De la Rosa unhappy with test ban

De la Rosa unhappy with test ban

Postby Cheese » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:27 am

McLaren's Formula One test driver Pedro De la Rosa says the ban on in-season testing could prove to be dangerous.

New measures were brought in by the FIA, the sport's governing body, as part of cost-cutting measures for F1.

With Barcelona hosting the last testing session ahead of the season-opener in Australia on 29 March, De la Rosa is worried if reserve drivers are needed.

"We could be a problem, with regard to safety, if we haven't driven enough," he said after testing in Jerez, Spain.

Teams are currently preparing for the new season, which opens with the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne at the end of March.

The FIA opted for the new ban in December last year and it could lead to F1 team's test drivers becoming redundant for the rest of the year.

The 38-year-old Spaniard added: "I'm hoping I can test again in the next few weeks because to me it's very important to arrive in Melbourne with as many miles as possible.

"Otherwise, the situation for a reserve driver is ridiculous.

"Arriving in Melbourne with very little mileage done, or not having a single day of testing during the season, makes the test driver rusty in case we have to climb into the car."

© BBC Sports
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Re: De la Rosa unhappy with test ban

Postby Cheese » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:30 am

I'm just gutted i don't get to go watch them test at Silverstone a couple of weeks before the race weekend. You would be more of the cars on two test days than you would see the cars on race weekend. Granted they wasn't racing but it was still amazing to see them go round the track more that a 100 times and still put in near to the race weekend speed.

I can also see where De la Rosa is coming from with a drivers point of view.
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby rogerthornhill » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:25 pm

The FIA mess around with the rules and regulations far too often. They should try leaving them alone for a while.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Cheese » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:02 pm

I do understand they are trying to cut the cost of F1 but getting rid of mid season testing is stupid.
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Return to Motor Sport