became rapid towards the end because Rowling spent two thirds of the book on three people who did absolutely nothing except get captured.

a) Camp
b) Almost get killed
c) Camp again
d) Overhear gossip
e) Ron Leaves
f) Overhear Gossip
g) Camp
i) Ron Returns
k) Actually get captured

Then we get the whole book in the last few chapters. We should have seen Neville's point of view instead of that boring camping garbage we got for nearly a quarter of the book

You've missed the point of the camping mate. I get why you might call it boring but if Rowling leaves out that part the story suffers immensely imo. An action packed final book where it goes from battle to battle fighting for horcruxes wouldn't have been true to the story in the other books.

Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby LegendaryKeown » Sat May 19, 2018 6:17 pm

Pudpop wrote:
LegendaryKeown wrote:I disagree on the rapid thing. It became rapid towards the end because Rowling spent two thirds of the book on three people who did absolutely nothing except get captured.

a) Camp
b) Almost get killed
c) Camp again
d) Overhear gossip
e) Ron Leaves
f) Overhear Gossip
g) Camp
i) Ron Returns
k) Actually get captured

You've missed the point of the camping mate. I get why you might call it boring but if Rowling leaves out that part the story suffers immensely imo. An action packed final book where it goes from battle to battle fighting for horcruxes wouldn't have been true to the story in the other books.

I get that, I still think it went on way too long. Also Bill's wedding and some of the shit before it.

Other than that, some of the stuff that Rowling makes up just for the 7th book is ridiculous. The wand thing, for one, which was never mentioned before. How many times has Harry been disarmed? Surely he shouldn't have owned his own wand at some point too.
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Angelito » Sat May 19, 2018 6:26 pm

LegendaryKeown wrote:Then we get the whole book in the last few chapters. We should have seen Neville's point of view instead of that boring camping garbage we got for nearly a quarter of the book

As Pud said, the initial chapters set the tone and helped the eventual battle if anything. It's just that the whole deal with 7 horcruxes were too much, but that's not the fault of the final book.

The entire HP books are told from Harry's point-of-view. You can't flip to Neville's point-of-view all of a sudden.

LegendaryKeown wrote:Other than that, some of the stuff that Rowling makes up just for the 7th book is ridiculous. The wand thing, for one, which was never mentioned before. How many times has Harry been disarmed? Surely he shouldn't have owned his own wand at some point too.

Harry wasn't disarmed after he disarmed Draco at Malfoy Manor. While I get what you mean, the nuances of the Elder Wand was constructed to help Harry eventually, you also have to consider that the books were told from Harry's POV, so we discover the magical world as Harry discovers it. Dumbledore was very secretive, so he suppressed any information about the Elder Wand. it's only after Voldemort actively starts pursuing it, we start knowing about the Hallows.

Dumbledore's original plan was for Snape to kill Dumbledore in privacy. That would have made Snape the master of the Elder Wand. Draco came and wrecked everything.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby LegendaryKeown » Sat May 19, 2018 6:32 pm

Angelito wrote:
LegendaryKeown wrote:Then we get the whole book in the last few chapters. We should have seen Neville's point of view instead of that boring camping garbage we got for nearly a quarter of the book

As Pud said, the initial chapters set the tone and helped the eventual battle if anything. It's just that the whole deal with 7 horcruxes were too much, but that's not the fault of the final book.

The entire HP books are told from Harry's point-of-view. You can't flip to Neville's point-of-view all of a sudden.

LegendaryKeown wrote:Other than that, some of the stuff that Rowling makes up just for the 7th book is ridiculous. The wand thing, for one, which was never mentioned before. How many times has Harry been disarmed? Surely he shouldn't have owned his own wand at some point too.

Harry wasn't disarmed after he disarmed Draco at Malfoy Manor. While I get what you mean, the nuances of the Elder Wand was constructed to help Harry eventually, you also have to consider that the books were told from Harry's POV, so we discover the magical world as Harry discovers it. Dumbledore was very secretive, so he suppressed any information about the Elder Wand. it's only after Voldemort actively starts pursuing it, we start knowing about the Hallows.

Dumbledore's original plan was for Snape to kill Dumbledore in privacy. That would have made Snape the master of the Elder Wand. Draco came and wrecked everything.

I think the wand thing is convoluted. Here's why

Assuming Harry was disarmed by someone in the DA, who was then disarmed by Draco. Which is not only possible, but very likely. Or you know, throughout any of the 7 years. Then Harry's wand shouldn't obey Harry and disarm Draco. Which would be weird.

The whole wand thing isn't even implied anywhere before the book.

Other than that, we have Snape throwing the sword in the pool. Snape of all people should know how utterly ridiculous Harry is and that he could kill himself going for the sword. In the end, he did manage to almost do exactly that, luckily Ron arrived on time, or else Harry was a goner.

Then Hermione turns into Wonder Woman who cooks when Harry is the only one of the trio who actually knows how to cook, considering he was cooking at 11 for the Dursleys. And Hermione knows everything in this book. I mean, sure, she's a know it all, but in this book, she shows knoweledge of

1) Magical Law and Inheritance down to minute details
2) Quidditch, because she knows about the Snitch's touch thing
3) Healing spells, all manner of protection spells, etc, etc.
4) Spells to cook
5) Detection spells when they enter Black Manor
6) General knowledge on Wizarding neighbourhoods, etc
7) A vast geographical knowledge considering the enormous range of places they visit in their camping trip.

Granted, Hermione is smart, but this book turns her into Dumbledore++ at times.

I also found the whole Deathly Hallows thing very, very annoying. Suddenly brought in for the express purpose of helping Harry.

Many reasons I really didn't like the book, and one of them is actually what you and Pudpop point out. She followed the school year format when it's not a school year, they dropped out. She had too much to cover for one book already, and then nothing happens for half the book, so we get a long, drawn out battle where they also manage to destroy a few Horcruxes.
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Angelito » Sat May 19, 2018 8:06 pm

A few horcruxes? I'm one of those who believes Rowling should have gone with three horcruxes over seven. Seven was an overload. It negated from the weight of those horcruxes and what Voldy had done.

The Elder Wand thing is convulted, but I just explained it to you - within the laws set by the author. Voldemort made the mistake of thinking that you had to kill the previous owner of the Elder Wand to gain ownership, which is why he killed Snape. Harry disarming Draco at Malfoy Manor didn't make a whole lot of sense in Harry becoming the master, but that's what Rowling intended and that's the deus ex machina I'm talking about.

Deathly Hallows and Harry Potter series are riddled with it. It's something, we fans, have accepted and embraced.

Other than that, we have Snape throwing the sword in the pool. Snape of all people should know how utterly ridiculous Harry is and that he could kill himself going for the sword. In the end, he did manage to almost do exactly that, luckily Ron arrived on time, or else Harry was a goner.

Snape was there to witness the entire thing. He knew Harry was a buffoon, hence, he stayed. It was only once Ron saved Harry, and they destroyed the horcrux, that he left.

Snape had been protecting Harry 24/7 during all his time. He wouldn't have abandoned Harry at such a crucial time.

Then Hermione turns into Wonder Woman who cooks when Harry is the only one of the trio who actually knows how to cook, considering he was cooking at 11 for the Dursleys. And Hermione knows everything in this book. I mean, sure, she's a know it all, but in this book, she shows knoweledge of

1) Magical Law and Inheritance down to minute details
2) Quidditch, because she knows about the Snitch's touch thing
3) Healing spells, all manner of protection spells, etc, etc.
4) Spells to cook
5) Detection spells when they enter Black Manor
6) General knowledge on Wizarding neighbourhoods, etc
7) A vast geographical knowledge considering the enormous range of places they visit in their camping trip.

Granted, Hermione is smart, but this book turns her into Dumbledore++ at times.

Cooking? :lol: Jeez.

Hermione is a book worm, no? The earlier books have always emphasized on her memory, ingenuity, and intelligence. Dumbledore knew that Harry couldn't have completed the journey without Hermione, which is why he insisted she remained part of it.

Yes, Hermione is shown to be highly intelligent, but even within the series, she's nowhere as intelligent as others when they were of her age (Voldie, Dumbledore, Snape, Lily). ;)

And you may be mistaking the movies from the books. The movies show her near perfect. In the books, she has her flaws. One of her flaws is that she's overtly logical and tends to be unemotional.

I also found the whole Deathly Hallows thing very, very annoying. Suddenly brought in for the express purpose of helping Harry.

Deus ex machina.

Harry had the divine plot armor, yes, that can't be denied.

Nonetheless, the book is told from Harry's point-of-view, so we get to know facts as Harry does, which is why the Deathly Hallows isn't as outrageous as it is. But I do agree. It should have been hinted at earlier.

Many reasons I really didn't like the book, and one of them is actually what you and Pudpop point out. She followed the school year format when it's not a school year, they dropped out. She had too much to cover for one book already, and then nothing happens for half the book, so we get a long, drawn out battle where they also manage to destroy a few Horcruxes.

Dude! I'd have been for another book.

Always.

The problem is that seven horcruxes and the hallows were cramped in the final book. The Deathly Hallows movies do a good job here - by segregating the final book based on the theme and tone.

The problem was, as I said earlier, seven horcruxes were too much. It had become a joke by the end. Plus, deus ex machina reloaded did take away a lot from Harry's journey. Yet, Harry Potter series isn't simply about logic. It's about emotions, characters, and the world. The reason, we Potterheads, love it - is because of the amazing characters and the world.

Most of us grew up with it. I know I did and I will always love it.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Films