Great news, Schumacher returns

Great news, Schumacher returns

Postby rogerthornhill » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:32 am

Michael Schumacher is returning to F1, he has signed to drive for Mercedes. This is fantastic news.

Michael Schumacher signs up for F1 return with Mercedes

by Andrew Benson

Seven-times Formula 1 world champion Michael Schumacher will come out of retirement to race for Mercedes next year, BBC Sport understands.

The German, who will be 41 on 3 January, has signed a contract and is set to be unveiled around 1030 GMT.

Schumacher will partner compatriot Nico Rosberg in the team that won the drivers' and constructors' titles in 2009 in its former guise as Brawn.

His spokeswoman Sabine Kehm said she could not make any comment.

The German newspaper Bild is reporting that Schumacher signed a one-year deal and it is likely he will have the option to continue beyond 2010 if his returns goes well.

Schumacher will reportedly earn £6.2m after signing up to reunite with Mercedes team principal Ross Brawn, who masterminded all seven of his titles, the first two with Benetton in 1994-5 and the subsequent five with Ferrari from 2000-4.

Mercedes are known to want German rising star Sebastian Vettel in the long term, but the 22-year-old is contracted to Red Bull until the end of 2012.

Rosberg, who signed for Mercedes shortly after the season ended, has already warned Schumacher he faces a tough task getting back up to speed with F1 but said he would welcome him as a team-mate.

"It will not be easy for him," Rosberg was quoted in German newspaper Stuttgarter Zeitung.

"When you stay away from F1 for a long time, it takes time to get used to all the test sessions again. It's not simple.

Jonathan Legard on Schumacher return
"I have no idea if it (a comeback) is true or not, but if he did join that would be an absolutely fantastic move."

Schumacher was forced to call off a planned temporary comeback as a stand-in for injured Ferrari driver Felipe Massa last season because of a neck injury sustained in a motorcycle accident last February.

But Schumacher is known to have had medical checks recently and it must be assumed he has been given the all clear as he would not want to face the same embarrassment again.

He signed a revised contract as a consultant for Ferrari, but he told Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo last week that he was "very close" to concluding a deal to race for Mercedes.

Ferrari have had to release him from his contract to enable him to race for Mercedes.

His comeback is the most high profile in F1 since Austrian Niki Lauda came out of a two-year retirement for the 1982 season to race for McLaren.

Lauda, who was 33 at the time, went on to win a third world title in 1984.

Juan Manuel Fangio is Formula 1's oldest world champion, the Argentine won a fifth world championship at the age of 46 before retiring.

Nigel Mansell won the 1994 Australian Grand Prix at the age of 41, having stepped in as a substitute for Williams for four races following the death of Ayrton Senna.

Schumacher has been training hard in preparation for a return and, assuming his neck is fully healed, is not expected to have any problems with fitness.

His former team-mate Johnny Herbert told BBC Radio 5 live: "The fitness side is very, very important, but the way Michael keeps himself in shape - he brought the physical aspects of F1 up a couple of notches - it isn't going to be an issue.

"I don't know of anyone that has gone out of F1 and come back and actually achieved something by coming back. Alain Prost wasn't the same when he came back but because of Michael's mentality it is different."

Another former team-mate, Eddie Irvine, told the BBC last week that he expected Schumacher would win races, even though he would not be as powerful a force as before.

"The speed will be there, though he won't be as fast as he was seven years ago," Irvine said.

"He's not at the peak of his game, but he's still good enough to win races as he has such an immense talent. It's still four wheels, a steering wheel and an engine and there's never been anyone better than Michael."

Irvine said he thought Schumacher would be at a disadvantage in wheel-to-wheel racing compared to the younger generation of drivers such as 2008 world champion Lewis Hamilton.

"Lewis isn't going to back off, but Michael will have to because he'll be 41," Irvine said.

The BBC's F1 commentator Jonathan Legard believes Schumacher can compete with the likes of Hamilton and Button if he is given a competitive enough car.

"He wouldn't do something unless he knew he could do it justice," he said. "If Mercedes are any good he'll be in the top four, maybe even pitching for the Championship."

Schumacher's decision brings his career to a neat conclusion - Mercedes, for whom he was racing in sportscars at the time, paid for his F1 debut with Jordan in 1991 but he has never raced for them in F1.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 427552.stm
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Re: Great news, Schumacher returns

Postby Fordy » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:34 am

Not great news, i hate the dirty cheating little ****
Fordy

Postby gzagee » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:35 am

If he can get race fit, it could make for one of the best F1 seasons in recent memory.
Button vs Hamilton vs Vettel vs Schumey vs Alonso
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Popey » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:37 am

I don't like him too.

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Eusebio14 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:17 pm

I want J.P. Montoya back....;-)
Eusebio14
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Swan » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:29 pm

Eusebio14 wrote:I want J.P. Montoya back....;-)

he is doing well over in nascar.. finished 3rd or 4th this year i think..
Swan
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Eusebio14 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:59 pm

Swan wrote:
Eusebio14 wrote:I want J.P. Montoya back....;-)

he is doing well over in nascar.. finished 3rd or 4th this year i think..

great to hear he is doing well...he was my favorite f1 driver and I just loved his way of driving

maybe I'll watch some Nascar inthe next time;-)
Eusebio14
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Briggsy » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:16 pm

Fordy wrote:Not great news, i hate the dirty cheating little ****

what he said
Briggsy
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Swan » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:17 pm

my bad he finished 8th but still not to bad out of 43+
Swan
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Briggsy » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:17 pm

Nascar is shit
Briggsy
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Leody » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:39 pm

TheOne2Smooth wrote:Nascar is shit

I for the life of myself cannot figure out why people watch that shit...
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Swan » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:45 pm

F1 is shit..
Swan
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Yorkyblue » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:08 pm

Leody wrote:

All the have to do is turn left and they still crash the f***ing car! lol
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Briggsy » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:14 pm

Swan wrote:

F1 is shit..

because driving around in circles is amazing? We have that in our country we call them Essex boys
Briggsy
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby StLGooner » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:16 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:
Leody wrote:

All the have to do is turn left and they still crash the f***ing car! lol

There is actually alot more to nascar racing than just going in a circle, but its still boring as f**k to watch. But the rednecks over here love that shit.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Motor Sport