Formula 1 season 2010 chat thread

Re: Formula 1 season 2010 chat thread

Postby Leody » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:37 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:
Leody wrote:
CynicalGooner wrote:It is delayed about 10 seconds

If it is delayed then why didn't the catch the swearing and beep it out or just not use that audio?

Censorship is lame

Then why get all bent out of shape that he swore? :dontknow:

I just don't understand the double standard. They're critical of him for swearing, but they could have removed it. Shouldn't the BBC be the ones taking the heat if it really is an issue?

Doesn't really matter either way to be because I think it is a non-issue. Just don't understand the press this is getting. Surely there are more important things for the media to worry about.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby CynicalGooner » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:43 pm

Welcome to hypocritical sensationalist journalism
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:00 pm

If the rain ruins the race again tomorrow then heads should roll
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby SE13 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:46 am

The forecast rain never happened then.

Dominated by Red Bull from start to finish.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:58 am

Boring again, despite how close everyone was to eachother there was hardly any real closing down. We need 2 pit stops and refueling.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby SE13 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:35 am

I wouldn't say it was boring, but it was far from a classic! A few overtaking moves, but nothing special.

Thing is Rev, when it was like this before (no refuelling) we witnessed some absolute crackers, brilliant driving, brilliant overtaking, working out the strategy of opposing teams and matching them. It all got a bit predictable after the rule change and after Schumaker started to dominate, and I think it'll take time to recapture the magic.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby CynicalGooner » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:19 pm

I wanted it to rain. If Lewis could just Qualify in a reasonable position he'd be challenging for top spot

Reverend Gooner wrote:Boring again, despite how close everyone was to eachother there was hardly any real closing down. We need 2 pit stops and refueling.

I think it was crap with refueling, they've made a good step forward but it's not perfect yet
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:48 pm

If it were not for the McLarens and Ferraris starting at the back the number of overtakes would have been pitiful, despite how close the field was.

It was exciting in the 80's before refueling (best ever imo) but that was because the cars were a hell of alot harder to drive and the standard of driver was at a legendary level. Also technology now means the teams know alot more, you will not see people run out of fuel anywhere near as much as before (if at all).

I am not writing it off as the last race was very good but I hope to see more rampant action soon.

Also is Kubica the dark horse again?
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby SE13 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:49 am

I'd love to see them using a foot clutch and crash gear box.........

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Leody » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:56 am

Yeah taking away more driver aides would help things a bit I bet. Right now it is almost nothing but who can build the best car. Very hard for any driver to really make that much of a difference in the car.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby rogerthornhill » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:34 am

It seems a contradiction to me that they bring in so many restrictions on what you can and can't do while they are claiming that they want the sport to be more competitive. I don't like the qualifying as it is now, it was much better when there was a given amount of time to set a fastest lap. I know it will never happen but I would like to see a huge amount of the restrictions scrapped and the manufacturers allowed to build the cars that they want to build, put a limit on engine size and that's it.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Leody » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:43 am

Under whatever cc size engine
No traction control
No flappy paddle gearbox
Allow refueling, keep the two tire compounds thing
Keep the safety restrictions, like wheel tethers, mono-cock construction etc.

Other than that let them go nuts.

Kinda suck for the smaller wallet teams, but it would make the competition a bit more interesting I think.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby SE13 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:15 pm

Well, given the high speeds, it has to be as safe as possible.

But I agree that the limit on engine size should be about all that needs doing. Let's face it, if one team discovers something, the others will pinch it shortly afterwards anyway.

One answer is that every driver has the same car, randomly selected prior to the meet, but that would almost certainly mean the end of the current teams, so that's a no-no.

But the idea of stopping the refuelling means that those on pole aren't going out with a far smaller load of fuel and eating the track up then using the pit stops wisely, everyone is on an even keel.

They tinker with the rules every few years anyway, so doubtless we'll be watching things as they were in a few years time anyway.

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby HighburyChris » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:59 pm

Quite a few people have called for F1 to re-invent itself or more has to be done to keep people interested, etc, etc. Well, no more refuelling has got my vote for starters and I agree with SE13 on that but not much else has to change and if it does, everyone will catch up eventually.
We've had three races so far - Bahrain: I kept falling asleep, it was soooo boring.
Australia: a fantastic race, but then again it normally always is, and finally Malaysia: better than Bahrain, qualifying was the best bit as the big boys got it wrong. They then had to prove how good they were from their start positions plus waiting for rain that never came was exciting.
Anyway, roll on the start of the MotoGP season.
HighburyChris
Patrick Vieira

Postby Dan The Fan » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:48 am

The main problem for F1 is that the cars need to have more mechanical grip and less aerodynamical grip, as this would allow for cars to follow each other closely through corners leading to more over taking. As we have it now, the air that is chewed up and spat out by an F1 car creates such turbulence that once another car is within a second of that dirty air it becomes nearly impossible to over take. Hopefully with the banning of double diffusers next season and a re-introduction to michelin tyres (18 inch sport tyres) will improve this.
Dan The Fan
Liam Brady

PreviousNext

Return to Motor Sport