Ferrari quit f1

Re: Ferrari quit f1

Postby Cheese » Tue May 12, 2009 7:58 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:
Fabrestuta wrote:
Cheese wrote:No team is bigger than F1... bye bye Ferrari.

I think you underestimate Ferraris appeal around the world.

Yes but it will not kill off formula one, not even close.

The Spanish love their Alonso

The Germans love the monopoly they have on the Grid with Vettel, Rosberg, Glock and Heidfeld as well as BMW and Mercedes engines.

The Brits love their constructors as well as Hamilton and Button

The Asian market just love the sport

The French love their Renault, so much so that i hear the government want the next driver to be French if Piquet goes regardless if there is a better driver out there.

Then we have the Italians, yes they will suffer as they love their ferrari. The sad thing is that they never seem to talk about or cheer on Trulli or Fisichella. It is all Ferrari ferrari friggin glory hunters.

Either way yes the Italian market for the sport will be crippled and some fans around the world will lose interest or not care as much but overall there are enough fans (as listed above) to keep this sport going.

You are also forgetting that Aston Martin (in the form of pro drive) are on the verge of entering next year. Lola look to be coming back and USGP are almost certainly in next year bringing the American market in. The Sport is expanding as well as diminishing, i think it will survive just fine.

Saying all this while i agree completely with a wage cap i completely disagree with the two tier plan, that is shit. Who even really remembers that Jonathan Palmer (i think it was) won the naturally aspirated championship in 1987? No diss to him but history does not really remember those two years, lets not do that again.

What Rev said.
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Reverend Gooner » Tue May 12, 2009 8:02 pm

What will threaten to kill f1 is if toyota, red bull and BMW follow ferrari's lead. I hope that doesn't happen.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Fabrestuta » Tue May 12, 2009 8:03 pm

As I said in my earlier post I don't think for one minute it will kill formula 1, but if Ferrari leave there is no doubt it will have an effect on its global appeal.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Reverend Gooner » Tue May 12, 2009 8:09 pm

Of course, there is no doubting that but viewing figures are at the highest they have been for ages, i honestly don't think they would lose too many.

Plus with Ferrari gone their drivers and staff will go, hopefully to make other teams better. Although i bet noone will want their strategists or pit crew :)

Ferrari will be back anyway. They base most of their advertising campaign around formula 1, they will be hit hardest first and then a compromise will be made for their return.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Fabrestuta » Tue May 12, 2009 8:11 pm

Heh well maybe Ferrari will come back if McLaren stop nicking their designs.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Reverend Gooner » Tue May 12, 2009 8:15 pm

You know i was thinking about McLaren, they are being very hush despite spending more than ferrari. I reckon that they won't dare go against the FIA again so they are staying out of this one. They are probably very unhappy behind closed doors.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Fabrestuta » Tue May 12, 2009 8:18 pm

Good point. McLaren are already treading on thin ice and it would be VERY unwise to piss off the powers that be so soon after scandal after scandal.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby rogerthornhill » Tue May 12, 2009 9:00 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:The Brits love their constructors as well as Hamilton and Button

All the anti-Ferrari posters here, you seem to epitomise many British followers of F1. Namely you don't care who wins just as long as they are British. Last year you were cheering for Hamilton, this year he is down the field but Button is winning so, Hey Presto, you are cheering for Button.

I have been a Ferrari fan since the 60s, I don't change my allegiance to fit in with whoever is winning. I couldn't care less about the nationality of the drivers who drive for Ferrari but for many British F1 fans nationality seems to be the only thing that matters.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Reverend Gooner » Tue May 12, 2009 9:26 pm

You know i am just going to assume you are a bit worked up or something or maybe you just don't get the point i was making and the context of that post.

First of all i am not the epitomise of British followers in the way you mean. I am a neutral supporter this year, previously i was a Honda fan as i stated many times, a Japanese team as it goes. This year while i am fond of Brawn being mainly the old Honda team, i don't support them as my main allegiance is to Honda. I don't like ferrari, yes and maybe me wanting Hamilton to win last year looks to you like i just go for Brits when truthfully if it was Hamilton vs Kubica last year, i wouldn't have cared.
I am neutral this year (well apart from not wanting ferrari to do well), i couldn't care less if it was Brawn or Toyota, Button or Vettel up front i just want to enjoy the sport.

To accuse me of being a glory hunter is well off the mark. It's funny i made the same statement for Spain, Germany and France and you only picked out the British to attack me with. My point was that there is enough allegiance across Europe to national teams and national drivers and also neutral fans to keep the interest in f1 up, that is what the conversation was about. My point was that there would still be alot of interest.

I personally don't care about nationality the same as you, but i would also point out not to attack the British if they do when we so blatantly saw how much the Spanish loved Alonso at the weekend and also how much the Italians love Ferrari and how much the Germans love Schumacher, Vettel, etc. We all do it.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby rogerthornhill » Tue May 12, 2009 10:34 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:You know i am just going to assume you are a bit worked up or something

I can assure you that I'm not worked up, if I were to get worked up then I would need a much better reason than F1.

Although I highlighted the part of your post that mentioned the British my criticism would be the same whichever country was involved. When it comes to sporting allegiances I'm not going to let national chauvinism be my main criteria and I'm very glad to hear that it's the same for you.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Libertine » Wed May 13, 2009 11:41 am

First of all let me state that i know less than nothing about F1, so maybe i'm missing something here.....

But doesn't it make perfect sense for the British F1 fans to support the British F1 drivers, whoever they're driving for?
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Fordy » Wed May 13, 2009 11:46 am

Libertine wrote:First of all let me state that i know less than nothing about F1, so maybe i'm missing something here.....

But doesn't it make perfect sense for the British F1 fans to support the British F1 drivers, whoever they're driving for?

thats what i do mate apart from hamilton i dont like him lol but id still rather he won than most of them
Fordy

Postby rogerthornhill » Wed May 13, 2009 6:32 pm

This is becoming reminiscent of Kris's recruitment drive in The Magnificent Seven.

Renault are the latest high-profile team threatening to quit Formula 1 unless proposals to adopt a £40m budget cap in 2010 are shelved.

On Tuesday, Ferrari joined Toyota and Red Bull in declaring their intention to pull out of F1 because of the plans.

And Renault boss Flavio Briatore said: "If the decisions are not revised, we have no choice but to withdraw from the world championship at the end of 2009."

Ferrari, meanwhile, say they will race in other series if they quit the sport.

"If it really was like that, then I have to say that our cars will race in other competitions, where - and I am absolutely convinced about that - they will find the enthusiasm and the passion of millions of fans," said Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo.

"Racing is part of Ferrari's DNA and this is something that will never change."

Ferrari quit threat serious - Legard
Reports have speculated that the Italian team might set up a rival series, compete in the United States, or enter cars in the Le Mans 24 hour race.

And Ferrari driver Felipe Massa insists the team would make a success of a change of series, saying: "Since I was a child, Ferrari has been the synonym for racing for me.

"That's why I'm convinced that even if the Scuderia is forced to leave F1, there will be other competitions where it will be possible to admire the Reds on the track.

"I understand why the company has got to this point. The idea of having a championship with two velocities, with cars, which for example are allowed to have flexible wings or an engine without a rev limiter, is absurd."

The FIA, the sport's governing body, want an optional £40m budget cap in order to encourage new teams to enter.

The plan would allow capped teams to operate with far greater technical freedom than those continuing with unlimited budgets.

ANDREW BENSON BLOG
Usually, the way these things play out is predictable... but this time it might be different.

However, big teams fear the rules will effectively split F1 into two tiers, those that can live with the cap and enjoy the technical advantages and those that cannot.

It is understood a flexible rear wing alone, currently outlawed but available to a team next season working within the cap, could lead to a car being two seconds per lap quicker than those without.

"Renault has always considered Formula One as the pinnacle of motor sport and the perfect stage to demonstrate technical excellence," Renault F1 team president Bernard Rey said in a statement. "We remain committed to the sport.

"However, we cannot be involved in a championship operating with different sets of rules and, if such rules are put into effect, we will be forced to pull out at the end of this season."

The FIA refused to be drawn into a public discussion following Ferrari's threat to quit the sport.

Renault believes it is paramount that the governance of the sport is co-ordinated with a spirit of consultation with all parties in order to achieve a better balance between the costs and the revenues

Renault statement
"We have nothing to add to the letter sent to Ferrari on 29 April," said an FIA spokesman, referring to a letter sent to Montezemolo in which FIA president Max Mosley rejected the team's complaints about the budget cap.

However, it is thought the teams will discuss the plans with Mosley in London on Friday.

And sure to also be on the agenda is the teams' apparent unhappiness at what they see as the FIA's failure to discuss the rule changes with all the teams.

The Renault statement continued: "There is frustration FOTA's (Formula One Teams' Association) constructive proposals, including major cost-saving measures to be adopted progressively between 2009 and 2012, which were carefully constructed by FOTA members, have been completely ignored without any form of consultation by the FIA with the teams.

"It should be stressed that Fota has set the same, if not lower, financial objective as the FIA but Renault strongly believes that this must be introduced through a different procedure agreed by all parties.

"Renault also believes it is paramount that the governance of the sport is co-ordinated with a spirit of consultation with all parties in order to achieve a better balance between the costs and the revenues.

"Renault is also of the firm view that all entrants in the world championship must adhere to and operate under the same regulations."

BBC F1 correspondent David Croft reports that Renault's announcement underlines the unhappiness felt by the teams surrounding the proposal.

"Whilst not on the scale of the Ferrari announcement yesterday, this is another indication of just how deep the dissatisfaction runs currently within the F1 teams - not just of the proposals but the way they've been introduced," he said.

"The entries for next season open on 22 May and lasts for seven days - as it stands, Renault, Ferrari, Red Bull and Toyota could all be missing when the season begins next March."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 048112.stm
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Cheese » Wed May 20, 2009 9:29 pm

© BBC Sport | Formula 1
Ferrari have failed in their bid to stop Formula 1's governing body introducing controversial new rules that limit team spending.

Their appeal against the FIA, which wants to bring in an optional £40m budget cap from 2010, was dismissed by a French court in Paris on Wednesday.

The FIA proposal prompted Ferrari to threaten to quit F1, with Renault, Red Bull and Toyota holding a similar view.

Ferrari are now considering taking legal action in the civil courts.

The Italian team also insist they will carry on working with other F1 teams to find a solution to a crisis that is escalating ahead of the official deadline for entries into the 2010 world championship on 29 May.

It would be nice to have more sport and less politics. It's difficult comment but many things are not over yet But, in a statement issued following the Tribunal de Grande Instance's decision, they again said that they are prepared to leave the sport.

"If it is not possible for all parties to reach agreement, then... Ferrari will not enter its cars in a competition that, with the planned scenario in place, would see a watering down of the characteristics that have endowed F1 with the status of the most important motor sport series."

The FIA's regulations for 2010 propose giving teams who accept the cap greater technical freedom than those wishing to carry on with unlimited budgets, such as Ferrari.

It says it wants to introduce the move in order to cut costs and ensure F1's survival amid the global financial crisis - along with encouraging new teams to enter the sport.

Ferrari say the optional budget cap would make it a two-tier championship, which they cannot accept, and that they do not believe it is possible to control.

They also say they believe it is wrong that a team accepting the budget cap has more freedom and different technical regulations, and that - with 700 employees worldwide - they are unable to reduce its finances significantly in such a short time.

Reacting to the rejection of the court injunction on Wednesday, FIA president Max Mosley said he welcomed the court's decision.

"No competitor should place their own interests above those of the sport in which they compete," he said.

"The FIA, the teams and our commercial partners will now continue to work together to ensure the well being of the Formula 1 in 2010 and beyond."

All 10 team owners had met with F1 commercial rights holder Bernie Ecclestone and Mosley in London on Tuesday and, though it was agreed a two-tier championship was not acceptable, Mosley insisted there would be "no compromise" on the cap.

Having failed to emerge with a concrete solution then, team bosses are now set to meet in Monaco ahead of this weekend's Grand Prix where they will again hold discussions with Mosley.

"You're seeing many teams trying to get into F1 next year, but if you lose Ferrari and gain new teams it won't be the same," said team driver Felipe Massa following Wednesday's appeal rejection.

"I'm a Ferrari driver and I'm very proud of that.

"The way the championship has started is very different [this year]. We've had a lot of political fighting and this does not help the sport.

"It would be nice to have more sport and less politics. It's difficult comment but many things are not over yet."

On Tuesday, Mosley said he believed that submitting the injunction was a sign Ferrari do not want to go through with their threat to quit the sport.

Before the decision was announced on Wednesday, the Italian team issued a statement on its official website referring to some of those who might take part in the 2010 championship if a budget cap was introduced.

"Wirth Research, Lola, USF1, Epsilon Euskadi, RML, Formtech, Campos, iSport: these are the names of the teams which would compete in the two-tier Formula One wanted by Mosley," it read.

"Can a world championship with teams like them - with due respect - have the same value as today's Formula One, where Ferrari, the big car manufacturers and teams, who created the history of this sport, compete?

"Wouldn't it be more appropriate to call it Formula GP3?"

I hope they stand by their word and f**k off! Bye bye.
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby rogerthornhill » Wed May 20, 2009 9:52 pm

I hope that Ferrari do quit F1, they can then compete in other events and tell those dickheads at the FIA to get lost, F1 isn't the only game in town. There is little point in them competing in a sport where they aren't allowed to build the car that they want to build, they aren't allowed to spend the money that they have and the whole sport is shackled by artificial restraints designed to drag the leading teams back to the also-rans. Ferrari are much too good for this incarnation of F1 which is fast becoming the craphouse of international sport.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Previous

Return to Motor Sport