Formula One 2011 Season Chat thread

Re: Formula One 2011 Season Chat thread

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:32 pm

He is one of the more likeable dominators in sport. Button stamping down the fact that he is the number 1 Mclaren driver, he just needs to learn to start better.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby elkanofan » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:59 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:He is one of the more likeable dominators in sport. Button stamping down the fact that he is the number 1 Mclaren driver, he just needs to learn to start better.

I love jenson, and i've supported him since 2000 and stuck by him ever since.

He's a top driver but i think Hamilton will be back, it's his team at the end of the day, i don't think button needs to worry really, if he ever leaves there will be a spot ready for him in another team. i can see hamilton ever leaving mclaren.

If button beats him this year, and next he'll prove his point then move on, but i think Hamilton will learn from his mistakes and come on strong next year.

I do love this mclaren team. To be honest there is no number 1 driver for me. Just two very highly talented drivers with two different styles, both the most excitin in F1
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Artemis8 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:54 pm

Shuey wouldnt of kept Seb behind him for that long. Fcuk them and their silly team Germany
Artemis8
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Futuo » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:03 pm

Great overtaking of Alonso by Vettel, 200mph with loaded tyres on the grass - ballsie stuff love it, when Lewis did the same he lifted, the wuss.

Button again great salvage job to get 2nd from where he was.
Futuo
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Artemis8 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:38 pm

I'd love to see Di Resta get some point on Sunday. Force India have been the perfect model for a new team in F1. They have an outside chance of catching Renault this season for there best ever finish.
Artemis8
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Artemis8 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:46 pm

Youngie wrote:I'd love to see Di Resta get some point on Sunday. Force India have been the perfect model for a new team in F1. They have an outside chance of catching Renault this season for there best ever finish.

Di resta best ever finish 6th :cheerleader:
Artemis8
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Futuo » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:36 am

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see LH leave McLaren for Red Bull, if/when SV goes to Mercedes.
Futuo
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Futuo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:48 pm

Futuo
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby VCC » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:57 pm

I am interested Futuo your take on F1 from a football perspective,you lambast the Citys and Chelski of the world for there money backers yet F1 is one of the most one sided sports in the world for the big teams with the money manipulating results what do you think?
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Futuo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:09 pm

Money has ruined the 'sport'. In the past innovators like Colin Chapman could gain an advantage with ingenious design, now the rules are so nailed down it is hard to steal a march on your rivals, but like football a big budget doesn't always guarantee success Toyota & Mercedes for example, and even Ferrari for many many years.

But it is impossible to go backwards, the bigger teams will always be that, the days of the likes of Lotus & Williams winning are long gone, which in footballing terms is probably like PNE or Ipswich ever winning something major again.

And just like football the tickets are taken over by corporate bods now. I used to get free F1 tickets at Silverstone 'my seat' got punted further away from the start finish line by clueless folk there on a corporate jolly for maybe selling more photo copiers or some such, last time I was there there was a bloke in front asking his mate which car James Hunt was in, this was 1995 !! Make the prawn sandwich brigade seem like avid fans by comparison.
Futuo
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby VCC » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:18 pm

Futuo wrote:Money has ruined the 'sport'. In the past innovators like Colin Chapman could gain an advantage with ingenious design, now the rules are so nailed down it is hard to steal a march on your rivals, but like football a big budget doesn't always guarantee success Toyota & Mercedes for example, and even Ferrari for many many years.

But it is impossible to go backwards, the bigger teams will always be that, the days of the likes of Lotus & Williams winning are long gone, which in footballing terms is probably like PNE or Ipswich ever winning something major again.

And just like football the tickets are taken over by corporate bods now. I used to get free F1 tickets at Silverstone 'my seat' got punted further away from the start finish line by clueless folk there on a corporate jolly for maybe selling more photo copiers or some such, last time I was there there was a bloke in front asking his mate which car James Hunt was in, this was 1995 !! Make the prawn sandwich brigade seem like avid fans by comparison.

Being in NZ we all have a closness with Mclaren but i must say from a motor sport side of things i have always found F1 frustrating because of the money issues within the sport,although Yacthing is worse,but the money issue is relative to all motor sport
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Futuo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:24 pm

Yachting - like standing in a cold shower ripping up twenty pound notes (or so I was told by an ex motor sport bod ha ha)

But AFAIK the F1 teams are run like a business in that they make money which is not like football where the likes of Chelsea and City are quite prepared to make a loss year after year to maybe win something.

A team boss like Frank Williams will still appear on the Times Rich List despite his team not having won anything for yonks, in footballing terms he's Mick McCarthy.
Futuo
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby VCC » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:35 pm

Futuo wrote:Yachting - like standing in a cold shower ripping up twenty pound notes (or so I was told by an ex motor sport bod ha ha)

But AFAIK the F1 teams are run like a business in that they make money which is not like football where the likes of Chelsea and City are quite prepared to make a loss year after year to maybe win something.

A team boss like Frank Williams will still appear on the Times Rich List despite his team not having won anything for yonks, in footballing terms he's Mick McCarthy.

So to swing that back around to football is it possible to win the CL without spending money or is it ok like F1 teams just to make up the numbers
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Futuo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:46 pm

It must be okay for the teams like Sauber to make up the numbers, they must get enough out of just being there to justify the costs.

Guess it all depends on the Financial fair Play thing, but as it stands now, no a poor team will never win the CL, it's an elite club and only the rich are allowed in, although for a team like Arsenal being there at all is an achievement as they are beating other clubs that spend more.

They tried to even things out costs wise in F1, and I guess it worked up to a point as Red Bull's budget will be smaller than McLaren's or Ferrari's. I guess Wenger is wanting Arsenal to be Red Bull but so far we're Renault.
Futuo
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby VCC » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:51 pm

Futuo wrote:It must be okay for the teams like Sauber to make up the numbers, they must get enough out of just being there to justify the costs.

Guess it all depends on the Financial fair Play thing, but as it stands now, no a poor team will never win the CL, it's an elite club and only the rich are allowed in, although for a team like Arsenal being there at all is an achievement as they are beating other clubs that spend more.

They tried to even things out costs wise in F1, and I guess it worked up to a point as Red Bull's budget will be smaller than McLaren's or Ferrari's. I guess Wenger is wanting Arsenal to be Red Bull but so far we're Renault.

But is that not beuracracy at its best redbull have beaten the other two giants at what they have done for years for the rules to be changed to favor them again sound like a corrupt sport to me an ever changing line to favor a few much the same as the rugby laws
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

PreviousNext

Return to Motor Sport