Formula 1 season 2021 chat thread

Re: Formula 1 season 2021 chat thread

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:13 pm

Goonerred wrote:I didn't watch the race but it sounds like a whole lot of cheating went on. I don't blame Mercedes for contesting the decision.

I don't think there was any cheating - just a case of the race director panicking or being pressured to create a TV spectacle. The rules were certainly not followed.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Nuggets » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:13 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Nuggets wrote:Max Verstappen wins title after last-lap overtake of Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes protests rejected :1990_dancing.gif: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Glad that t***er Hamilton lost.

lol… a bit late with the update… did your carrier pigeon get delayed???
:lol:

Sadly he hurt his wing so had to walk with the news, never mind as long as that little t00sser didn't win. :arse fan:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Goonerred » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:15 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Goonerred wrote:I didn't watch the race but it sounds like a whole lot of cheating went on. I don't blame Mercedes for contesting the decision.

I don't think there was any cheating - just a case of the race director panicking or being pressured to create a TV spectacle. The rules were certainly not followed.

ergo - cheating!
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby Santi » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:40 pm

Rockape wrote:Telegraph:

You can always tell when an argument has been lost. The goalposts are simply uprooted and we see the debating equivalent of playing the man but not the ball.

And so we come to the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix where, almost 24 hours after the most outrageously manufactured ending imaginable, most of those in favour of Max Verstappen’s world title win are still not attempting to explain or defend the decisive intervention of race director Michael Masi.

Refuge has instead been taken in a series of utterly irrelevant observations. Like how Verstappen had lit up this year’s Formula One world championship. Or how he had won more races earlier in the season. Or how it was just about time that someone ended Lewis Hamilton’s dominance of his sport. Or, indeed, the repeated claim that Red Bull had somehow “deserved” some luck.

Some of this might be true but it has absolutely nothing to do with how, from Hamilton leading by a comfortable 12 seconds with six laps remaining (even after being disadvantaged by one earlier safety car), he was suddenly presented with a rival directly in his wing-mirror on a third set of newer, faster tyres.

It was like interrupting the Olympic marathon just as Eliud Kipchoge was entering the stadium with a two-minute lead and telling him with a straight face to wait for his nearest competitor, let that rival change into some track spikes and then have the gold medal decided by a 100m sprint.

Good television? Maybe. But fair? Just? Not in the slightest.

All these comparisons are doing my head in lol, they’re all atrocious.

Max was already right behind him on time, maybe 2 secs because of the 4 cars in the way, so the 12 sec advantage means f**k all and that’s nothing to do with any decision...it happens when cars crash like Latifi did.

The only cause for debate is letting the cars between max and Lewis through, I get it and the argument is fair but it’s done and it’s over. Max won, challenging it is beyond embarrassing but I think they want clarification in the rules rather than the result overturned.

It’s actually annoying having all this fuss rather than celebrating Max’s win, the lad has done great and toppled the guy with the most wins in history...something to be proud of.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:11 pm

Santi wrote:

You can always tell when an argument has been lost. The goalposts are simply uprooted and we see the debating equivalent of playing the man but not the ball.

And so we come to the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix where, almost 24 hours after the most outrageously manufactured ending imaginable, most of those in favour of Max Verstappen’s world title win are still not attempting to explain or defend the decisive intervention of race director Michael Masi.

Refuge has instead been taken in a series of utterly irrelevant observations. Like how Verstappen had lit up this year’s Formula One world championship. Or how he had won more races earlier in the season. Or how it was just about time that someone ended Lewis Hamilton’s dominance of his sport. Or, indeed, the repeated claim that Red Bull had somehow “deserved” some luck.

Some of this might be true but it has absolutely nothing to do with how, from Hamilton leading by a comfortable 12 seconds with six laps remaining (even after being disadvantaged by one earlier safety car), he was suddenly presented with a rival directly in his wing-mirror on a third set of newer, faster tyres.

It was like interrupting the Olympic marathon just as Eliud Kipchoge was entering the stadium with a two-minute lead and telling him with a straight face to wait for his nearest competitor, let that rival change into some track spikes and then have the gold medal decided by a 100m sprint.

All these comparisons are doing my head in lol, they’re all atrocious.

Max was already right behind him on time, maybe 2 secs because of the 4 cars in the way, so the 12 sec advantage means f**k all and that’s nothing to do with any decision...it happens when cars crash like Latifi did.

The only cause for debate is letting the cars between max and Lewis through, I get it and the argument is fair but it’s done and it’s over. Max won, challenging it is beyond embarrassing but I think they want clarification in the rules rather than the result overturned.

It’s actually annoying having all this fuss rather than celebrating Max’s win, the lad has done great and toppled the guy with the most wins in history...something to be proud of.

Yes, It's possible that Verstappen could have got past the 5 back markers and still caught Hamilton, but it's doubtful.
Would have liked to have seen that.

I agree, however, that all the challenges are stupid.
There is another one now being taken higher up.
:crybaby:
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Rockape » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:39 pm

There could have been a lot of scenarios for us agree that Max won and that we should be proud of it.....but sadly yesterdays events weren't one of them! Its actually a shame for Max, because he won't want to have won it like that, he'd have wanted to win it on merit.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby VCC » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:30 pm

Did Lewis not go off track and short cut to be infront early in the race, end of race decision was not red bull to make, if there was any cheating from competitors it was hamilton
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:54 pm

Pretty much.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby #ST » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:39 am

About a year ago my wife told me 'babe babe you gotta watch this with me, there is a documentary about Formule 1 on Netflix its really fun!'
So I gave it a shot, this show called 'Drive to Survive' and what the show did for me it showed me the background of these guys and how they live these races and in turn this made me APPRECIATE the races.

So my wife and I decided at the beginning of this season; alright we are going to watch this season from race 1 to the last. And we did. We didnt miss any race. Sometimes I had to work during the race but those days we watched the extensive highlights later that day.

I am Turkish born and raised in the Netherlands so I was rooting for Max. I didnt like the way Hamilton tried to influence the decision making by 'whining' during the season and some decisions, even for me a very 'green' formule 1 fan, was beyond logic. Way too harsh for Max and way too soft for Hamilton.

I know its a bit of an obvious statement to make but FIA is just very very inconsistent. I thought the refs in football were poor but the FIA is making them look amazingly consistent.

Fast forward to the final race. Race starts. Hamilton has a GOAT start and takes the lead. Verstappen is struggling to follow, we come to the big talking point; the turn where Hamilton quite blatantly took a shortcut.

Please tell me even the diehard Hamilton fans out here cant think that was fair? If Hamilton has no space to pass Verstappen THEN HE HAS TO YIELD. That was Max' corner. It was his. Period. Hamilton had no space left instead of yielding he just takes a shortcut. And then he doesnt have to give it back? When Max had to the race before?

Dont get me wrong, Hamilton was dominating this race. Even if he had to give it back, odds are he wouldve passed Max at a later moment, but thats not certain. Whats certain is that Hamilton kept his position by taking a shortcut and going off track. And he was allowed to keep it.

Then the fight between Checo and Hamilton. Checo kept it SO clean, aggresive, sure, but CLEAN. He did everything to keep Hamilton behind him, AS HE SHOULD, when you are racing for the number 1 position. And there goes Hamilton 'thats some dangerous driving man' trying to influence the refs once again. That shit is annoying. There was seriously nothing wrong with that.

Now the crash happens and, rightly so, a safety car comes. Toto is whining saying there shouldnt be a safety car, he decides to gamble and STAY ON OLD TIRES. This was a bad call, sure, its in hindsight, but knowing how it it all panned out, it was simply a bad call.

What happened after this was a simple robbery.

I respect Hamilton for his skills, he is an amazing driver and even though during the season alot of BS happened and I dont think it shouldve even been decided in this race ( taking out Verstappen in England then getting a few seconds time penalty LOL thats funny so if the FIA was fair Max wouldve won the championship BEFORE this final race even took place.) All of that isnt relevant at this point in time. The rules were simply changed on the fly so we could 'have a race' . So we didnt finish under safety car. This race was Hamiltons all day long and he got robbed by Michael Masi.

So I understand the outrage. I dont think any Max fan can deny that was a huge steal and even unfair.

I do think most of us happy with Max winning are adding up all the BS and then saying ; Red Bull got dealt way more BS so the end result is fair.

Doesnt change the fact Hamilton got robbed this race though.
Wembley:
Community Shield @6-8-'23 = 1*-1 Manchester City

Emirates Stadium:
First game @10-9-'11 = 1 - 0 Swansea
Most memorable game @24-2-'22 = 2 - 1 Wolves
Last game @09-03-'24 = 2 - 1 Brentford
Next game @03-04-'24 = VS Luton [ Block 121 - Seat 847 ]
#ST
Predictions League 2019-20, 2021-22 Winner

Postby Santi » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:22 am

#ST wrote:About a year ago my wife told me 'babe babe you gotta watch this with me, there is a documentary about Formule 1 on Netflix its really fun!'
So I gave it a shot, this show called 'Drive to Survive' and what the show did for me it showed me the background of these guys and how they live these races and in turn this made me APPRECIATE the races.

So my wife and I decided at the beginning of this season; alright we are going to watch this season from race 1 to the last. And we did. We didnt miss any race. Sometimes I had to work during the race but those days we watched the extensive highlights later that day.

I am Turkish born and raised in the Netherlands so I was rooting for Max. I didnt like the way Hamilton tried to influence the decision making by 'whining' during the season and some decisions, even for me a very 'green' formule 1 fan, was beyond logic. Way too harsh for Max and way too soft for Hamilton.

I know its a bit of an obvious statement to make but FIA is just very very inconsistent. I thought the refs in football were poor but the FIA is making them look amazingly consistent.

Fast forward to the final race. Race starts. Hamilton has a GOAT start and takes the lead. Verstappen is struggling to follow, we come to the big talking point; the turn where Hamilton quite blatantly took a shortcut.

Please tell me even the diehard Hamilton fans out here cant think that was fair? If Hamilton has no space to pass Verstappen THEN HE HAS TO YIELD. That was Max' corner. It was his. Period. Hamilton had no space left instead of yielding he just takes a shortcut. And then he doesnt have to give it back? When Max had to the race before?

Dont get me wrong, Hamilton was dominating this race. Even if he had to give it back, odds are he wouldve passed Max at a later moment, but thats not certain. Whats certain is that Hamilton kept his position by taking a shortcut and going off track. And he was allowed to keep it.

Then the fight between Checo and Hamilton. Checo kept it SO clean, aggresive, sure, but CLEAN. He did everything to keep Hamilton behind him, AS HE SHOULD, when you are racing for the number 1 position. And there goes Hamilton 'thats some dangerous driving man' trying to influence the refs once again. That shit is annoying. There was seriously nothing wrong with that.

Now the crash happens and, rightly so, a safety car comes. Toto is whining saying there shouldnt be a safety car, he decides to gamble and STAY ON OLD TIRES. This was a bad call, sure, its in hindsight, but knowing how it it all panned out, it was simply a bad call.

I respect Hamilton for his skills, he is an amazing driver and even though during the season alot of BS happened and I dont think it shouldve even been decided in this race ( taking out Verstappen in England then getting a few seconds time penalty LOL thats funny so if the FIA was fair Max wouldve won the championship BEFORE this final race even took place.) All of that isnt relevant at this point in time. The rules were simply changed on the fly so we could 'have a race' . So we didnt finish under safety car. This race was Hamiltons all day long and he got robbed by Michael Masi.

So I understand the outrage. I dont think any Max fan can deny that was a huge steal and even unfair.

I do think most of us happy with Max winning are adding up all the BS and then saying ; Red Bull got dealt way more BS so the end result is fair.

Welcome to the sport brother, glad you chose this season to start watching :lol:

Agree completely with your comments and I'm glad to see how much you've gotten into F1 so quickly :)

This is the key for me having watched the whole season. I think Max would've won it 4/5 races ago had he not been screwed back to back races in the summer so I'm glad it worked out in his favour in the end.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby #ST » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:06 pm

Santi wrote:
#ST wrote:About a year ago my wife told me 'babe babe you gotta watch this with me, there is a documentary about Formule 1 on Netflix its really fun!'

Welcome to the sport brother, glad you chose this season to start watching :lol:

Agree completely with your comments and I'm glad to see how much you've gotten into F1 so quickly :)

This is the key for me having watched the whole season. I think Max would've won it 4/5 races ago had he not been screwed back to back races in the summer so I'm glad it worked out in his favour in the end.

CHECO IS A LEGEND

I love that quote! A legend he is. Amazing stuff he did on old worn out tires stalling Hamilton so long.

Yeah I have a close friend who is VERY much into F1 so whenever i was there to watch Arsenal together he sometimes had both games on ( one on PC one on telly, obviously I always demanded telly for Arsenal lol ) so I DID see it here and there but following it up close like I did this season really made me appreciate the sport.

A hell of a season to start watching lol!
Wembley:
Community Shield @6-8-'23 = 1*-1 Manchester City

Emirates Stadium:
First game @10-9-'11 = 1 - 0 Swansea
Most memorable game @24-2-'22 = 2 - 1 Wolves
Last game @09-03-'24 = 2 - 1 Brentford
Next game @03-04-'24 = VS Luton [ Block 121 - Seat 847 ]
#ST

Postby Goonerred » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:07 pm

I only started watching F1 because of Hamilton, I stopped watching it because of Hamilton. I couldn't cope with him getting on his high horse about everything. He was banging on about climate change once, yet he is one of the worst sports for causing climate change.
Goonerred

Postby StockGooner » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:44 pm

Firstly, fair post #ST and good to have another couple of fans

#ST wrote:Fast forward to the final race. Race starts. Hamilton has a GOAT start and takes the lead. Verstappen is struggling to follow, we come to the big talking point; the turn where Hamilton quite blatantly took a shortcut.

On this bit, I was surprised as well. I don't think he gave back any time, even if the FIA said he did. So no I don't think it was fair. I will say Max was the aggressor and there was no way with his speed he was making the corner and giving enough room. His entry speed being so fast made the corner his, it wasn't racing craft that did it. In both last week and this Max had the inside so it was down to Lewis to avoid. Should he have given the place back? Maybe. Should he of slowed down more? For sure

#ST wrote:Then the fight between Checo and Hamilton. Checo kept it SO clean, aggresive, sure, but CLEAN. He did everything to keep Hamilton behind him, AS HE SHOULD, when you are racing for the number 1 position. And there goes Hamilton 'thats some dangerous driving man' trying to influence the refs once again. That shit is annoying. There was seriously nothing wrong with that.

Noting wrong. Great battle and exactly what a teammate should do. This is the first time Max has had a teammate do this, whereas Bottas fluffed his lines for Hamilton. Yeh Hamilton was moaning, and yeh it's a bit annoying to be honest, and I think that comes from the teams downwards. Toto, Horner, they are terrible. They only one that isn't too bad is Max

#ST wrote:Now the crash happens and, rightly so, a safety car comes. Toto is whining saying there shouldnt be a safety car, he decides to gamble and STAY ON OLD TIRES. This was a bad call, sure, its in hindsight, but knowing how it it all panned out, it was simply a bad call.

Mercedes made the wrong call during the VSC. They would have easily passed Max on mediums or hards on track and been in a better place for the SC later. Again, both team principals moaning to Masi shouldn't be allowed. It's so damning on the sport

#ST wrote:I respect Hamilton for his skills, he is an amazing driver and even though during the season alot of BS happened and I dont think it shouldve even been decided in this race ( taking out Verstappen in England then getting a few seconds time penalty LOL thats funny so if the FIA was fair Max wouldve won the championship BEFORE this final race even took place.) All of that isnt relevant at this point in time. The rules were simply changed on the fly so we could 'have a race' . So we didnt finish under safety car. This race was Hamiltons all day long and he got robbed by Michael Masi.

Max won in every statistic in theory so deserved the title. It isn't always that simple. For example he led twice as many laps as Hamilton, but that's like saying Messi walks 80% of the game but is still just incredible during the other 20%. Lewis in theory led when it mattered most. However....

Max was more hard done to than Lewis this year. Baku not his fault, Hungary not his fault.

Silverstone and Monza are really tough. Max is still a super aggressive driver (Not a bad thing). Hamilton's Silverstone move was really risky, and the speed didn't help matters, but would Max have made the same move? Yes he would have if roles were reversed as in championship lead and their positions on track. Would Lewis have backed out? Yes, possibly because if he had a championship lead he knows a 7 point loss is worth staying in the race for.

Monza was all on Max I think. Lewis had the lead (Of the two of them) and the corner was his. Max made a lunge around the outside and upon realising he wasnt going to make it, should have backed out.

I'm gutted for Lewis, as a fan. But I'm pleased for Max, as I do think he and Red Bull deserve it. They've had an average car down the years and Max deserved a good one. They've equally had a poor 2nd driver and whilst he's been inconsistent at times, Checo came up trumps when it mattered. The moaning is not good for the sport and needs to stop, and the way in which the last race was decided leaves a sour taste for all, but Max at the end of the day deserves his title
StockGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby swipe right » Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:49 am

Let me summarize the situation for you’ll. Rich guys driving around in fast cars are discovering that life isn’t always fair.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Nuggets » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:44 am

swipe right wrote:Let me summarize the situation for you’ll. Rich guys driving around in fast cars are discovering that life isn’t always fair.

:rofll: :clap: :clap:
Nuggets

PreviousNext

Return to Motor Sport