General Movie Discussion Thread

Re: Last movie you watched

Postby Ach » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:04 pm

First was very good but I don't really care about the drugs and stuff. 2nd wasn't about that.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:17 am

Gary Oldman, Sam Rockwell and Frances McDormand.

:hail:

Three Billboards missed out on Best Picture, Director and Original Screenplay which is disappointing.

But I mostly cared about Oldman and Rockwell winning and they did, so I'm happy.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Ach » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:40 am

Never heard of The Shape Of Water which won most Oscars.

Never heard of that billboard film either.

I think it's fair to say after the travesty of an Oscars, thank f**k for marvel. Think many will jump on the marvel bandwagon now.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:31 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Gary Oldman, Sam Rockwell and Frances McDormand.

:hail:

Three Billboards missed out on Best Picture, Director and Original Screenplay which is disappointing.

But I mostly cared about Oldman and Rockwell winning and they did, so I'm happy.

Don't forget del Toro. :D

It was essential that Shape of Water won. Genre films don't win Oscars. del Toro = boss.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:50 pm

FOURTEEN YEARS

STILL NO LEAGUE TITLE

HOW COME, MR. WENGER?
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Yago » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:12 am

finally saw 3 billboards
great movie
Yago
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner

Postby starmandb » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:55 am

Yago wrote:finally saw 3 billboards
great movie

Brilliant
Best film seen in a long while
Well deserved oscars on best actor and supporting actor
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby UFGN » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:01 am

starmandb wrote:
Yago wrote:finally saw 3 billboards
great movie

Brilliant
Best film seen in a long while
Well deserved oscars on best actor and supporting actor

It was a great film. Frances Mcdormand reminded me of Sigourney Weaver at her best. I thought all three of the main male supporting actors, and in fact the whole ensemble were excellent.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:52 pm

Right question for you guys ................

After never watching it I heard about Citizen Kane, now I'm not sure why but I always thought it was a film starring Michael Cain lol.

Anyway I just watched it ............ greatest film of all time my arse!!

Relatively boring, struggled badly 3/4 of the way through and the only driving force it has is the "Rosebud" mystery.

Now don't get me wrong I appreciate the technical aspects for its time but this is definitely a wannabe "movie academics" film, people in jazz hats sipping red wine and eating cheese & biscuits while they talk about the films lighting and camera shots rather than the average movie viewer who simply wants entertainment.

I don't give two craps about "nuances" of the film and I tried to allow for that as much as possible because I'm not a complete heathen who just appreciates explosions and car chase sequences in fact films soley like that bore me just as much (Transformers & Fast n Furious I'm looking at you).

Anyone seen Citizen Kane and felt the same?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:31 pm

Isnt that old?

Most old films are boring ass shit. Saying that ive never seen it nor have I ever wanted to
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby ThisIsNotAnID » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:20 am

Yeah Citizen Kane seems to come with that extra burden of expectations. It didn't blow my mind the first time either but I disagree that it's more about craft than entertainment (even though craft can be the entertainment). Still, I liked it a lot better the second time and found it quite entertaining mostly due to Welles' performance.
ThisIsNotAnID

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:57 pm

ThisIsNotAnID wrote:Yeah Citizen Kane seems to come with that extra burden of expectations. It didn't blow my mind the first time either but I disagree that it's more about craft than entertainment (even though craft can be the entertainment). Still, I liked it a lot better the second time and found it quite entertaining mostly due to Welles' performance.

Don't get me wrong, the acting's great, from technical standpoint of the time, again top notch, gives an atmosphere etc however .............

The story is nothing new, rich guy ends up self-destructing has been done a million times.

There's not even that much else to the story.

Even the final mystery uncover for "Rosebud" made little sense or impact on the story.

The scale of the story for the time is impressive but it doesn't really go anywhere, its like a Scrooge story without the redemption, there's not much else to say about it.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:16 pm

Dubs4Sam wrote:
Ach wrote:Trainspotting 2

Better than the first

:rofll: :dizzy:

That scene where matey vomits with bag over his head is among the greatest scenes in cinematic history

UFGN

Postby ThisIsNotAnID » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:15 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
ThisIsNotAnID wrote:Yeah Citizen Kane seems to come with that extra burden of expectations. It didn't blow my mind the first time either but I disagree that it's more about craft than entertainment (even though craft can be the entertainment). Still, I liked it a lot better the second time and found it quite entertaining mostly due to Welles' performance.

Don't get me wrong, the acting's great, from technical standpoint of the time, again top notch, gives an atmosphere etc however .............

The story is nothing new, rich guy ends up self-destructing has been done a million times.

There's not even that much else to the story.

Even the final mystery uncover for "Rosebud" made little sense or impact on the story.

The scale of the story for the time is impressive but it doesn't really go anywhere, its like a Scrooge story without the redemption, there's not much else to say about it.
It sounds like maybe it's just not for you. Still, if out of curiosity you were interested in why people hail it, you could maybe do some light research on it and how it has influenced other movies.
ThisIsNotAnID

Postby Ach » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:41 pm

Infinity War

10/10

Just wow, one of the best movies of all time. Has everything you need in a movie. Emotional, comedy, action, eye candy
Ach
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Films