General Movie Discussion Thread

Re: Last movie you watched

Postby Cripps » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:29 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Manoban wrote:wtf is moonlight

F*ck knows. One of those stuffy movies as Cripps wold say.

I've never even heard of it lol

Time to wrap up the Oscars for good. After the debacle of announcing the best winner and lol lol Land being humiliated, it's become a joke event.

Has anyone ever watched a film just cos it won an oscar?

Has anyone ever though oh this film won Oscars so have to watch this?
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Pudpop » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:33 am

Cripps wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Manoban wrote:wtf is moonlight

F*ck knows. One of those stuffy movies as Cripps wold say.

I've never even heard of it lol

Time to wrap up the Oscars for good. After the debacle of announcing the best winner and lol lol Land being humiliated, it's become a joke event.

Has anyone ever watched a film just cos it won an oscar?

Has anyone ever though oh this film won Oscars so have to watch this?

Of course

Usually turns out shit but that's because I watch the good ones before the oscars...
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Angelito » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:40 am

Best Film Oscars almost always goes to heavy-loaded movies with deep themes unless there's a unique movie in the offing. Best Director category is a tell-tale when it comes to the really good movies.

Btw, the preferential voting system (for Best Film) makes it more probable for a 3rd placed movie to win the Oscars. So, if you have a movie that's #2 in everyone's list, it'll win over a movie that placed erratically in the judges' list.

I reckon Moonlight was everyone's "second favorite" movie this year, which is why it won.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Cripps » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:24 pm

Might watch Patriots Day today.

Or John Wick 2
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:26 pm

La La Land

Okay, I know Pud and Callum love it.. Show the spoiler
Tell me about the ending (within the spoiler tags).

I practically loved it. Show the spoiler
I understand the ending, It was cute, adorable, simple, and basically Hollywood from 30s until the early 60s. Even though, it's not the best musical I've seen - the movie lingered around. It meant something. The first 30-40 mins was okay-ish, but after that - it picked up and how.

Ryan Gosling had the "poorer" role and he still managed to steal the show.

Don't want to seem crude; I'd rate it 4.5/5.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Nuggets » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:47 pm

I watched Passengers.2016 I liked it.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Pudpop » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:25 pm

Angelito wrote:La La Land

I understand the ending, It was cute, adorable, simple, and basically Hollywood from 30s until the early 60s. Even though, it's not the best musical I've seen - the movie lingered around. It meant something. The first 30-40 mins was okay-ish, but after that - it picked up and how.

Show the spoiler
The ending simultaneously broke and stole my heart. I thought it was the perfect way to finish the story. Throughout the movie they were never afraid to use and play on tons of different Hollywood clichés throughout but they knew that they wouldn't get away with a simple 'happy ever after'. The way they finished it meant that they not only told a slightly different story (not simply one about love but also about your passions getting in the way of love, a theme that starts in the first verse of the first song) than the standard love story and rags to riches story, but also got to show off the soundtrack in one quickfire medley, which isn't easy to get away with. Epilogue did an amazing job at this (tbh I could write an essay about that song).

I'd agree it's not the best musical you'll ever watch, but I was never expecting that going in. What I was expecting was exactly what you mentioned above though.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Cripps » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:28 pm

Logan sometime next week

Cant wait

10/10
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:58 pm

Pudpop wrote:
Angelito wrote:La La Land

Show the spoiler
The ending simultaneously broke and stole my heart. I thought it was the perfect way to finish the story. Throughout the movie they were never afraid to use and play on tons of different Hollywood clichés throughout but they knew that they wouldn't get away with a simple 'happy ever after'. The way they finished it meant that they not only told a slightly different story (not simply one about love but also about your passions getting in the way of love, a theme that starts in the first verse of the first song) than the standard love story and rags to riches story, but also got to show off the soundtrack in one quickfire medley, which isn't easy to get away with. Epilogue did an amazing job at this (tbh I could write an essay about that song).

I'd agree it's not the best musical you'll ever watch, but I was never expecting that going in. What I was expecting was exactly what you mentioned above though.

Show the spoiler
It was heartbreaking but fit right into the narrative of the movie. Ultimately, it was always about their dreams, wasn't it? And in today's cut-throat world, love does take a precedence to ambition. But this was supposed to be la la land no? :(

I just feel Seb loved Mia more, and that smile at the end; it was so bleak.

I loved the overall movie. First 30 mins, I was like.. What the heck is going on? After that, it was smooth and beautiful. I've yet to watch Moonlight so can't compare the two. As of now, it's my 2nd fav movie of 2016. My fav is Nocturnal Animals. Haven't watched Arrival yet.

Amy Adams <3
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Cripps » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:02 pm

Amy Adams is awesome.

So don't watch Arrival
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Pudpop » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:20 pm

Angelito wrote:
Show the spoiler
I just feel Seb loved Mia more, and that smile at the end; it was so bleak.

100%. It was heartbreaking
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:19 pm

Angelito wrote:
I loved the overall movie. First 30 mins, I was like.. What the heck is going on? After that, it was smooth and beautiful. I've yet to watch Moonlight so can't compare the two. As of now, it's my 2nd fav movie of 2016. My fav is Nocturnal Animals.

Funnily enough I watched that two days ago and was disappointed.

Michael Shannon was a revelation though.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Angelito » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:14 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Angelito wrote:
I loved the overall movie. First 30 mins, I was like.. What the heck is going on? After that, it was smooth and beautiful. I've yet to watch Moonlight so can't compare the two. As of now, it's my 2nd fav movie of 2016. My fav is Nocturnal Animals.

Funnily enough I watched that two days ago and was disappointed.

Michael Shannon was a revelation though.

Basically a dressed up revenge drama.

What did you find disappointing?
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Manoban » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:17 am

Watched moonlight

Boring as fk won an oscar for 1 controversial scene
Manoban
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Angelito » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:17 am

^ Make a movie on lack of drinking water in some poor country with a diverse cast (with J-Law as one of the female leads because America/Hollywood/Oscars love her) - and then have this amazing sustainable development advocate be a Catholic gay - reconciling his religion and sexuality (preferably played by Daniel Day Lewis). Fill in the rest with an African hottie, a Chinese nerd, an Indian transsexual, and a Russian (preferably sinister). Don't forget to include a scene where you're paying homage to one of Hollywood's favorite films from the Golden Era.

Throw in poverty and children somewhere - the ramifications of Donald Trump as the leader of the world - boom! The movie will be so loaded and long, nobody will watch it and those who do - will give you rave reviews and herald you as the Kubrick of this gen. Your movie will be royally snubbed everywhere else, but will win the biggest prize - Oscars for Best Picture. Because you've pulled off a tank of a movie (and hope it's semi-decent), you're sure to be nominated for Best Director, Best Screenplay - Original, Best Actor/Actress, and Best Editing.

Tell your editor to remember the metaphor of water/tears/liquid whenever cutting and your cinematographer to shoot about scenes with that in mind - and long takes.

Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Films