Postby liam_cork » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:12 pm

great book but i'v not seen the film
arsene knows
liam_cork
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Re: The Damned united.

Postby Inchpräctice » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:18 pm

Saw this film a couple of days ago. Bit overrated imo.
Glossed over his time at Forest in about nine seconds even though that's what he's most famous for.
It also never tried to explain WHY he was such a good manager and how he managed to win so much in his career.
It was more about how his arrogance caused him problems, which is fine if you like that sort of thing but someone who knew nothing about him would leave the cinema none the wiser.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby djaxster » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:30 pm

Inchpractice wrote:Saw this film a couple of days ago. Bit overrated imo.
Glossed over his time at Forest in about nine seconds even though that's what he's most famous for.
It also never tried to explain WHY he was such a good manager and how he managed to win so much in his career.
It was more about how his arrogance caused him problems, which is fine if you like that sort of thing but someone who knew nothing about him would leave the cinema none the wiser.

It's supposed to be about his time at Leeds not what he done at Forest..
If you had watched the film on BBC2 there was a great documentary after that was all about clough. His Carrer as a player, his time at Derby, Leeds and more on Forest.

He was right to be arrogant cos there was no-one else like him apart from one Guy.

Mohammed Ali and now Jose Mourinho
djaxster
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby liam_cork » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:32 pm

as pointed out it was a novel about his time at leeds maybe a chapter or so about before and very little about after his time at leeds this isn't a bio
arsene knows
liam_cork
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Inchpräctice » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:52 pm

djaxster wrote:

It's supposed to be about his time at Leeds not what he done at Forest..
If you had watched the film on BBC2 there was a great documentary after that was all about clough. His Carrer as a player, his time at Derby, Leeds and more on Forest.

He was right to be arrogant cos there was no-one else like him apart from one Guy.

I didn't say he didn't have the right to be arrogant, just said that the film was about arrogance and not football.

By the sounds of it I should've watched the documentary.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Libertine » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:54 am

Not seen the film but the book is about Clough's 44 days at Leeds, not his career in football.
It centres around his rivalry with (and hatred for) Don Revie and his need for Peter Taylor to reign him in and keep him on the straight and narrow from time to time.
It's also explores the fragility of Clough's mental state and his alcoholism.
Last edited by Libertine on Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Inchpräctice » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:16 pm

Libertine wrote:

Not seen the film, but the book centres around his rivalry with (and hatred for) Don Revie and his need for Peter Taylor to reign him in and keep him on the straight and narrow from time to time.
It's also explores the fragility of Clough's mental state and his alcoholism.

The film is exactly the same as the book then, although I can't remember them mentioning alcohol very often.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Gunner Down Under » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:47 pm

I wouldn't think it is, if I remember the film doesn't delve as much into Clough's life as the book does
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby DesertDwellingGooner » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:09 am

Just watched it. I like in the extras of the dvd where they do a section of football in the seventies.
DesertDwellingGooner
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Gunner Down Under » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:15 am

I was meant to watch it during my camp but the i-phone it was on, well the guy that was meant to bring it got it confiscated. :BangHead:
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby natalie » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:27 pm

Saw it on telly and thought it is a very good film miles better then the book
natalie
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Previous

Return to Films