General Movie Discussion Thread

Re: General Movie Discussion Thread

Postby VCC » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:38 pm

Est83 wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Est83 wrote:Everything, Everywhere, All at Once

That's what it's called right?

Chaotic, hilarious, a little over the top. It's a mental sci-fi with some loopy metaphors which are a bit hit and miss, but overall great. Had my girlfriend in tears as it's essentially about Asian parent/child dynamics and the generational difference in how love is expressed.

My girlfriend is a ridiculously high achieving lawyer that was 2 years ahead in school and a nationally ranked swimmer in Hong Kong (not known for their swimming of course, but she's 5'2" and was beating 6'3" Ausie guys with ease)...... still not good enough for her parents though :lol:

..... because she's thinking of marrying beneath her?

:hiding:

:biggrin:

Facts! Haha

My best m8 grew up together is a professional golfer in HK ( coaching) his daughter in in the one of the martial arts squads, have to be extremely gifted to be noticed in HK it seems
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby #ST » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:20 am

Went to see Top Gun with my little brother in IMAX.

I enjoyed it! YES, it is somewhat predictable, but what movie isnt these days.. It was a nice action packed popcorn movie. My little bro gets distracted VERY easily and he's known for even walking out on Spiderman ( I know, I am ashamed, didnt happen with me ) so I was very pleased to see he saw it through till the end.
Wembley:
Community Shield @6-8-'23 = 1*-1 Manchester City

Emirates Stadium:
First game @10-9-'11 = 1 - 0 Swansea
Most memorable game @24-2-'22 = 2 - 1 Wolves
Last game @09-03-'24 = 2 - 1 Brentford
Next game @03-04-'24 = VS Luton [ Block 121 - Seat 847 ]
#ST
Predictions League 2019-20, 2021-22 Winner
Predictions League 2019-20, 2021-22 Winner

Postby Ach » Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:34 pm

Finally 2 weeks after its release which is unheard of, Thor 4 will be watched tonight.

Work and COVID issues are dealt with.

Really looking forward to this
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:06 am

Not as good as ragnorak but pretty decent.

Phase 5 and 6 announcement made by MCU. Can't wait

Watched the black panther 2 trailer. Very emotional.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby themessiah » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:09 pm

Ach wrote:Not as good as ragnorak but pretty decent.

bringing back old Marvel eras for a Secret Wars adaptation would make perfect sense tbf, just like bringing back the last two Spideys made sense for No Way Home and Xavier for MoM
The whole point of Secret Wars is the multiverse is collapsing and universes are colliding in Incursions. When else would you get the chance to see the Avengers team up with Fox X-Men, Fox Fantastic Four working with the MCU variants to stop the incursions I hope mutants aren’t actually IN the main MCU earth but rather get brought in because of Secret Wars. That way they’re still “connected” to the MCU via Multiverse but can operate in their own storylines similar to the fox movies (this time more coherent) and we get adult films. could even bring back Chris as Captain America, RDJ as Iron Man, etc. from universes where they’re still alive so we can see Cap meet Hugh‘s Wolverine, Tony with Reed Richards, etc.

it just makes sense and I‘d trust Marvel to make a coherent story out of it. If Marvel could successfully bring all the MCU heroes of the time together for Infinity War & Endgame in a great story, I trust them for this. Secret Wars could be a 3 part event where they’re the only MCU films that year. Pt.1 start of year, Pt.2 halfway and Pt.3 at Christmas
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:40 pm

themessiah wrote:

bringing back old Marvel eras for a Secret Wars adaptation would make perfect sense tbf, just like bringing back the last two Spideys made sense for No Way Home and Xavier for MoM
The whole point of Secret Wars is the multiverse is collapsing and universes are colliding in Incursions. When else would you get the chance to see the Avengers team up with Fox X-Men, Fox Fantastic Four working with the MCU variants to stop the incursions I hope mutants aren’t actually IN the main MCU earth but rather get brought in because of Secret Wars. That way they’re still “connected” to the MCU via Multiverse but can operate in their own storylines similar to the fox movies (this time more coherent) and we get adult films. could even bring back Chris as Captain America, RDJ as Iron Man, etc. from universes where they’re still alive so we can see Cap meet Hugh‘s Wolverine, Tony with Reed Richards, etc.

it just makes sense and I‘d trust Marvel to make a coherent story out of it. If Marvel could successfully bring all the MCU heroes of the time together for Infinity War & Endgame in a great story, I trust them for this. Secret Wars could be a 3 part event where they’re the only MCU films that year. Pt.1 start of year, Pt.2 halfway and Pt.3 at Christmas

I'm doing this off the cuff without looking it up but isn't there two Secret Wars?

The old one was the Beyonder story right? the original one, then the 2nd version was the invasion of all the Beyonders and basically took out everything with that Battle world etc.

Going to be a bit of a handful story if their telling Kangs time travel conquering plus anything to do with the Beyonders as one has nothing to do with the other.

.............on a side note, loved the BP trailer, not sure how I feel about them killing off Tchalla's character so quick (even with the Chad circumstances) as characters are > actors, actors come and go, franchise characters (007 for example) should just carry on.

But the trailer did look great and I loved Namor when I was younger and used to read the comics so even though its touchy to change the iteration of the character, I actually approve of the Aztec style Atlantis they're going for as it helps give them more unique character as a race and seperates them a bit more from Aquaman's version, I thought the Aztec / Mayan theme looked great.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby themessiah » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:24 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
themessiah wrote:

I'm doing this off the cuff without looking it up but isn't there two Secret Wars?

The old one was the Beyonder story right? the original one, then the 2nd version was the invasion of all the Beyonders and basically took out everything with that Battle world etc.

Going to be a bit of a handful story if their telling Kangs time travel conquering plus anything to do with the Beyonders as one has nothing to do with the other.

.............on a side note, loved the BP trailer, not sure how I feel about them killing off Tchalla's character so quick (even with the Chad circumstances) as characters are > actors, actors come and go, franchise characters (007 for example) should just carry on.

But the trailer did look great and I loved Namor when I was younger and used to read the comics so even though its touchy to change the iteration of the character, I actually approve of the Aztec style Atlantis they're going for as it helps give them more unique character as a race and seperates them a bit more from Aquaman's version, I thought the Aztec / Mayan theme looked great.

I think if they end up doing Secret Wars it will be a combination of the original and the new, the character of Dr Doom showing up is very likely who he himself is probably from other Multiverse .

Multiple universes colliding but with the battle of teams (Battle World) like the original. Could even see Dr Doom somehow taking the Beyonders power tbf .

Wouldn't be out of left field for them not to put both stories together . There's just too many elements missing from both stories for them to do straight up either one. So I think they'll combine general aspects of the two. cause of the incursion stuff in Multiverse. In the end, we could just get a big event movie with Kang and Dr Doom trying to. Rule or get rid of 'Multiverse ' or some shit. The trilogy of Movies are most like 3 hours plus each tbf. Which 9 hours plus tbf . Funny enough Namor was first half human and and half mutant, then many years they added the half Atlantean part.

Namor didn’t use Atlantis as his kingdom until the 60s so yes he owes it to Aquaman since Aquaman is the one that established Atlantis as their king .
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:21 pm

Didn't know that about Namor although I do remember not seeing Atlanteans being in the comics in those early days, I just remember seeing Namor fighting the Human Torch mostly and I'm sure one of the Human Torches he fought was found out to be a robot version, not the real mccoy.

Anyway I do approve of the MCU's angle on it, I've always found Aquaman too bland, Namor always had more of an edge to his character.

That being said I used to like Hercules and was a big fan of Adam Warlock before Marvel ruined him after the 90's so seeing both of those characters coming in soon is also great although I'm very worried how Gunn is going to handle Warlock, not sure I like what I'm seeing so far but I'll reserve judgement till the film.

The MCU has a lot more work to do getting Marvel Cosmic stories up to scratch, GOTG are good but I'd like to see a Star Wars type tone to their cosmic films, not just goofy slapstick types.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:31 pm

Top Gun: Maverick

Wow

Paid extra to see it it Dolby Cinema and it blew me away.

I don't think any film will ever be able to top that experience.

The perfect blockbuster movie.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby themessiah » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:19 am

Maverick is a 10/10 tbf. Even better than the original. Btw Prey 9/10. was the perfect example of what smart writing can accomplish in a film. I think they went too overboard with Show the spoiler
Naru and not being able to Hunt. Also, Predator was badass. Super cool! The planned kill in the ending battle was a little much. So for that
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Rockape » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:24 am

Top Gun, is great fun....but utterly ludicrous plot!

A completely different but extremely compelling film, is 13 on Amazon Prime. Directed by Ron Howard, its the Thai Cave rescue story. For once, I wasn't watching a film thinking, that would never happen!

Highly recommeneded.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Ach » Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:57 pm

Black Adam tonight

Black Panther 2 on Friday

Black lives do indeed matter
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby VCC » Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:59 pm

Had.some spare time so boy suggested to watch a movie,
Grimsby ……. I laughed so much i lost the plot and had to leave the room to catch my breath, i was still laughing days later thinking about the elephant scene
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Ach » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:45 pm

Got to love Dwayne Johnson. Never seen him in a bad film

DC stepping up its game
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:55 pm

Ach wrote:Black Adam tonight

Black Panther 2 on Friday

Black lives do indeed matter

I don't really watch DC anymore, haven't even seen Suicide Squad 2 yet.

I am looking forward to BP 2 though, Namor was one of my fav comics to read when I was young so even though they've done a bit of a different take on his origin, still looking forward to it.

I'd be a bit miffed about the origin swap but I do take into account that its almost identical to Aquaman so they gave the green light to alter it a bit so I'm good with it.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Films