Formula One 2011 Season Chat thread

Formula One 2011 Season Chat thread

Postby gzagee » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:30 am

Vettel starts in pole position for the Aussie GP, Hamilton joins him at the front of the grid.

1st row: 1. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull - 2. Lewis Hamilton, McLaren

2nd row: 3. Mark Webber Red Bull - 4. Jenson Button, McLaren

3rd row: 5. Fernando Alonso, Ferrari - 6. Vitaly Petrov, Renault

4th row: 7. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes - 8. Felipe Massa, Ferrari

5th row: 9. Kamui Kobayashi, Sauber - 10. Sebastian Buemi, Toro Rosso

6th row: 11. Michael Schumacher, Mercedes - 12. Jaime Alguersuari, Toro Rosso

7th row: 13. Sergio Perez, Sauber - 14. Paul di Resta, Force India

8th row: 15. Pastor Maldonado, Williams - 16. Adrian Sutil, Force India

9th row: 17. Rubens Barrichello, Williams - 18. Nick Heidfeld, Renault

10th row: 19. Heikki Kovalainen, Lotus - 20. Jarno Trulli, Lotus
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Re: Formula One 2011 Season Chat thread

Postby CynicalGooner » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:40 am

I watched the qualifying, was pretty interesting. I don't get why they are always messing with things. The new tyres seem shit, KERS was lame before and still is and that weird spoiler thing they have now is is a hazard. Vettel is on fire but I still feel Hamilton is the better driver and if McLaren can get their car to Red Bull's level I think he'll be champion this season.

Oh and Eddie Jordan is still a muppet, I cant stand the man!
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby gzagee » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:56 pm

I think Alonso will be Vettel's closest challenger. He was that close last year. Can't stand the man but he is arguably the best driver on the track, for mine.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby CynicalGooner » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:46 am

What a race!! Thrilling from start to finish

Hamilton & Webber :hail:
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Leody » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:18 am

I really like the new rules and tires, makes for some MUCH more interesting racing now that on track passes are far more frequent.

I don't care if the drivers don't like them, keep the quick wearing tires! Make them pit more, and make it more important to take care of them out on the track.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby gzagee » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:10 pm

Really enjoyable watch this morning.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Leody » Sat May 07, 2011 7:45 pm

Hahaha, how about that. Vettel and Webber go out early in Q3, set one time... get out of their cars and say "beat that boys" and then qualify 1-2.

:lol:
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Reverend Gooner » Tue May 10, 2011 2:09 pm

I like Vettel and red bull but this season is going to be as dry as old bones title wise.

One thing I don't like about the new technical package is that it has seriously reduced a top drivers ability to hold a faster up behind them through driving skill. Now with the new wings and Kers it is so easy to blitz past drivers at certain points of the tracks. They wanted more overtaking and it is easier now and we are seeing lots of it but it is too hard to defend now and that is a massive shame as I love seeing drivers keeping faster cars at bay. It is one of the few times where you know you are watching the driver over the car and now that is vanishing.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Leody » Tue May 10, 2011 7:11 pm

This week was great for that Rev!

The DRS being activated on the back straight made for some easy passing, but if the driver in front was skilled, he could hold them off or repass them in the 3 turn sequence coming up to the finish. Made for some GREAT back and forth battles.

I agree about Vettel and the title being a bit dry, but man that kid is fast. He's make his teammate who's in the same car look like and afterthought. He's been amazing. Gotta tip your hat to that, like him or not...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Massa » Tue May 10, 2011 7:16 pm

gzagee wrote:Vettel starts in pole position for the Aussie GP, Hamilton joins him at the front of the grid.

1st row: 1. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull - 2. Lewis Hamilton, McLaren

2nd row: 3. Mark Webber Red Bull - 4. Jenson Button, McLaren

3rd row: 5. Fernando Alonso, Ferrari - 6. Vitaly Petrov, Renault

4th row: 7. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes - 8. Felipe Massa, Ferrari
5th row: 9. Kamui Kobayashi, Sauber - 10. Sebastian Buemi, Toro Rosso

6th row: 11. Michael Schumacher, Mercedes - 12. Jaime Alguersuari, Toro Rosso

7th row: 13. Sergio Perez, Sauber - 14. Paul di Resta, Force India

8th row: 15. Pastor Maldonado, Williams - 16. Adrian Sutil, Force India

9th row: 17. Rubens Barrichello, Williams - 18. Nick Heidfeld, Renault

10th row: 19. Heikki Kovalainen, Lotus - 20. Jarno Trulli, Lotus
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Reverend Gooner » Tue May 10, 2011 8:56 pm

Leody wrote:This week was great for that Rev!

The DRS being activated on the back straight made for some easy passing, but if the driver in front was skilled, he could hold them off or repass them in the 3 turn sequence coming up to the finish. Made for some GREAT back and forth battles.

They were great but it is too easy, the drivers have admitted it themselves. I like seeing some dogged defending with difficult passes and that is gone now. It is all down to preference though, I know many have been crying out for more overtaking for ages. I just think this is a bit too much, Kers on it's own is fine but DRS is overkill.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Re: Formula One 2011 Season Chat thread

Postby Leody » Tue May 10, 2011 11:42 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:
Leody wrote:This week was great for that Rev!

They were great but it is too easy, the drivers have admitted it themselves. I like seeing some dogged defending with difficult passes and that is gone now. It is all down to preference though, I know many have been crying out for more overtaking for ages. I just think this is a bit too much, Kers on it's own is fine but DRS is overkill.

I think it has a a lot to do with the course it's on though... like at Monaco the DRS is going to be pretty much useless. And at Turkey they put it on a long straight after a high speed corner so there it had maximum impact.

They're never going to find a balance that will appease everybody, but I find this setup to be much more exciting than the last couple of years.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Reverend Gooner » Wed May 11, 2011 1:01 am

Another thing that the commentators were bemoaning about (and the drivers have also admitted this) is that because the ability to overtake in the race has increased so much that drivers are not so desperate for position at turn 1 so we are seeing much less chaotic starts now. Less chance of epic comings together and crazy starts :(

Monaco will be an interesting one, I have missed the last 2 years so I really want to see this one. I know what you mean about the course setups but while a driver knows that the high speed corner onto straight + Kers + DRS + slipstream will pretty much guarantee an overtake (where it wouldn't necessary before) then drivers will be less inclined to take risks at other points of the track. Even Kobayashi is taking it easy this year, ffs :lol:

On a plus side it is different and we will see alot of overtakes. I remember watching a race where Schumacher overtook Senna and then Senna retook him on the next corner about 15 laps in a row :lol: it can make for some funny viewing.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Leody » Wed May 11, 2011 5:01 am

Well the DRS is limited to one straight on the track. So if the longest straight isn't that long (like Monaco) or comes right after a tight turn where the speed at the start of the DRS zone is lower, the effect of it will be lessened a great deal. I don't see the DRS really changing much of anything at Monaco tbh. The longest straight, isn't long at all, and as tight as that track is the lead driver will be able to squeeze people out easier.

At Turkey, they went into the start of the DRS zone will over 130mph, so lessening the drag will have a much greater impact on the top speed they could reach in the straight. That's why it looked to have such a great effect. Much more than it did at Australia for example.

More or less, some venues the DRS will change a great deal, others not so much.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby elkanofan » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:52 pm

I have to catch my breath after that epic race. One of the best races of all time!

Still don't know quite how Button won it considering he was 21 and dead last 25 laps from the end. Truly unbelievable.

The guy literally overtook the ENTIRE field!

Shame about what happened with Lewis, just being overzealous.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Next

Return to Motor Sport