Massa in life threatening condition

Re: Massa in life threatening condition

Postby Trina » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:02 pm

Felipe Massa has woken up and made significant progress in his recovery from life-threatening injuries sustained in a crash during Hungarian grand prix qualifying on Saturday.

The Ferrari driver is being treated at Budapest's AEK military Hospital where doctors offered an optimistic outlook at a press conference on Monday evening.

"In the last 24 hours some major changes have gone through in the condition of Felipe Massa," said Colonel doctor Lajos Zsiros.

"His condition continues to be stable."

Massa has been taken out of an induced coma and is responding to questions.

"As we speak he is sleepy, but he gives adequate answers to the questions we ask him, and he can move his arms and legs spontaneously," Zsiros added.

"Right now he has no fever, and we have removed the drain tube from his wound.

"Further improvement of his condition can be expected. During the night we do not plan to do any more interventions on him."

Massa was hurt when a spring which had fallen from the back of Rubens Barrichello's car struck him on the helmet at 162 mph, dazing him and causing him to lose control of his car and crash into the tyre barriers at high speed.

The accident has left questions over the 28-year-old's future in Formula One.

Earlier on Monday, it was thought that the main threat was an apparent injury to Massa's left eye, which was thought to have been suffered when his helmet was penetrated by the spring.

Professor Robert Veres, the surgeon who operated on Massa over the weekend, had said: "He has suffered some damage to the eye.

"We don't know if he'll be able to race again."
Eye problem

However, Zsiros offered no further information on the condition of Massa's eye at this Monday evening's press conference.

"It is too early to answer this question," he said. "We can give no positive neither negative answer to this, because at this stage the vision cannot be examined."

Zsiros also added that it may be some time before they can be sure if Massa has avoided long-term injuries from the accident.

"There is no such thing as 'this condition', because every case is different," he said. "Of course it isn't impossible.

"There is no interval which we can define, but I would say it should be from one week to 10 days."

Also at the press conference was Dino Altmann, the chief medical officer of Massa's home Brazilian grand prix.

"He spoke, he wanted to know what happened to him. And he had some questions," Altmann said.

"I would like to say that the family is very happy with the treatment Felipe is receiving here, and there's no question about transfer at the moment."

Massa's family have flown to Budapest in the wake of the accident.

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo visited Massa in hospital on Mondat and insisted no decisions would be taken over the Italian marquee's direction for the rest of the season until the driver's situation was clarified.

"Our first priority is Felipe's recovery, Felipe's progress and so on," he said.

"Felipe's been an important member of the Ferrari family for many years, since he arrived as a kid, so we all hope he can come back soon."

Di Montezemlo added: "(Team principal Stefano) Domenicali has to think and make good proposals for the future.

"We don't want to wait too long for Felipe, but our first priority now is to find out about Felipe, and only at that moment will we take a decision."

After Sunday's race at the Hungaroring, Massa was visited by Ferrari team principal Domenicali, team-mate Kimi Raikkonen and Brawn GP's Barrichello and boss Ross Brawn.

FIA investigation

FIA President Max Mosley has, meanwhile, asked for an investigation to be launched into recent debris-related accidents in F1 and Formula Two.

The FIA Safety Commission, which is made up of medical and technical representatives from all areas of motor sport, will submit a report and recommendations to the World Motor Sport Council.

It follows the death of teenage F2 driver Henry Surtees - son of former world champion John - at Brands Hatch earlier this month when his car was struck by a wheel which had come off a rival's car, while this weekend saw Massa's incident and the working loose of a wheel from Fernando Alonso's Renault.

Early suggestions are that Massa's hi-tech helmet - the 8860, developed over eight years by the FIA - prevented his injuries from being far worse.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 11,00.html
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Cheese » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:40 pm

Really hope he gets to race again. Massa was always the "nice guy" of the paddock and it would be a great shame if he can not race again.

Schumacher is on the list to replace Massa for the rest of the season if need be. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motors ... eturn.html
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby damo1583 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:47 pm

I really hope Massa will be ok, Last season I was all for Lewis winning the championship but listening to Massa weep on the radio my heart really went out to him. He took tha with such grace and genuinly seems to be a top bloke. Also he has a kiddy on the way, so with a 1 kilo spring hitting him at a combined impact of 250mph we must all be thank full he has his life and time to enjoy his times ahead.

I am far from an expert but the damage to his eye looks to have finnished his career as a racer but he seems smart and popular enough to have a future behind the scenes........
Who you tryin' to get crazy with ese? Don't you know i'm LOCO?
damo1583
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby SE13 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:25 pm

A lot of credit has to go to that helmet which has certainly saved his life.

I'm just trying to give an image to others...... If you hurl a bag of sugar at someone, it'll impact at about 50mph, this spring weighed the same, but was solid, and it was an impact speed of about 250mph......

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Gunflash » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:51 pm

I hope Massa can make a full recovery and return to the cockpit, although I fear the worst. Last season he finally showed his potential (whilst his world champion team-mate screwed up), especially in Brazil, not just winning in wet conditions (where he used to struggle) but also the dignity with which he took his defeat. Come on Felipe!
There's David O'Leary and big Willie Young, sending Rixy and Stapleton off on a run
Gunflash
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Gunner Down Under » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:08 am

damo1583 wrote:It is looking likely that he will be ok...........

But it is pretty certain his career is over.......

Bit of a unfortunate waste though

His career had a long way to go

Another Ferrari loss
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby meridamullet » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:11 am

Cheese wrote:Really hope he gets to race again. Massa was always the "nice guy" of the paddock and it would be a great shame if he can not race again.

Schumacher is on the list to replace Massa for the rest of the season if need be. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motors ... eturn.html

:clap:
meridamullet
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby ozgooner » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:47 am

SE13 wrote:Good grief! First time I have seen that footage.

Ouch, just ouch!

Good luck to him for a speedy recovery.

and the innapropriate use of a pun award for the week goes to ..............

"I started clapping myself , until i realised i was Sunderlands manager" - Peter Reid admires a Dennis Bergkamp finish
ozgooner
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby meridamullet » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:57 am

meridamullet wrote:
Cheese wrote:Really hope he gets to race again. Massa was always the "nice guy" of the paddock and it would be a great shame if he can not race again.

:clap:

I didn't mean to applaud this, dunno what happened :dontknow:

damo1583 wrote:I really hope Massa will be ok, Last season I was all for Lewis winning the championship but listening to Massa weep on the radio my heart really went out to him. He took tha with such grace and genuinly seems to be a top bloke. Also he has a kiddy on the way, so with a 1 kilo spring hitting him at a combined impact of 250mph we must all be thank full he has his life and time to enjoy his times ahead.

I am far from an expert but the damage to his eye looks to have finnished his career as a racer but he seems smart and popular enough to have a future behind the scenes........

This is what i clicked quote on :clap:
meridamullet
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Previous

Return to Motor Sport