New f1 championship point rules

New f1 championship point rules

Postby Reverend Gooner » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:08 pm

bbc wrote:Formula 1 has introduced a new points system that will see the driver with most wins crowned world champion.

The current points system will still operate to decide a tie if two drivers have the same wins and to define all other championship positions.

Had the new rules been in place in 2008, Lewis Hamilton would have lost the title to runner-up Felipe Massa.

From 2010, there will be an optional budget cap of £30m that will reduce some teams' spending by 90%.

The new rules were approved by the World Motor Sport Council of governing body the FIA at a meeting in Paris on Tuesday.

It rejected a proposal by the F1 Teams' Association to tweak the points system to 12-9-7-5-4-3-2-1 from first to eighth places.

Instead, the current 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 system will stay in place.

The budget cap is an attempt to make F1 more accessible to new teams.

Teams choosing to operate within the budget cap will be allowed more technical freedom.

Those teams will be allowed: a more aerodynamically efficient (but standard) underbody; movable wings; an engine which is not subject to a rev limit or a development freeze.

Teams can choose to spend what they like, but operate within more restrictive technical rules - and therefore have a theoretically slower car.

© BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsp ... 948455.stm

Edit:

Ok so i jumped the gun and it turns out that only top spot will be determined this way so my fears of no overtaking and stupid end positions on the lower places is not warranted.

However the new system still fundamentally lacks integrity as a driver who wins 5 races and crashes and scrapes second with a multitude of other meagre results does not deserve to beat a driver who wins 4 races and comes second in every other race.

It is not as bad as it thought but it is still awful.

My tip to everyone is be careful betting on Hamilton this year as he will have to start winning races from the off and his car does not look to be able to do that.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: New f1 championship point rules

Postby Cheese » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:05 pm

The whole thing stinks. :disgust:

I want to go on one big rant but i think i'll leave it for another day :angry:
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby rogerthornhill » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:33 pm

It's all very confusing. They mess around with the rules far too much. They are putting so many rules in place that they are creating an artificial system where teams will have to weigh one lot of rules against another lot of rules to try to work out which might benefit them the most. F1 should be about racing overtaking and trying to finish first but this maze of rules seems designed to turn it into a labyrinthine festival of strategy and tactics. As for this rule that engines have to last three races, well, I don't know what to say. :dontknow: I thought that the two-race rule was bad enough but three races with one engine, come on.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby gzagee » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:17 pm

I was against Bernie's change at first, but it does kind of encourage more risk taking and more genuine competition. Long gone are the days when drivers actually tried to overtake their rival on the track. Not since Ayrton Senna have I seen an F1 driver actually go hell for leather in doing that.
My mate reckons that's why as a spectator sport Moto GP is much more exciting.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Reverend Gooner » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:52 pm

gzagee wrote:I was against Bernie's change at first, but it does kind of encourage more risk taking and more genuine competition. Long gone are the days when drivers actually tried to overtake their rival on the track. Not since Ayrton Senna have I seen an F1 driver actually go hell for leather in doing that.
My mate reckons that's why as a spectator sport Moto GP is much more exciting.

It won't encourage more overtaking or risk, especially since engines have to last 3 races or a 10 place grid penalty will be enforced the next race.

If you are a championship contender (which pretty much all the tv focuses on) why would you try and take risks getting from 5th to 4th, 4th to 3rd or 3rd to 2nd if only first will really do? If you are not going to win then why risk pushing harder to go up that one place if an engine blow will mean you won't win the next race? You will just relax and coch behind another driver and finish in the points you are in and go for it next race.

Of course some drivers may still go for it on occasions but when it comes to tactics that is what they will think about.

In fact i think the ideas of "win at all costs" and "extreme" engine conservation (which 3 races to an engine rule is) are in complete contradiction to eachother and i can't believe they have done it.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Motor Sport