29%
Half-Blood Prince
14%
Deathly Hallows
14%

Total votes : 7

JK Rowling and Her Fantastic Myth

Postby Angelito » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:35 pm

A page dedicated to the world JK Rowiling stumbled upon at Kings Cross.

I don't know how many of you watched the Fantastic Beasts movie. I haven't, but I can't wait to watch it. I grew up reading Potter books and watching those movies, so they hold an emotional value for me. Nonetheless, with Fantastic Beasts, I thought it'd be a prequel to the HP series. That's not to be in many ways, or maybe it is.. The movie will now build up to that duel between Dumbledore and Grindelwald in 1945 - coinciding with Tom Riddle's graduation year of 1945.

Most of us know, by now, who's playing Grildelwald; if not, check the spoilers:

Show the spoiler
http://media.biobiochile.cl/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/johnny-depp-como-grindelwald-animales-fantasticos-1.jpg

We don't know yet who'll play Dumbledore in the coming movies. Daniel Day Lewis is a name thrown around. :pray: But, I'm sure he'll reject it.

Never mind, so, who are/were the Harry Potter fans growing up? What's your favorite book/movie? Who was your favorite character?

Let's discuss.

Btw, I'm pretty sure after these five movies are over; Hollywood folks will film a trilogy dedicated to Voldemort. I'm not complaining. :P
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: JK Rowling and Her Fantastic Myth

Postby Cripps » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:05 pm

Wasn't a fan growing up. Didn't watch any of the films or read any of the books until after they had all come out.

Loved the books. Films were piss poor in comparison.

Best book - order of the Phoenix. The battle at the end between the order and death eaters I loved which the film totally f***ked up and didn't do justice with. Likewise with the fight at the end of Half Blodd Prince and Deathly Hallows

Best Film - Goblet Of Fire. The films before it were dull and based for kids. Then Cedric dies. Becomes darker from then on and more adult orientated. I notice a good guy dies at the end of every film after that.

Best character - Professor Lupin. Should've been in it a lot more.

Watched Fantastic Beasts. Decent enough film but I'll probably get more excited once dumbledore appears
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:15 pm

I wish Roald ( :hail: ) Dahl were still around, to put this chancer in her place.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Pudpop » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:19 pm

Was a fan but not as big as others. Read the books twice and have probably watched the movies about 3 times. Deathly Hallows part 1 always stood out to me as the movie which actually improved on the source material, the dance scene of Harry and Hermione being my favourite scene throughout the series. Books wise I chose Order of the Phoenix in the poll but I wouldn't be able to narrow it down in all honestly. For me the magic of the books was always in Hogwarts and I just chose OOTP because it was the book which simultaneously dealt with the overall plot-line and Harry's schooling. Goblet of Fire is just as good though.

I haven't watched the new film yet as without Hogwarts I was never excited for it. I'll probably give it a watch once it's available to Pirate or comes on TV here in SA.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby StLGooner » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:01 pm

I'm a big fan. Only read the first two books. I loved the last 3 movies as they started to get a bit darker. I did see Fantastic Beast and thought it was pretty good. Can't wait for the next installments!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Cripps » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:08 pm

Watched all 7 films over the xmas period on ITV

Will re read the books soon as well
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:09 pm

Thanks for the response, guys.

Who are your favorite characters from the series?

Pudpop wrote:Was a fan but not as big as others. Read the books twice and have probably watched the movies about 3 times. Deathly Hallows part 1 always stood out to me as the movie which actually improved on the source material, the dance scene of Harry and Hermione being my favourite scene throughout the series. Books wise I chose Order of the Phoenix in the poll but I wouldn't be able to narrow it down in all honestly. For me the magic of the books was always in Hogwarts and I just chose OOTP because it was the book which simultaneously dealt with the overall plot-line and Harry's schooling. Goblet of Fire is just as good though.

I haven't watched the new film yet as without Hogwarts I was never excited for it. I'll probably give it a watch once it's available to Pirate or comes on TV here in SA.

What about Hogwarts, specifically?

You know, I found Chamber of Secrets fascinating because of the whole mystery behind the CoS. The Parseltongue intrigue and how Tom Riddle had pretty much searched for every corner of Hogwarts before discovering the CoS only makes me wish, if they'd make a movie about the Rise and Fall of TMR.

Hogwarts had lots of amazing sub stories - the Room of Requirements, Grey Lady, Dark Forest, etc.

We will see Hogwarts in coming sequels of Fantastic Beasts - probs from Part III when Dumbledore's character gains prominence.

StLGooner wrote:I'm a big fan. Only read the first two books. I loved the last 3 movies as they started to get a bit darker. I did see Fantastic Beast and thought it was pretty good. Can't wait for the next installments!

Same here. That duel between Dumby and Grindy has been hyped to hell. It won't match our imagination, but as a fan - I'd love to see it on the big screen.

Cripps wrote:Watched all 7 films over the xmas period on ITV

Will re read the books soon as well

Did you read/watch the Cursed Child?

I was disappointed. The characters all seemed to have grown lamer and acted like politicians.. I know it's more fan-fic, but Rowling was the guide, so I wonder why she gave the thumbs up.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Cripps » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:27 pm

Haven't seen or read it yet. Did look up tickets for it but sold out for months.

Did see the book at WHSmith though. Is it meant to be in a play format? Isn't there a normal book like the others?
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:24 pm

Cripps wrote:Haven't seen or read it yet. Did look up tickets for it but sold out for months.

Did see the book at WHSmith though. Is it meant to be in a play format? Isn't there a normal book like the others?

Play format - a drama in 3 acts.

I didn't watch it. I read it. For a Potter fan, one should read - not because it's great. It's underwhelming and is scribbles compared to the main series, but it is part of Harry Potter folklore.

If you want to be spoiled, click below (Cursed Child spoilers):

Show the spoiler
Voldemort has a daughter!
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Angelito » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:03 pm

Talking about HP in the other book thread, well, I guess some haven't read the books and many, I presume, have watched the movie, so your favorite Harry Potter movies in order?

Mine would be:

1. Chamber of Secrets
2. Philosopher's Stone
3. Prisoner of Azkaban
4. Goblet of Fire
5. Deathly Hallows II
6. Half-Blood Prince
7. Deathly Hallows I
8. Order of the Phoenix

As far as books would go:

1. Half-Blood Prince
2. Deathly Hallows
3. Chamber of Secrets
4. Philosopher's Stone (It started it all ;) )
5. Prisoner of Azkaban
6. Goblet of Fire
7. Order of the Phoenix
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Dannie » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:40 pm

8. Chamber-5/10
7. Goblet-8/10
6. Hallows pt2-9/10
5. Hallows pt1-8/10
4. Order-6/10
3. Half Blood-8/10
2. Philosophers-6.5/10
1. Prisoner-9/10
Dannie
Liam Brady

Postby Angelito » Wed May 16, 2018 6:51 pm

Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Pudpop » Thu May 17, 2018 9:52 am

I reread the books in September last year and actually enjoyed it even more than before. Even made the mistake of delving into the world of fanfiction

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Angelito » Thu May 17, 2018 3:27 pm

Pudpop wrote:I reread the books in September last year and actually enjoyed it even more than before. Even made the mistake of delving into the world of fanfiction

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You wrote fan fiction? Did you publish it online?

And I agree. It gets better with every read. Strange because there are so many plot holes. It's the emotion, characters, and magic I guess.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Fri May 18, 2018 1:23 am

You read all the HP books in a single month, wtf?

How many hours a day were you reading?
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Next

Return to Films