Formula 1 season 2021 chat thread

Re: Formula 1 season 2021 chat thread

Postby dc16 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:55 pm

Verstappen gets 10secs and keeps his second place. Was deemed to be more at fault than Lewis.

It is set up beautifully for the final race.
dc16
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Jedi » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:13 am

Don't know who's at fault because I'm too casual but I'm just glad they made this decision. It would be a complete travesty to destroy the final race, especially for a sport as boring as F1 has been over the last few years.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Santi » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:35 am

FIA wanking off Lewis again, no surprise.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:55 am

Verstappens breaking was ‘ sudden , significant and erratic’ , just as Mercedes’ said and just as Hamilton said. Red Bull lied to everyone when they said they had telemetry to show otherwise.

Verstappen, the absolute lunatic, is very lucky to have not been banned from the next race or given a much stiffer penalty.
It was obvious what he did and the telemetry must have confirmed it.

The penalty he has been given is irrelevant … means nothing. It will only encourage Verstappen to think he can get away with more. When he kills someone the stewards will have to take some blame for not reigning him in.

The final race… Verstappen will simply take Hamilton off the track if it looks like he’s going to lose.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Rockape » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:31 am

The Stewards did what they could to show Max was at fault without ruining the final race.

You don’t wander around in the middle of the track to let someone pass, you move to one side. No surprise Lewis didn’t have a scooby what was going on.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Royal Gooner » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:39 am

dc16 wrote:Verstappen gets 10secs and keeps his second place. Was deemed to be more at fault than Lewis.

Stewards wimped out. Now it's only going to encourage Verstappen to continue his dangerous driving and try to cause a crash to take out Hamilton in the last race.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:26 am

The Stewards said that Verstappen "braked in a manner which caused a collision".

"The stewards heard from the driver of Car 33, the driver of Car 44 and team representatives, reviewed the video and telemetry evidence and determined that the driver of Car 33 was predominantly at fault," read their statement.

"At turn 21 the driver of Car 33 was given the instruction to give back a position to Car 44 and was told by the team to do so "strategically". Car 33 slowed significantly at turn 26. However, it was obvious that neither driver wanted to take the lead prior to DRS detection line 3. "The driver of car 33 stated that he was wondering why Car 44 had not overtaken and the driver of Car 44 stated that, not having been aware at that stages that Car 33 was giving the position back, was unaware of the reason Car 33 was slowing. In deciding to penalise the driver of Car 33, the key point for the stewards was that the driver of Car 33 then braked suddenly and significantly, resulting inn 2.4g deceleration.

"Whilst accepting that the driver of Car 44 could have overtaken Car 33 when that car first slowed, we understand why he (and the driver of Car 33) did not want to be the first to cross the DRS.

"However, the sudden breaking by the driver of Car 33 was determined by the Stewards to be erratic and hence the predominant cause of the collision and hence the standard penalty of 10 seconds for this type of incident, is imposed."
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:00 am

Royal Gooner wrote:
dc16 wrote:Verstappen gets 10secs and keeps his second place. Was deemed to be more at fault than Lewis.

Stewards wimped out. Now it's only going to encourage Verstappen to continue his dangerous driving and try to cause a crash to take out Hamilton in the last race.

Exactly this.
It's not the first time the stewards have given Verstappen a weak slap on the wrist which means nothing.
His driving is appalling - like I said before, it's clear he is willing to carry too much speed into corners to ever make the turn in order to block and/or take out opponents and now he's also slamming on his brakes on a high speed straight with a car behind him.
It really is a disgrace the way he has conducted himself this season.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:01 am

Dejan wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:Lewis confirmed it

:rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll:

The stewards and the telemetry confirmed exactly what Lewis said.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby StockGooner » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:37 am

There's a few different things here.

Firstly, that track was super exciting, but it was so dangerous. I actually watched most of FP1 and FP2 and as was commentated, the closing speeds around the track were insane. Whereas Monaco and Baku are streets, they are a lot slower, with Baku having one main straight that is extremely wide, with one open left hander leading to a smaller straight. In the race, with all cars going at speed, Jeddah was ok, but right up to the race I think it was unsafe. Surprised the teams didn't self impose a 1 car per team on track rule to at least limit the potential for a crash.

Secondly, Hamilton complaining about the red flag I would say is heat of the moment whinging. He knows it's the rules and luck of the draw but in the moment you do complain. Look at footballers when they get a yellow for a clear foul, they still complain. Sadly, it's annoying to us as fans, but adrenaline I think is to blame.

The avoision of a crash at turn 1, I think is Max's fault. He outbraked himself trying to defend from a faster car and probably ran Lewis off the track. Both have done it, although (And maybe yes bias, but I invite counters) I think Max does it more. In the past I think Lewis has given Max room and whilst it's never been an issue because the Merc has been so dominant he has always won the championship, this year is different. Imola this year, Max forced Lewis to back out and I think this was the turning point for Lewis where he realised he had a fight with Max for the title and he would have to get aggressive. At Monza Lewis forced Max to back out but Max didn't and they crashed, costing both points but probably Hamilton more as he had fresher tyres and was ahead of Max into the turn. At Brazil Max put Lewis wide at turn 4 with neither making the corner. This time at turn 1, Max goes too deep defending and Lewis avoids the crash, but crucially, makes it back to at least attempt turn 2 which I think is the only reaosn Max gets a penalty. In 2019 at Monaco, Lewis was defending all race from Max and Max had the faster car. He attempted an overtake with 2/3 laps to go at the chicane and Lewis semi defended but bailed out and cut the chicane. Max did the same. If he had at least attempted the chicane I think Lewis would have got the penalty to hand Max the win and I think this was on Lewis' mind at turn 1 yesterday. At least try and get back on track, thus giving Max a penalty.

Now, with the crash into the back. Blame goes to the FIA for not communicating with both teams in an efficient manner. They just said to RB and latterly to Merc what was going to happen. Turns out Lewis was getting told by his team that Max would give the place up, as the crash was happening. Merc could maybe have told Lewis sooner, but I think it's on the FIA. RB told Max to let him by, could Max have done it more obviously, like to the side of the track? Maybe a bit more than he did. RB were within their rihgts to do it strategically so no blame there. it just felt very unsafe for both drivers to do it how it was done. Max was taking the middle of the track. Lewis was probably too close to Max, but he didn't understand what was going on, but if you don't understand why follow so close? Max did brake though, not just slow down, he braked, which is very dangerous. All in all, I think the crash was down to a bad track for letting someone past, two rivals feeling the pressure, poor FIA communication, a perfect storm really.
StockGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Santi » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:04 pm

StockGooner wrote:There's a few different things here.

Firstly, that track was super exciting, but it was so dangerous. I actually watched most of FP1 and FP2 and as was commentated, the closing speeds around the track were insane. Whereas Monaco and Baku are streets, they are a lot slower, with Baku having one main straight that is extremely wide, with one open left hander leading to a smaller straight. In the race, with all cars going at speed, Jeddah was ok, but right up to the race I think it was unsafe. Surprised the teams didn't self impose a 1 car per team on track rule to at least limit the potential for a crash.

Secondly, Hamilton complaining about the red flag I would say is heat of the moment whinging. He knows it's the rules and luck of the draw but in the moment you do complain. Look at footballers when they get a yellow for a clear foul, they still complain. Sadly, it's annoying to us as fans, but adrenaline I think is to blame.

The avoision of a crash at turn 1, I think is Max's fault. He outbraked himself trying to defend from a faster car and probably ran Lewis off the track. Both have done it, although (And maybe yes bias, but I invite counters) I think Max does it more. In the past I think Lewis has given Max room and whilst it's never been an issue because the Merc has been so dominant he has always won the championship, this year is different. Imola this year, Max forced Lewis to back out and I think this was the turning point for Lewis where he realised he had a fight with Max for the title and he would have to get aggressive. At Monza Lewis forced Max to back out but Max didn't and they crashed, costing both points but probably Hamilton more as he had fresher tyres and was ahead of Max into the turn. At Brazil Max put Lewis wide at turn 4 with neither making the corner. This time at turn 1, Max goes too deep defending and Lewis avoids the crash, but crucially, makes it back to at least attempt turn 2 which I think is the only reaosn Max gets a penalty. In 2019 at Monaco, Lewis was defending all race from Max and Max had the faster car. He attempted an overtake with 2/3 laps to go at the chicane and Lewis semi defended but bailed out and cut the chicane. Max did the same. If he had at least attempted the chicane I think Lewis would have got the penalty to hand Max the win and I think this was on Lewis' mind at turn 1 yesterday. At least try and get back on track, thus giving Max a penalty.

Now, with the crash into the back. Blame goes to the FIA for not communicating with both teams in an efficient manner. They just said to RB and latterly to Merc what was going to happen. Turns out Lewis was getting told by his team that Max would give the place up, as the crash was happening. Merc could maybe have told Lewis sooner, but I think it's on the FIA. RB told Max to let him by, could Max have done it more obviously, like to the side of the track? Maybe a bit more than he did. RB were within their rihgts to do it strategically so no blame there. it just felt very unsafe for both drivers to do it how it was done. Max was taking the middle of the track. Lewis was probably too close to Max, but he didn't understand what was going on, but if you don't understand why follow so close? Max did brake though, not just slow down, he braked, which is very dangerous. All in all, I think the crash was down to a bad track for letting someone past, two rivals feeling the pressure, poor FIA communication, a perfect storm really.

Pretty fair analysis imo, nice one bud.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:29 pm

Red Bull have apologised for lying about the telemetry data after the race and accept the Verstappen DID actually break in front of Lewis Hamilton - this was on a 300kph straight with his car in the middle of the track, no less.
This was clearly Verstappen attempt to take Hamilton or both of them out of the race and retain his points advantage.
Shouldn't be allowed to race again.
The sport is dangerous enough without lunatics like Verstappen trying to crash.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Rockape » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:15 pm

Probably true, as there’s no doubt Max struggles to control the red mist descending. The problem is…..there would be pandemonium if they denied the fans the most exciting finish to a season…..EVER!
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:21 pm

Rockape wrote:Probably true, as there’s no doubt Max struggles to control the red mist descending. The problem is…..there would be pandemonium if they denied the fans the most exciting finish to a season…..EVER!

It has the potential to be a disaster for F1.
Does anyone actually believe Verstappen won't try and run Hamilton off the track at even the slightest sign he is going to lose the race?
The guy is not mentally stable and has no business being in a F1 car.

Could be even worse if he kills someone.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Royal Gooner » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:21 pm

Rockape wrote:Probably true, as there’s no doubt Max struggles to control the red mist descending. The problem is…..there would be pandemonium if they denied the fans the most exciting finish to a season…..EVER!

The very least they should have done was drop him down to third. That way it would have been because he would actually have to work hard for it. Currently he will just try ram Lewis off the track any time knowing he'll win.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

PreviousNext

Return to Motor Sport