michael schumacher in skiiing accident

michael schumacher in skiiing accident

Postby Trina » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:44 pm

Ive followed this since I saw it earlier, just saw reports on twitter its really bad...brain hemorrhage. Not sure if thats true though.

I dont like the guy but I wouldnt wish this on anyone and I hope he pulls through.

(CNN) -- Michael Schumacher, the most successful driver in Formula One history, is recovering in hospital from "severe head trauma" after a skiing accident in the French Alps on Sunday.

The 44-year-old German, who retired from the elite motorsport for the second and final time in 2012, fell and hit his head on a rock, said the director of the Meribel resort where Schumacher was skiing.

Christophe Gernignon-Lecomte initially told CNN affiliate BFM TV that the injury "is not very serious" but the station later reported it to be "severe head trauma," citing police.

In a phone interview with CNN, Gernignon-Lecomte said the incident happened just after 11 a.m. local time (1000 GMT) while Schumacher was skiing off-piste (on unmarked slopes) in the mountains of Meribel resort between Georges Bauduis Piste and La Biche Piste.

"He was alone and he wore a helmet. He hit his head on a rock," Gernignon-Lecomte said.

"He was rescued a few minutes later by two first aid workers. He was then transferred by helicopter to a nearby hospital.

"He was conscious but in shock when he arrived in the hospital. To be able to determine the exact causes of the accident, we have to wait for a police report.

"There is an open investigation going on. We insist on the fact that Michael Schumacher was skiing off-piste and his fall is not linked to an avalanche."

Schumacher's spokesperson Sabine Kehm released a statement to the official F1 website, confirming the accident had happened on "a private ski trip."

"He was taken to hospital and is receiving professional medical care," she said.

"We ask for understanding that we cannot give continuous information about his health. He was wearing a helmet and was not alone. For his fall, no other person was involved."

A spokesman for the first-aid responders in Meribel -- who asked not to be named as a matter of protocol -- confirmed that Schumacher was wearing a helmet, and said he had suffered "a relatively bad head injury."
Mentoring Vettel and Schumacher

He said Schumacher had been transferred from the Hospital of Moutiers to the Grenoble Hospital, where there is a trauma center.

The spokesman added that the injury was "not life-threatening" and that Schumacher was conscious at the scene of the accident.

Former French F1 driver Olivier Panis visited the hospital in Grenoble but was not able to see Schumacher, BFM reported.

"I will come back tomorrow. Yes I am worried," Panis told BFM.

"I know that his family has arrived. As I am here in Grenoble, I want to come to him and say hello, for old times' sake. He is a great champion and someone very loved in Formula One."

Schumacher made his F1 debut in 1991, and had won a record seven world titles by the time of his first retirement in 2006 -- five of those with Ferrari.

He returned to the track with the revived Mercedes team in 2010, but struggled to repeat his earlier glories.

His best finish was third place at last year's European Grand Prix in Valencia, his only podium position in three seasons with the German manufacturer.

British journalist Kevin Garside told CNN that Schumacher was "a very good skier" but acknowledged that he was "fearless" -- like most F1 drivers.

"These people don't recognize fear like you and I do. There is no gene in their body that lets them go slow," Garside said.

"Schumacher wasn't a skier when he joined Ferrari (in 1996) but by the end he was excellent. Each year Ferrari used to have a media week in the Alps in Italy and they would always have a race -- and it was always Schumacher who won. He was a genuinely quick skier.

"But he was always very mindful of the danger around him. I approached him for an interview at the top of the slope and he said it would have to be quick as he wanted to check the piste. That meant he wanted to make sure he understood the slopes, the cambers, even though it was only a fun race."

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/12/29/sport ... otorsport/
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Re: michael schumacher in skiiing accident

Postby UFGN » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:43 pm

Reported on bbc news that his condition is described as critical by the hospital. Looks very serious.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Kyle? » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:47 pm

I read this earlier, and he was OK at the time, what's happened? How's he gone from being "stable" to being in a coma?

Best wishes to him and his family, not a fan of him by any stretch, but as a massive F1 fan, i have an insane amount of respect for him.
Fatal Descent
Spinning around
I've gone too far
To turn back round

Desperate attempt
Stop the progression
At any length
Lift this obsession

Arsenal In, Arsene Out
Kyle?
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby ClockEnd Mark » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:52 pm

Best wishes to him.

Dont see why your putting you dont like him though :dontknow:
ClockEnd Mark
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby UFGN » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:52 pm

The general tone of the news reports is a lot more serious now than earlier in the day.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Zenith » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:14 pm

Damn, hope he pulls through.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Zedie » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:28 pm

Best wishes to him.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby GSK_AFC » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:30 pm

He's in a coma now. Hope he pulls through.
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby kronickaos » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:26 am

poor bastard. cheating death as an F1 racer and then to have something like this happen on holiday... terrible.
kronickaos
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:25 am

My prayers are with Michael. Come on Michael i know you can pull through.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby lexalove » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:06 pm

Yes, watched the pressa with the neurosurgeons earlier today and seems his injuries are a lot more serious than anticipated.
My thoughts are with his family, especially his 14 year old son who was with him when the accident happened, and I pray he has a good outcome from the treatment he's having at the moment.
Was never one of my favourite drivers in F1 but on a human level I wish him all the very best.
Let's Make Arsenal Great Again!

#CrookedKroenkeOut - #LyingGazidisOut - #CrazyWengerOut
lexalove
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Trina » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:01 am

Live update on SSN now. Hope its positive news.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Trina » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:00 am

"We are still concerned and we are still worried. We can't tell ourselves that we have won.

"There are highs and lows and the situation is slightly better than yesterday but we must be realistic and the whole family is well aware of the situation and very sensitive to everything that is done."

"He still remains in a coma and for the moment there is absolutely no question of evaluating him form a neurological point of view and seeing how he will be when he wakes up.

"At the moment we still have some other problems, some other treatments that have to remain.

"The situation is still critical but the situation is not exactly the same as it was yesterday.

"He is is in a state of hypothermia and he's kept in an artificial coma. How long could that last? It will last the time that we judge to be necessary."

But he won't be moved from Grenoble right now.

"For the moment to envisage a transfer would be dangerous due to his medical condition which is still very fragile," they added.

"At the moment with the work that we are carrying out as a medical team, I would say that with the support that we have from the larger medical community, we feel it is important for him to be here."

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1 ... z2p36e5HWg
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:23 pm

He has cheated death for so many years in formula 1. I know he will pull though. My entire family is a bunch of F1 fans and this news has saddened us no end.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:38 am

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:He has cheated death for so many years in formula 1. I know he will pull though. My entire family is a bunch of F1 fans and this news has saddened us no end.

Mika Hakkinen vs Michael Schumacher

Great rivarly, especially in the late '90s. F1 hasn't been as good as it was back then imo... really hope he pulls through.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Next

Return to Motor Sport