Oscar Nominations ~ 2016

Re: Oscar Nominations ~ 2016

Postby Royal Gooner » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:04 pm

Cripps wrote:So what's all this crap about no black actors being nominated?

Should they be nominated just cos they are black? Surely that's even more offensive?

If you're good enough, you get nominated.

Agreed. No sense in doing patronising tokenism; if you're not good enough, you don't get nominated. simple.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby ThisIsNotAnID » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:16 pm

Cripps wrote:So what's all this crap about no black actors being nominated?

Should they be nominated just cos they are black?

No one is saying that.

Cripps wrote:If you're good enough, you get nominated.

Yes and there some very deserving performances from non-white actors. But we all know the Oscars aren't based entirely on merit so...
ThisIsNotAnID

Postby Cripps » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:19 pm

I don't know the criteria for what makes an Oscar nomination and what doesn't.

Other than most films that win best picture are stuffy boring long ass documentary type bullshit films. Last years winner was one of the worst films of all time.

Apparently they got some drag queen film in the running this year. Jesus wept. Oscars are as pointless as Fifa awards
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:32 am

Oscars do have credibility, but that's not always the case. Kubrick never won Best Director; Hitchcock didn't either. Peter O'Toole never won Best Actor. Those are shady decisions.

Kubrick had it tough though, when Clockwork Orange came out, it was pitting against The French Connection. You can't say that it was an unfair decision. Space Odyssey lost to Oliver, and that was a travesty. Strangelove should have won it, but can't complain about Barry Lyndon. It was against One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, so yeah.

If you want to look at an actor who won back-to-back Best Actor awards, you'd have to go back to the 30s with Spencer Tracy and most recently, Tom Hanks in 1993 and 1994. For actresses, Katherine Hepburn won it back-to-back in the 60s.

Only two directors have ever won Oscars for two years running: Joseph L. Mankiewicz and John Ford. If Inarritu wins it this year, he'll be joining an elite company. What works in favor of Revenant is the length of the movie. Generally, Oscar award for Best Picture goes to long movies. Revenant is the longest of all movies nominated. However, as Callum said, it doesn't have the complexity that Oscars demand.

Room is under 2 hours and Spotlight is just over 2 hours. Martian runs at 144 mins, while Mad Max runs for exact 2 hours. Brooklyn is too short at 110 mins to stand a chance. Yet, Bridge of Spies is pretty lengthy at 142 mins. The Big Short too runs at 130 mins. So, you could see the trend. Revenant, Martian, Bridge of Spies, and the Big Short have a running time of over 140 mins.

Of course, length is not the only criteria. Epic scale of the movie, complex characters, performances, social/economical/spiritual consequences, and storyline all contribute in deciding who gets it. I wouldn't be surprised if a completely unexpected movie like Martian or, worse, Bridge of Spies wins it. BOS has two personalities that Oscars seem to love (Tom Hanks and Spielberg). But Spotlight, at 128 mins, seems to fulfil the criteria of Oscars for Best Picture, so it has the best chance to win it.

As for Best Director, they have to give it to Inarritu - for the way he handled such an epic as Revenant and still managed to come out with flying colors. You also have to consider that Ridley Scot is a veteran and the oldest nominee in that list. He may get an "honorary award" similar to what Scorsese got with The Departed. It's a real possibility.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:50 am

^^

I'm not sure if you're aware Angelito but studios employ people who are basically lobbyists, who lobby judges to get their film the nod. And the arguments they're putting forward are generally ones concerned with Hollywood politics, not only the merits of the film.

Now I'm not saying there's corruption going on, but you have to ask yourself why do they do that? Why is it even allowed?

Knowing that, I'm not convinced that these Oscars are awarded only on merit.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby ThisIsNotAnID » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:59 am

I don't know to what extent the length of a movie factors in its chances for it to win, even if it does at all. Some of the other factors you mentioned however are much more important like the social context of the movie or the storyline. Some of the recent winners have all paid tribute to Hollywood in one way or another such as Birdman, Argo, The Artist and there are also those which focus on more topical issues (the category where I think Spotlight belongs) such as 12 Years A Slave, The Hurt Locker etc. You also have the crowd-pleasers and movies that are simply the best or most-acclaimed among the nominees. I just don't see The Revenant fitting in any of these categories unlike Spotlight.

I might have also agreed with you about Inarritu winning Best Director in any other year since his movie is so technically proficient and the Oscars have the habit of awarding such movies but let's not forget that he's also going up against Miller, whose movie is equally accomplished. Besides, Miller has the narrative in his favor of being this 70-year-old man to deliver such a kick-ass movie unlike Inarritu who just won last year.
ThisIsNotAnID

Postby UFGN » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:39 am

I'd love to see Mark Rylance get best supporting actor for his performance in Bridge of Spies

He acted Tom Hanks off the screan in that movie
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Callum » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:15 pm

UFGN wrote:I'd love to see Mark Rylance get best supporting actor for his performance in Bridge of Spies

Hanks was great too and I think their contrasting acting styles brought out the best in both of their performances.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:18 pm

hanks and bridge of spies to steal all the awards plz
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:21 pm

Mesüt wrote:hanks and bridge of spies to steal all the awards plz

Hanks wasn't even nominated I'm afraid.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:46 pm

Callum wrote:

Rightly so. If Depp wasn't nominated for his performance in Black Mass there is no way Hanks deserved to be.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Santi » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:54 pm

Callum wrote:

Shocking nominations :naughty:

Rylance and B.O.S then ;)

Also want to absolute LOL @ dicaprio so hope he doesn't win it again.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:00 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Callum wrote:

Rightly so. If Depp wasn't nominated for his performance in Black Mass there is no way Hanks deserved to be.

Yeah, it was nothing more than classic Hanks - which is still brilliant, to be fair - but nothing Oscar-worthy anyway. He's the safest pair of hands in Hollywood but the role was relatively limited. Rylance deserved his nomination though.

I liked Johnny Depp in Black Mass but I do feel his performance has been overhyped, mainly because physically he looked very different and after being in so many shit films people were just glad to see him do a good job again.

Joel Edgerton put in a better performance than Depp in my opinion.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby ThisIsNotAnID » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:17 pm

I don't know how many people saw the tv show Wolf Hall (my favorite of last year) but Rylance was even better in it.
ThisIsNotAnID

Postby UFGN » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:34 pm

Callum wrote:
UFGN wrote:I'd love to see Mark Rylance get best supporting actor for his performance in Bridge of Spies

Hanks was great too and I think their contrasting acting styles brought out the best in both of their performances.

Piss off Callum

UFGN

PreviousNext

Return to Films