Formula One Season 2009 chat

Re: Formula One Season 2009 chat

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:16 pm

I agree Leody, he was unlucky today because he didn't get the chance to go on intermediates like most other drivers. He had to go for 2 laps on the full wets as back to the pits, change and a hot lap would have been too much time. So he was in no position to get a time worthy of the second quali.

He still didn't race well but his position on the grid is mainly due to factors out of his control.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby gooneritis » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:33 am

Leody wrote:
Irish_Gooner wrote:Could be a washout tomorrow indeed. Jenson isnt really making it easy for himself is he. On current form he doesnt deserve the title. Barrichello has some chance tomorrow on a track he grew up on

That is such BS... I hate statements like that, because we all know he would be hailed as one of the greatest drivers ever if the season's results were reversed and he made a big comeback after a bad start...

He deserves the title either way for the total of his performances this year.

agreed.

if you win a title, you deserve the title, end of.
ImageImage
gooneritis
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:04 pm

Incredible start
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby gzagee » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:36 pm

Not much of a fan but props to Jenson Button for winning the 2009 championship.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:17 pm

Amazing, absolutely amazing. Some of Button's overtaking in that race was world class and extremely risky. Proves his critics wrong about being a softy.

I can't believe how many people are coming out and saying he is the most undeserved champion ever. How can someone who scored the most points, won the most races and lead the championship from the very start to the very end not deserve the title?

Well done Jensen
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby damo1583 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:35 pm

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welldone Jenson, Frome is rightly proud of our World champion............

Also big hats off to Brawn GP fairytale does not begin to tell the story of the 2009 constructors champions..........

Get in there!
Who you tryin' to get crazy with ese? Don't you know i'm LOCO?
damo1583
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby rogerthornhill » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:01 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:I can't believe how many people are coming out and saying he is the most undeserved champion ever. How can someone who scored the most points, won the most races and lead the championship from the very start to the very end not deserve the title?
Well done Jensen

I think that most people in the sport realise that he is a long way from being the best driver in the championship, I can think of at least five of his rivals who are better drivers. He has won the championship because the Brawn cars were so far superior at the beginning of the season, when Brawn had their clear advantage he won 6 of the first 7 races, when some of the other teams caught up with Brawn he had just 1 podium finish in the following 9 races.

Lets think about that, he is driving one of the best cars around yet in the last nine races he has had just one podium finish, second place in Italy.

He has been in F1 for 10 years and before he got in a car which was clearly superior to every other car around he has never looked liked being a consistent winner let alone world champion. Up until the end of the 2008 season he had 148 starts with 1 victory then he got into the Brawn car and won 6 of the next 7, that seems to suggest that his victories are down to his car. 10 years in F1 with 148 starts and just 1 solitary victory but now he is the world champion??

I don't have anything against him, good luck and congratulations to him but to me he is just a reasonably good driver and that's all.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:28 am

i used to enjoy watching the odd f1 race, but this season i have 100% been turned off by the sport.

so much shit off thetrack

plus i know its always been the case, but it just seems so blatantly obvious that its about the car not the driver who wins the race, and for me thats not sport and i wont watch it again

sorry for my negative attitude lol
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Reverend Gooner » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:21 am

rogerthornhill wrote:
Reverend Gooner wrote:I can't believe how many people are coming out and saying he is the most undeserved champion ever. How can someone who scored the most points, won the most races and lead the championship from the very start to the very end not deserve the title?
Well done Jensen

I think that most people in the sport realise that he is a long way from being the best driver in the championship, I can think of at least five of his rivals who are better drivers. He has won the championship because the Brawn cars were so far superior at the beginning of the season, when Brawn had their clear advantage he won 6 of the first 7 races, when some of the other teams caught up with Brawn he had just 1 podium finish in the following 9 races.

Lets think about that, he is driving one of the best cars around yet in the last nine races he has had just one podium finish, second place in Italy.

He has been in F1 for 10 years and before he got in a car which was clearly superior to every other car around he has never looked liked being a consistent winner let alone world champion. Up until the end of the 2008 season he had 148 starts with 1 victory then he got into the Brawn car and won 6 of the next 7, that seems to suggest that his victories are down to his car. 10 years in F1 with 148 starts and just 1 solitary victory but now he is the world champion??

I don't have anything against him, good luck and congratulations to him but to me he is just a reasonably good driver and that's all.

I agree, he is not one of the most talented drivers champions but i still think he deserved this years championship which is what this comes down to. I will agree with anyone who says if all champions raced he would be at the back of the grid but as for this years he deserves it and i think people shouldn't be so harsh on him.

You raise a good point about his record, greats such as Prost and Senna only won a title in the best car but they showed their quality without a doubt in their previous lesser car years and Jensen didn't do that (bar one year when he came 3rd).

There are other suspect championships too like Rosberg in 82 only won 1 race (i think) and Piquet had some similarly suspect wins too so Button isn't the only one but they all deserve respect i think, it's not an easy title to take in any manner.

I totally agree with what you are saying about his quality though, there are people who have never won the title that are much better than Jensen.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby rogerthornhill » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:29 am

Reverend Gooner wrote:There are other suspect championships too like Rosberg in 82 only won 1 race (i think) and Piquet had some similarly suspect wins too so Button isn't the only one but they all deserve respect i think, it's not an easy title to take in any manner.

It isn't easy and he did hang in there, however he ranks against the others he has won the title and no one can take that from him.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Reverend Gooner » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:36 am

I fully expect the Ferrari's, the McLarens and most likely the Red Bulls to be bang up to the task next year so if Jensen can win it (or at least hold his own to an impressive degree) against them next year then there can be no doubt.

I must admit i am excited for next year and the prospect of the return of the big guns. Every year there is more than enough off track bullshit to put me off the sport for life but for some reason i can't do it, it's too good.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby CynicalGooner » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:28 am

Well done to Button, he had a good race yesterday and deservers the Championship overall.

I do think he's a bit of a dick though. No class
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Previous

Return to Motor Sport