Formula One Season 2009 chat

Re: Fomula One season 2009 chat

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:50 pm

its funny how it changes every season, in terms of one team being shit, then good

thing is its down to the cars ultimately not the driver, so the likes of hamilton getting sports personality etc i dont the F1 drivers should get that
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby niko197 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:56 pm

absolutely_fabregas wrote:its funny how it changes every season, in terms of one team being shit, then good

thing is its down to the cars ultimately not the driver, so the likes of hamilton getting sports personality etc i dont the F1 drivers should get that

that's why i would give them all the same motors and we will see who is the best driver
niko197
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Reverend Gooner » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:12 pm

absolutely_fabregas wrote:its funny how it changes every season, in terms of one team being shit, then good

You could say the same if a striker gets 30 goals in a season and 80% of them were little tap ins yet wins sports personality. The people around them did the work but they got the award.

I think F1 drivers deserve it as much as any, it is ridiculously hard to drive them and it is not all about the cars or else the drivers championship table would finish in two's but it doesn't. Just compare Hamilton and Kovaleinen, Alonso and Piquet or if you are talking about 2 teammates of closer experience look at Vettel and Bourdais last season.

Driving in the wet is a nightmare and it happens alot and overtaking and defending is a personal skill which is nothing to do with a car. They have to concetrate for over 90 minutes at speeds of up to 200mph, reaching massive G forces whilst concentrating on every last thing as well as what other nearby drivers are doing. One little split second mistake and their race is done! F1 drivers definately deserve to get individual praise.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:15 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:

You could say the same if a striker gets 30 goals in a season and 80% of them were little tap ins yet wins sports personality. The people around them did the work but they got the award.

I think F1 drivers deserve it as much as any, it is ridiculously hard to drive them and it is not all about the cars or else the drivers championship table would finish in two's but it doesn't. Just compare Hamilton and Kovaleinen, Alonso and Piquet or if you are talking about 2 teammates of closer experience look at Vettel and Bourdais last season.

Driving in the wet is a nightmare and it happens alot and overtaking and defending is a personal skill which is nothing to do with a car. They have to concetrate for over 90 minutes at speeds of up to 200mph, reaching massive G forces whilst concentrating on every last thing as well as what other nearby drivers are doing. One little split second mistake and their race is done! F1 drivers definately deserve to get individual praise.

you win :redface: , you know what im trying to say though, i know its still hard and you have to be skillful,ultimately it will be the best car that wins the championship no?

but lets take a tennis player, or a sprinter etc etc its nearly 100% about the athlete in those sports
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Reverend Gooner » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:24 pm

absolutely_fabregas wrote:
Reverend Gooner wrote:

you win :redface: , you know what im trying to say though, i know its still hard and you have to be skillful,ultimately it will be the best car that wins the championship no?

[b]but lets take a tennis player, or a sprinter etc etc its nearly 100% about the athlete in those sports[/b[

Absolutely and that is why Hoy won it despite Hamilton being World Champion but rest assured that when an F1 driver wins it, they will deserve it.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby rogerthornhill » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:33 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:Not only that but Maclaren and Ferrari don't have an unlimited budget to get their cars to an unbeatable stage any more. £30m is the maximum any team can spend, if they go over they are forced into restrictions which could prevent their car from being unbeatable anyway.

The only way they could get back near the top is if the diffuser is declared illegal which would be so shit as it would be more controversy for the sport and the Aussie stewards should not have said they were ok before the start of the season if they weren't. Although saying that Red Bull have no diffuser and no Kers and they are still faster than both Ferrari and Maclaren so that still may not make either of them top.

I'm not absolutely sure but I don't think that the budget cap will come into effect until 2010. The £30m figure seems ridiculous. Last year the figures were

McLaren: $400m
Toyota: $393m
Honda: $382m
BMW: $378m
Ferrari: $329m
Renault: $300m
Red Bull: $201m

After working on these budgets how do the FIA expect the teams to get by on just £30m, it's simply laughable.

With the diffusers that will just even out. If they are declared illegal then that's that we can forget about them. On the other hand if they are given the go ahead then all the teams will have them. Something that puzzles me is how did Brawn, Williams and Toyota all develop their diffusers at the same time. Last year there were no diffusers then this year three different teams have developed virtually the same technology? It seems very odd to me.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Reverend Gooner » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:53 pm

rogerthornhill wrote:
Reverend Gooner wrote:Not only that but Maclaren and Ferrari don't have an unlimited budget to get their cars to an unbeatable stage any more. £30m is the maximum any team can spend, if they go over they are forced into restrictions which could prevent their car from being unbeatable anyway.

The only way they could get back near the top is if the diffuser is declared illegal which would be so shit as it would be more controversy for the sport and the Aussie stewards should not have said they were ok before the start of the season if they weren't. Although saying that Red Bull have no diffuser and no Kers and they are still faster than both Ferrari and Maclaren so that still may not make either of them top.

I'm not absolutely sure but I don't think that the budget cap will come into effect until 2010. The £30m figure seems ridiculous. Last year the figures were

McLaren: $400m
Toyota: $393m
Honda: $382m
BMW: $378m
Ferrari: $329m
Renault: $300m
Red Bull: $201m

After working on these budgets how do the FIA expect the teams to get by on just £30m, it's simply laughable.

With the diffusers that will just even out. If they are declared illegal then that's that we can forget about them. On the other hand if they are given the go ahead then all the teams will have them. Something that puzzles me is how did Brawn, Williams and Toyota all develop their diffusers at the same time. Last year there were no diffusers then this year three different teams have developed virtually the same technology? It seems very odd to me.

Maybe it is next year, that will give them one more shot to have an economical advantage. However i swear Brundle said on sunday that they don't have that advantage any more? Who knows, from their point of view it better not be true.

It seems funny that all 3 of them have the same technology but maybe great minds think alike. Or maybe they all gave up on last seasons car whilst Ferrari, Mclaren and BMW were all fighting it out for the title so were still focusing on the current season and now those 3 are behind.

I just fail to believe that all 3 of them would put them on their cars if they did were not legally allowed to use them according to the rules. They must surely be legal, it would be crazy if they went and did that and invest the money to do it, they must have thoroughly checked it.

I really really hope they are allowed to keep them or at least if they are deemed illegal then they are just banned and no points from previous races are docked as the stewards themselves allowed them to be raced with.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Cheese » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:27 am

The budget cap is a gradual rule being introduced.
From what i understand there is now a cap but that cap will get smaller and smaller throughout the next few seasons.
I think Max Mosley wants a cap of £30m one day. But many have said this is a ridiculous goal though.
I guess we'll have to wait and see.
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Reverend Gooner » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:10 pm

Cheese wrote:The budget cap is a gradual rule being introduced.
From what i understand there is now a cap but that cap will get smaller and smaller throughout the next few seasons.
I think Max Mosley wants a cap of £30m one day. But many have said this is a ridiculous goal though.

That makes more sense than an immediate drop. That still means though that McLaren and Ferrari do not have unlimited coffers to spend on their car, that really could level the playing field.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Cheese » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:31 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:
Cheese wrote:The budget cap is a gradual rule being introduced.

That makes more sense than an immediate drop. That still means though that McLaren and Ferrari do not have unlimited coffers to spend on their car, that really could level the playing field.

Yeah this time they can't 'buy' their way out of trouble. I do feel they will have enough though when it comes to Europe.
Still think the other teams will compete but McLaren and Ferrari will start winning at least.
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby rogerthornhill » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:54 pm

McLaren have to face an inquiry into the Melbournegate saga. It's going to be on April 29th but the details aren't yet available. I think that they are being charged with breaking the international sporting code but I'm not sure of the precise wording.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby rogerthornhill » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:58 pm

This is from SSN -

McLaren will appear before an extraordinary meeting of the FIA World Motorsport Council in Paris on April 29, the FIA have confirmed.

The team will be asked to answer charges that they lied to stewards at the Australian Grand Prix.

The International Automobile Federation (FIA) said in a statement on Tuesday that the team of world champion Lewis Hamilton were charged with breaching the international sporting code on five counts.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 52,00.html
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Reverend Gooner » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:10 pm

rogerthornhill wrote:This is from SSN -

McLaren will appear before an extraordinary meeting of the FIA World Motorsport Council in Paris on April 29, the FIA have confirmed.

The team will be asked to answer charges that they lied to stewards at the Australian Grand Prix.

The International Automobile Federation (FIA) said in a statement on Tuesday that the team of world champion Lewis Hamilton were charged with breaching the international sporting code on five counts.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 52,00.html

I have been critical in the past of FIA charges against McLaren and their drivers but this time it is fully justified. WTF were McLaren doing, they have really lost the plot there.

The only thing i would say is that i hope any punishments are metted out on the team and not Lewis Hamilton as Lewis was only doing what he was told by a superior.

They lost both constructors points and drivers points in Australia and their reputation has taken a massive hit. Personally i think a big fine will suffice (obviously not of criminal amounts like the last one) and a severe warning. I would hate to see drivers points compromised or race bans for them.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Yorkyblue » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:16 pm

It's a shame Hamilton lost points there. Especially if he really was just doing as he was told.

I was led to believe Hamilton was ignoring them, and that's what started all the lying as to try cover each others backs. I've not really read everything about it so I could easily be way off.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby rogerthornhill » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:20 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:The only thing i would say is that i hope any punishments are metted out on the team and not Lewis Hamilton as Lewis was only doing what he was told by a superior.

I'm not sure about this, if he was ordered to go along with what Dave Ryan was saying he didn't have to comply. I know the line that claims that he had to do as he was told but he has a mind of his own and he could have told the truth. If he had told the truth and Mclaren tried to take sanctions against him they would have been on very sticky ground because he was merely telling the truth. It isn't right for any employer to force an employee to lie.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Motor Sport