Upcoming Films

Re: Upcoming film thread

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:54 pm

Angelito wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:Might have to jump on the bandwagon and watch The Force Awakens and then Rogue One.

I feel like the originals will be too dated.

How much of the classics do you watch in general?

Quite a few, but because Star Wars relies on special effects and action scenes I feel like it will suffer more than most older films.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Fenice » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:54 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:Might have to jump on the bandwagon and watch The Force Awakens and then Rogue One.

I feel like the originals will be too dated.

How much of the classics do you watch in general?

Quite a few, but because Star Wars relies on special effects and action scenes I feel like it will suffer more than most older films.

Some of it is practical though, which is why they still look good. I'm a big proponent of practical effects.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:25 am

Scorcese is making a mob movie called The Irishman starring De Niro, Pacino and Joe Pesci...already the best film of 2018.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Zenith » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:21 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Scorcese is making a mob movie called The Irishman starring De Niro, Pacino and Joe Pesci...already the best film of 2018.

I hope the Di Niro/Pachino-combo will finally flourish in a good story.

In Heat - which had a rather mediocre plot - the peformances and natural chemsitry between the two was top notch; the famous diner scene wasn't even rehearsed.

Righteous Kill was simply a $60m mockery and doesn't merit further elaboration.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:32 am

If anyone can make them click, it's Scorsese.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Angelito » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:31 pm

Meh. It'll be great because that's the only thing Scorsese knows in movies. Argue.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:16 pm

Angelito wrote:Meh. It'll be great because that's the only thing Scorsese knows in movies. Argue.

:naughty:

Taxi Driver
Raging Bull
The King of Comedy
The Aviator
Shutter Island
Hugo
The Wolf of Wall Street

All are great to very good movies.

Apart from Kubrick, I don't think any other director in history can boast the filmography of Scorcese, he's consistently made excellent movies across all genres for nearly 50 years.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Callum » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:14 am

ESB >>> ANH > TFA > ROTJ > R1 >>> ROTS > TPM > AOTC
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:42 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Angelito wrote:Meh. It'll be great because that's the only thing Scorsese knows in movies. Argue.

:naughty:

Taxi Driver
Raging Bull
The King of Comedy
The Aviator
Shutter Island
Hugo
The Wolf of Wall Street

All are great to very good movies.

Apart from Kubrick, I don't think any other director in history can boast the filmography of Scorcese, he's consistently made excellent movies across all genres for nearly 50 years.

Bergman, Wilder, Hitchcock, Kurosawa, Bunuel, Fellini, Lang, Ray, and Coens to name some. As a filmmaker, I believe Lynch and Mallick are both superior to Scorsese, but that's just my opinion.

Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, and Hugo are classics for me. Shutter Island a notch below (even though Marty isn't a fan of it personally). My fav Scorsese movie is actually Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore. :shocked:

That said, of course, he's a legendary filmmaker. But he's lost his touch.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:03 pm

Angelito wrote:That said, of course, he's a legendary filmmaker. But he's lost his touch.

The last six movies he's made -

The Aviator (2004)

The Departed (2006)

Shutter Island (2010)

Hugo (2011)

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)

Silence (2016 - which I haven't seen)

I think it's very harsh to claim he's lost his touch based on the above films.

If anything, he's displayed growth as a director by branching out into other genres and still making great movies - which is commendable.

Shutter Island - psychological thriller, not your typical Scorsese movie.

Hugo - Brilliant fantasy adventure. He'd never done anything like that in his career as far as I know and created a masterpiece on his first attempt.

The Wolf of Wall Street - A modern raucous comedy.

Silence - doesn't interest me but it's another example of him leaving his comfort zone.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Angelito » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:50 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Angelito wrote:That said, of course, he's a legendary filmmaker. But he's lost his touch.

The last six movies he's made -

The Aviator (2004)

The Departed (2006)

Shutter Island (2010)

Hugo (2011)

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)

Silence (2016 - which I haven't seen)

I think it's very harsh to claim he's lost his touch based on the above films.

If anything, he's displayed growth as a director by branching out into other genres and still making great movies - which is commendable.

Shutter Island - psychological thriller, not your typical Scorsese movie.

Hugo - Brilliant fantasy adventure. He'd never done anything like that in his career as far as I know and created a masterpiece on his first attempt.

The Wolf of Wall Street - A modern raucous comedy.

Silence - doesn't interest me but it's another example of him leaving his comfort zone.

Shutter Island is one of Scorsese's worst experiences and he's not fond of that movie at all. I personally loved that movie - even though it was one-dimensional. I can understand why he didn't like it.

Look, Scorsese is a legendary filmmaker. But I don't feel his modern movies match up to his old ones (like the Coens where they keep getting better). That doesn't mean I underrate him, or I'm not a fan. Hugo and SI are amongst my favorite movies.

I'm not as fond of Wall Street as much as others. The Departed basically crumbles because the original was a masterpiece in itself. When you think of Scorsese, he's in a league that few are part of. Lately, when I watch Scorsese movies, I just feel they're great - but made greater (perception) because of the presence of a master.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:38 pm

Fair enough. But it would be difficult for any director to match their previous efforts when you've made films like Taxi Driver, Goodfellas, Mean Streets, Raging Bull etc.

Even Kubrick's later films don't stand up against his greatest works.

Not everyone can be the Coens, who in my opinion are the best American directors of the past 35 or so years.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Angelito » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:45 pm

I don't think any filmmaker in today's era would be allowed the creative freedom from studios that Kubrick was. That guy was not only the most complete filmmaker - as in he did everything himself, except act - but his movies are fundamental studies of humanity. And, that can be burdensome at times. No Kubrick movie can be passed off as an entertainer. It's almost always substantial. Part of the reason why I consider The Killing (1956) one of the very best movies of Kubrick is because it's unlike what Kubrick would do later in his careers. It's a crime movie alright. It's a classic, but it's simple and doesn't feel as stuffed as Kubrick's latter movies. I'd place The Killing behind 2001, The Shining, and Dr Strangelove - my picks as Kubrick's best movies.

On Scorsese, an interesting notion about him is that he was at the right place at the right time. That's not a knock of course. Movies like Bonnie and Clyde, Easy Riders, The Graduate, and eventually The Godfather - paved the way for a roaring 70s in cinema for Hollywood. It was the decade of auteurs. And, no wonder - many legendary filmmakers made a mark during the 70s - Coppola, Scorsese, Polanski, de Balma, Carpenter, Spielberg, Lucas, a young Lynch, etc. This was the period when filmmakers in Hollywood - for the first time history - had complete authority over their movies. Mostly due to The Godfather, the 70s is the director's era in Hollywood. That's why we have so many of our favorite movies come out in the 70s.

I agree with you on Coens though. I can't understand how they do it even after 30 years. For me, the greatest American filmmaker of the last 30 years would probably be a toss between them, Lynch, Mallick, and Scorsese of course. I'm a huge fan of Brian de Palma too.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:57 pm

Great book; much watch.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Zenith » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:08 pm

Going by the trailer it almost seems like a less scary copy of the original with some extra elements here and there - not exactly refreshing.

Certain CGI's tend to have a detrimental effect on the genre; straight forwardness was always horror’s most effective tool and I'd be surprised if the movie turned out to be a step up from the original.

The book is definitely a horror classic and arguably Stephen King's best horror novel.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

PreviousNext

Return to Films