Problems accessing forum

Logging in issues, general problems with the forum, or make a suggestion. We are always ready to listen!

Problems accessing forum

Postby gzagee » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:11 pm

Not sure if anyone else had a problem but I have only been getting intermittent access.
Everything okay Trina?
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Re: Problems accessing forum

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:48 pm

I had trouble getting on earlier too.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:50 pm

me too
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Pudpop » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:18 pm

Yeah I had a 404 Gateway timeout for about an hour.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby gzagee » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:55 pm

Had a 502 gateway thingy for about 20mins this evening. Just got on now.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Git » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:56 pm

gzagee wrote:Had a 502 gateway thingy for about 20mins this evening. Just got on now.

+1
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Massa » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:21 pm

Ellimist?
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Ellimist » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:39 am

Seems like there was a network problem yesterday. Unlike intermittent access, like you guys had, I couldn't even access the site/server after noon. The syslog shows that the server was up all the time, so must have been a network issue.

This is what I have from my upstream provider -

A large DDoS of over 10 Gbps saturated a rack link and a quite a few nodes have been experiencing heavy packet loss since yesterday. We are working to resolve the situation as quickly as possible.
Bitcoin - 1Lu7GztP9YyJdt9Zt3hEaXjcAkgQZNuVLC
Ellimist
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby AAIRE99 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:29 am

I can help you lot with tech support, im a senior technical engineer :)

i just uninstalled exchange of a server remotely on a bank holiday and the server just died :(

try changing the dns servers on your pcs :o try 8.8.4.4 as a dns server.
if you cant connect try ping the site, then traceroute it see if it fails off, then change your dns and see if that fixes it :o.
if its a network problem where the website is being hosted everyone will experience the issue but it only seems to be some right :P

or try to browse the site by IP address. :o dns is when you type in a website name that always translates to a 4 block ip address like 182.112.85.60 example.

C:\Users\Administrator>nslookup goonersworld.co.uk
Server: gwlogin.net
Address: 192.168.192.1

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: goonersworld.co.uk
Addresses: 2a00:dcc0:eda:3754:247:55:d929:3a53
37.247.54.18 is the ip address for goonersworld.co.uk , however i still cant figure out how to browse to that. i think you have to browse to 37.247.54.18/something

just for the record if someone could con firm how to access the site by IP :) please
AAIRE99
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ellimist » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:30 pm

Browsing by IP is disabled because it would lead to duplicate content and a corresponding penalty in SERP rankings by Google.

If it's a network issue, accessing by IP will not do you any good, as the network connecting the IP to the rest of the internet is disconnected or saturated (as in the case of a DDoS) . On the other hand, if it's a DNS issue, ie, people cannot resolve goonersworld.co.uk to it's IP addresses, typing the IP directly will help.

Also, you are incorrect in assuming that every site can be accessed by its IP. Nowadays, name-based virtual hosts are very common, so you have thousands of sites on a single server/IP, more so due to the shortage of IPv4 IPs.
Ellimist
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby AAIRE99 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:47 pm

web hosting is not a forte of mine :o re browse by ip

i know what ddos is obv, what exactly is being ddosd to take down the site? if you have proper firewall security in front of your web servers that should prevent ddos attacks. that ip i pulled off that nslookup is probably a firewall.

browsing by ip is disabled but if theres a dns issue you say browsing by ip will help? lost.

ye i know that the site will share the server in 99% of instances, so if browsing by ip you will need the correct directory structure after the ip to access the site you want to access right??

ye ipv6 is becoming a reality, i see them ipv6 addresses and they scare me lol.

ipv4 till i die :D
AAIRE99
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ellimist » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:52 pm

billo2007 wrote:i know what ddos is obv, what exactly is being ddosd to take down the site? if you have proper firewall security in front of your web servers that should prevent ddos attacks. that ip i pulled off that nslookup is probably a firewall.

This site isn't being targeted, but a site in a server in the rack where my server is on was being targeted. Servers are generally not standalone, like PCs. High-density is a desirable trait in a data-center as it aids in cooling and management. Multiple servers are stacked in racks (this is a picture) which may have a single uplink to the network. In this case, one of the sites, hosted on one of the servers in the rack was under a DDoS and it saturated the uplink.

billo2007 wrote:browsing by ip is disabled but if theres a dns issue you say browsing by ip will help? lost.

If, theoretically, browsing by IP were enabled, it would have helped only in the case of a DNS outage, not during a network outage.

billo2007 wrote:ye i know that the site will share the server in 99% of instances, so if browsing by ip you will need the correct directory structure after the ip to access the site you want to access right??

Not every server is structured like that. You are talking about a typical cPanel install, where each user is given a home directory which can be browsed by IP. Something like http://37.247.54.18/~trina/goonersworld.co.uk. This server is intentionally not structured like that and/or not configured to show directory listing. Security through obscurity.

billo2007 wrote:ye ipv6 is becoming a reality, i see them ipv6 addresses and they scare me lol.

ipv4 till i die :D

Embrace the future. Or you may find yourself outdated. IPv6 is really easy, if you think about it. 128 bits instead of 32 bits, coloned hexadecimal instead of dotted decimal, bits and pieces of specific shortcode like :: instead of :0000:0000: and :3: instead of :0003:. Routing IPv6 IPs is also highly simplified when compared to v4s.
Ellimist
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:56 pm

:dizzy: :smart:
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby AAIRE99 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:50 pm

your superior to me for sure but like i say i dont do web hosting of any kind.

I am very familiar with complicated networks,data centres etc and alot of the work i have done in my life on the serious end of it is big server installs. Im mostly VMware, Hyper V , HP Pliant physicals, Dell Poweredge Physicals, All versions of windows operating systems, an exchange expert, SQL database administrator not programmer, registry and command line on windows, powershell on request in windows, vb on request, batch on request. :O thats more my shit to be honest.
I dont really understand your description of IPV6 but i guess my understanding before reading that would be look at the addresses clearly we can get more of them right?

im not scared of change, im not scared of anything in IT, thats what made me a great engineer, developing the courage to tackle any problem. in my younger years i sucked.

your breaking the ips down into pure code in your description which i dont understand of the top of my head i guess i would have to research a bit to understand it.

Last week i did 2 X SBS migrations from SBS 2003 to SBS 2011.

im also about to lose my job lol. i work in managed IT , having issues with customer services. said they would have let me go but im doing too much work for them in these first 3 months. had no choice but to take the job for finance reasons, i specifically wanted to work for an internal IT team without having to deal with retarded customers every day.
AAIRE99
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Git » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

Plymöuth Gööner wrote::dizzy: :smart:

+1
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Next