Re: Formula 1 season 2021 chat thread

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:41 pm

I wonder if Hamilton will get to 10?
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:42 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:I wonder if Hamilton will get to 10?

I very much doubt it - but if he gets to 8 he'll be confirmed as the GOAT...which many would say he already is.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Santi » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:48 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Santi wrote:05-06 = GOAT

Well come on now, Hamilton and Schumacher stand alone as the greats in terms of achievement... then there is the argument of who was the greatest driver. My vote would go to Senna.
Then in terms of favourite, mine will always be Mario Andretti. I hade the Lotus toy truck and 2 race cars as a kid and pretty much took the thing with me wherever I went LOL.

Yeah if you look at who sat in the best car for the longest and racked up the most wins then of course they are miles ahead of the rest.

In terms of pure driving skill I wouldn't have either in the top 2 tbh. Schumi would maybe be third behind Alonso and Senna but a few others such as Lauda and Prost that would have a case to argue.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Wenger's Coat » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:53 pm

Wouldn’t be surprised if this goes to CAS now. Unfortunately.

Congrats to Max. He is entitled to enjoy his win. It’s good to have things mixed up a little bit. Still hope Lewis gets the 8th before he retires.

But I have to say I am perplexed by the logic of the decision on the day. It seems to be the equivalent of a referee in the 90th minute awarding three goals in favour of a team that was 3:0 down and then also giving them a penalty, which they duly convert seconds before the whistle blows. Quite how this amounts to “letting them race”, I don’t follow.

I’ll admit I’m no F1 connoisseur, but I suspect this will be equally puzzling for many casual viewers. Which is a problem for F1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Wenger's Coat
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:53 pm

Santi wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Santi wrote:05-06 = GOAT

Well come on now, Hamilton and Schumacher stand alone as the greats in terms of achievement... then there is the argument of who was the greatest driver. My vote would go to Senna.
Then in terms of favourite, mine will always be Mario Andretti. I hade the Lotus toy truck and 2 race cars as a kid and pretty much took the thing with me wherever I went LOL.

Yeah if you look at who sat in the best car for the longest and racked up the most wins then of course they are miles ahead of the rest.

In terms of pure driving skill I wouldn't have either in the top 2 tbh. Schumi would maybe be third behind Alonso and Senna but a few others such as Lauda and Prost that would have a case to argue.

Mario Andretti is the best driver ever :cheerleader:
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Santi » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:56 pm

Too old for my blood but I'll take your word for it ;)
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:57 pm

If Mercedes pursue this to the CAS it will turn even more people off the sport.

Red Bull and Verstappen winning today is the best thing that's happened to Formula 1 in years.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Rockape » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:29 pm

Phil71 wrote:If Mercedes pursue this to the CAS it will turn even more people off the sport.

Red Bull and Verstappen winning today is the best thing that's happened to Formula 1 in years.

Only if he’d won, rather than have it presented to him when he was losing. It’s a farce!
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Ach » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:10 am

Reiss wrote:Can someone explain to a non-formula 1 person what happened today? It's bloody everywhere.

Far too confusing

Tried to read about it. No idea what it means. What lapped cars or unlapped cars have to do with anything, no idea
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:52 am

Max Verstappen wins title after last-lap overtake of Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes protests rejected :1990_dancing.gif: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Glad that t***er Hamilton lost.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:57 am

Nuggets wrote:Max Verstappen wins title after last-lap overtake of Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes protests rejected :1990_dancing.gif: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Glad that t***er Hamilton lost.

lol… a bit late with the update… did your carrier pigeon get delayed???
:lol:
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby StockGooner » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:27 pm

Do we think that the decision was fuelled by Masi's decision not to penalise Hamilton on lap 1? I know Hamilton had the pace in the end, but there's no guarantee over whether Hamilton would have been faster following in the air, especially in that third sector where Max was immense

Sickener for Hamilton, I genuinely thought he looked devastated at the end, even if I do think he's a bit false sometimes

Happy for Max, I do wonder if now he's won one whether that will calm him down as a racer or he'll still be the same driver? Not saying I want him to calm, but just wonder
StockGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:57 pm

StockGooner wrote:Do we think that the decision was fuelled by Masi's decision not to penalise Hamilton on lap 1? I know Hamilton had the pace in the end, but there's no guarantee over whether Hamilton would have been faster following in the air, especially in that third sector where Max was immense

Sickener for Hamilton, I genuinely thought he looked devastated at the end, even if I do think he's a bit false sometimes

Happy for Max, I do wonder if now he's won one whether that will calm him down as a racer or he'll still be the same driver? Not saying I want him to calm, but just wonder

Verstappen's tyres went off quite quickly - he'd have been passed easily fairly on by Hamilton I think.
Hamilton was actually a good bit faster on the mediums than Verstappen was on the softs.

Not sure it would have been any different - Hamilton was quite easily the fastest on the day, it was going to take a miracle for Verstappen to win and it came. It happens.

I think the decision by Masi was farcical. To only let some of the cars through to create a 1 lap spectacle with one guy on old hard tyres and another on fresh softs. It's quite strange because the 3rd placed driver was not given the same opportunity to close right up to Verstappen and the 4th place etc.. There was no time to restart the race really so they made a quick decision to do what they did because they did not want to race to end under a safety car... IN truth, though, when it comes down to the sport, that would have been the right thing to do as in a sporting and racing sense Hamilton was far and away the best on the day.
That's one of the reasons I disliked Maui's comment to Toto Wolff that this is 'car racing'. Well, they had the car racing for nearly 50 laps and Hamilton had driven everyone else into the dust. Car racing is not 1 lap with vastly different tyre deg.

But, once the decision was made, it was a stupid decision by Mercedes to try and get the result over turned. It is what it is. Move on.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Rockape » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:58 pm

Telegraph:

You can always tell when an argument has been lost. The goalposts are simply uprooted and we see the debating equivalent of playing the man but not the ball.

And so we come to the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix where, almost 24 hours after the most outrageously manufactured ending imaginable, most of those in favour of Max Verstappen’s world title win are still not attempting to explain or defend the decisive intervention of race director Michael Masi.

Refuge has instead been taken in a series of utterly irrelevant observations. Like how Verstappen had lit up this year’s Formula One world championship. Or how he had won more races earlier in the season. Or how it was just about time that someone ended Lewis Hamilton’s dominance of his sport. Or, indeed, the repeated claim that Red Bull had somehow “deserved” some luck.

Some of this might be true but it has absolutely nothing to do with how, from Hamilton leading by a comfortable 12 seconds with six laps remaining (even after being disadvantaged by one earlier safety car), he was suddenly presented with a rival directly in his wing-mirror on a third set of newer, faster tyres.

It was like interrupting the Olympic marathon just as Eliud Kipchoge was entering the stadium with a two-minute lead and telling him with a straight face to wait for his nearest competitor, let that rival change into some track spikes and then have the gold medal decided by a 100m sprint.

Good television? Maybe. But fair? Just? Not in the slightest.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Goonerred » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:11 pm

I didn't watch the race but it sounds like a whole lot of cheating went on. I don't blame Mercedes for contesting the decision.
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

PreviousNext

Return to Motor Sport