Oscar Nominations ~ 2016

Re: Oscar Nominations ~ 2016

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:56 pm

Callum wrote:
Mesüt wrote:
Callum wrote:
Mesüt wrote:yesssss rylance!! so glad he won.

Surprised he won but am glad he did.

Yeah, after looking at the odds last night I am quite surprised by a few of them. Could've made some serious money on Sam Smith too.

Rylance beating Sly was a relative shock, as was Spotlight beating The Revenant to Best Picture.

Nah, I knew The Revenant was only going to win Best Director or Picture - not both. They weren't going to let Inarritu sweep both categories two years in a row.

Also thought Rylance was the clear favourite. Don't know anything about odds, just what I gathered from general talk leading up to the award.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Santi » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:18 pm

Stallone was bookies favourite, think he won a bunch of awards in the build up to last night.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:14 pm

Callum wrote:Except the Academy has a history of being institutionally racist and has snubbed numerous black actors and directors over the years. This isn't a one-off year, it's par for the course. There's a fair few this year who deserved a nomination this year for sure - Michael B. Jordan in Creed and Idris Elba in Beasts of No Nation being two of the most glaring examples - and last year it was an absolute farce that Bradley Cooper got the nod for American Sniper ahead of David Oyelewo for Selma, who probably should have won the damn thing.

That said, I do think the issue is more with Hollywood as a whole rather than the Oscars. There's definitely a massive lack of opportunities for minorities.

Michael B Jordan didn't deserve a nomination imo. Creed is a decent boxing movie but they're all the same - Jake Gyllenhaal gave a better performance in Southpaw.

I don't think that's racism, historically it's very rare for the Academy to nominate actors who have portrayed athletes in film (don't know for sure but I think De Niro in Raging Bull is the only time an actor has won the Best Actor award for a sports based movie).

Johnny Depp (Black Mass) and Tom Hanks (Bridge Of Spies) were both better in those than Jordan was in Creed and neither were nominated.

Haven't seen Beats Of No Nation so can't comment.

Agree RE American Sniper, but those cheesy, patriotic movies always get overhyped - America just eats that shit up.

I'm not denying that there is institutional racism embedded in Hollywood - clearly there is as built in racism exists in many facets of the world let alone something as elite as Hollywood - I'm just cynical because all this outrage and brouhaha only started after Will and Jada Smith spoke out over what they perceived to be a snub for his role in Concussion.

I just don't think it's genuine, why weren't they complaining all these years before seeing as lack of minority representation has been a problem forever?

They weren't concerned then but as soon as Will is ignored they are butthurt, make a statement and because they have clout it becomes a big thing and all of a sudden people jump on the bandwagon and the whole issue becomes inescapable and shoved down our throats etc.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Callum » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:53 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Michael B Jordan didn't deserve a nomination imo. Creed is a decent boxing movie but they're all the same - Jake Gyllenhaal gave a better performance in Southpaw.

I don't think that's racism, historically it's very rare for the Academy to nominate actors who have portrayed athletes in film (don't know for sure but I think De Niro in Raging Bull is the only time an actor has won the Best Actor award for a sports based movie).

Johnny Depp (Black Mass) and Tom Hanks (Bridge Of Spies) were both better in those than Jordan was in Creed and neither were nominated.

Haven't seen Beats Of No Nation so can't comment.

Agree RE American Sniper, but those cheesy, patriotic movies always get overhyped - America just eats that shit up.

I'm not denying that there is institutional racism embedded in Hollywood - clearly there is as built in racism exists in many facets of the world let alone something as elite as Hollywood - I'm just cynical because all this outrage and brouhaha only started after Will and Jada Smith spoke out over what they perceived to be a snub for his role in Concussion.

I just don't think it's genuine, why weren't they complaining all these years before seeing as lack of minority representation has been a problem forever?

They weren't concerned then but as soon as Will is ignored they are butthurt, make a statement and because they have clout it becomes a big thing and all of a sudden people jump on the bandwagon and the whole issue becomes inescapable and shoved down our throats etc.

Nah, Jordan was phenomenal in Creed. I thought he showed great range and at no point fell into Stallone's shadow who was playing one of the most iconic movie characters ever alongside him. It also helps that Creed was a great movie, whereas Southpaw was distinctly average - maybe that shouldn't matter but it often does.

Also, I love Tom Hanks - he's probably my favourite actor, actually - but he was just playing an incredibly Tom Hanksy-character in Bridge of Spies. He was as solid as ever but was his performance anything truly outstanding or memorable? I'd argue not.

I definitely think there's some bandwagoning going on with all of the outrage and the Academy takes an unfair share of the blame but there is an issue and it needs to be talked about.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby TOP » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:22 am

Black people run fast, white people act better. Genetics not racism.
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Apollo » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:30 am

TOP wrote:Black people run fast, white people act better. Genetics not racism.

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby TOP » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:40 am

Apollo wrote:
TOP wrote:Black people run fast, white people act better. Genetics not racism.

:sneaky:
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Est83 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:16 am

:lol:

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Previous

Return to Films