Twitter rumours thread

Logging in issues, general problems with the forum, or make a suggestion. We are always ready to listen!

Re: Twitter rumours thread

Postby Yorkyblue » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:03 pm

Maybe it would be better to have a 'shit rumours' thread.

Half the time people post crap and even say its crap cause of where it's from.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby StLGooner » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:08 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:I don't think it would be a dead thread chavster. Actually I think it would be very active given the sheer amount of guff that twitter throws up and loads would read it. I just think it's a better idea to have a dedicated twitter thread where it's up to the reader to put stock in the rumours than the entire forum essentially acting as that thread

It's up to the reader to put stock in the rumors anyway, not matter where they're from, like I already said 3 times. :dontknow: Most on here always say they won't believe it until it's announced on the Arsenal site anyway. I honestly don't see how it could be any better. A rumor is a rumor is a rumor, it doesn't matter where it comes from.

You're all just wasting your breath on me anyway, it ain't my decision.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:11 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
UFGN wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:Like I said, even rumors that become true start out at shit sources sometimes, in fact it is the shit sources that actually announce them first most of the time, and bad rumors can still be announce on so called good sources as well, so yes, you should always use your own filter. I thought that would be common sense.

But people clearly arent using any common sense. They are just posting any old twitter shite they see. If that wasnt the case this thread wouldnt exist would it. Mods seem to get very defensive when they are asked to moderate.

But it's pointless. You just want to separate the twitter rumors from others, when you can just do that yourself by disregarding them. Why make a thread that only one or two people is going to post in, and nobody is going to read?

I'm not being defensive, because there would actually be nothing to moderate, it's just a pointless idea. It's not that hard to just ignore it is it? :dizzy:

But thats just it. It IS hard to ignore it. It becomes impossible to tell which comments have been caursed by some mindless twitter rubbish, so you end up having to read through pages and pages of crap to work out whats what.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Dejan » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:18 pm

Yorkyblue wrote::lol:

I think the work needs to come from outside GW. Someone needs to take twitter down!

or just assassinate TRA or cut his internet connection??

:grin:
Last edited by Dejan on Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:18 pm

UFGN wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:
UFGN wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:Like I said, even rumors that become true start out at shit sources sometimes, in fact it is the shit sources that actually announce them first most of the time, and bad rumors can still be announce on so called good sources as well, so yes, you should always use your own filter. I thought that would be common sense.

But people clearly arent using any common sense. They are just posting any old twitter shite they see. If that wasnt the case this thread wouldnt exist would it. Mods seem to get very defensive when they are asked to moderate.

But it's pointless. You just want to separate the twitter rumors from others, when you can just do that yourself by disregarding them. Why make a thread that only one or two people is going to post in, and nobody is going to read?

I'm not being defensive, because there would actually be nothing to moderate, it's just a pointless idea. It's not that hard to just ignore it is it? :dizzy:

But thats just it. It IS hard to ignore it. It becomes impossible to tell which comments have been caursed by some mindless twitter rubbish, so you end up having to read through pages and pages of crap to work out whats what.

I don't seem to have that problem. :dontknow:

Anyway, like I told Cyn, you're trying to convince the wrong person. I could care less if there is one or not, it's not going to create any more work for us mods (even if it did I wouldn't care), I just don't see the point. Plus, I can see people still posting twitter rumors in the normal threads and then everyone having a go at him/her cause they're doing it wrong. We don't need people to scare new members off like that. Gunngunn does that enough. ;)
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Pudpop » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:26 pm

Dejan wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote::lol:

I think the work needs to come from outside GW. Someone needs to take twitter down!

or just assassinate TRA or cut his internet connection??

:grin:

He's busy moving. Let's take this opportunity :sneaky:
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Massa » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:30 pm

No need for a list of reputable sources etc. Just a thread for twitter rumours and boom sorted
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby AFC10 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:53 pm

ChVint22 wrote:Yea, rumors whether they're shit or not create discussion, and that is the whole point of the forum.

If you don't like twitter rumors then just don't engage in the discussion.

Not really, guarantee over 3/4 of the twitter rumours that have been out in here have been laughed at or someone will say 'definitely got that from twatter, it's bullshit'... comments like that! doesn't creat discussion just more about how reliable the guy is.. that's why we need a rumour thread for twitter IMO, seen it happen loads on here.

Massa wrote:No need for a list of reputable sources etc. Just a thread for twitter rumours and boom sorted

What he said.
AFC10
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby mg86 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:56 pm

For instance, I'm pretty sure nothing has materialized from twitter for us, and both Podolski and Giroud were first announced by the papers.
Last edited by mg86 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby StLGooner » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:04 pm

RVP10 wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:Yea, rumors whether they're shit or not create discussion, and that is the whole point of the forum.

If you don't like twitter rumors then just don't engage in the discussion.

Not really, guarantee over 3/4 of the twitter rumours that have been out in here have been laughed at or someone will say 'definitely got that from twatter, it's bullshit'... comments like that! doesn't creat discussion just more about how reliable the guy is.. that's why we need a rumour thread for twitter IMO, seen it happen loads on here.

Massa wrote:No need for a list of reputable sources etc. Just a thread for twitter rumours and boom sorted

What he said.

Then that would be even more of a reason why we don't need one.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby TRA Dial Square » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:52 pm

Would be 101% REDUNDANT...

Rumours are rumours, end of. Doesn't matter if they come from Twitter, Newspapers or SSN.

TBH Sky Sports News f***ing troll people w/ their "Sky Sources believe" more than Twitter anyway; as I've said several times their sources ARE Twitter...

As a prime example. Some guy @Jelaverton made up a rumour a few days ago about Owen possibly having a medical at Everton, as a joke... The Echo up north is now plugging this rumour.

There's no such thing as Credible, Nonsensical or pure BS rumours... Another example of this is nobody ever believed until he turned up, City would sign Robinho.

The rumours thread is for rumours, end of.
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:01 am

Oh well, you said "end of" so that must be that then.

If you cant see how much annoyance yours (and others) constant referring to twitter has caursed from reading this thread, then really you cant have much respect for other users. I think youre a good contributer but show some humility on this ffs because frankly it wasnt as big a problem before you joined.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby TRA Dial Square » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:30 am

UFGN wrote:Oh well, you said "end of" so that must be that then.

If you cant see how much annoyance yours (and others) constant referring to twitter has caursed from reading this thread, then really you cant have much respect for other users. I think youre a good contributer but show some humility on this ffs because frankly it wasnt as big a problem before you joined.

The "End of" was referring to Rumours being rumours, which they are... There's no question about that, being 'end of'. Never said it was the end of the discussion.

And I didn't create Twitter... If that form of media didn't exist, people wouldn't be using it... You cannot solely blame me for it being a 'problem'. That's just lazy debating.

You also cannot differentiate between a newspaper's 'rumour/gossip', SSN's 'rumour/gossip' and Twitter's 'rumour/gossip' it's just not possible.

As I stated here, and in other threads on a good few occasions... SSN use Twitter as their 'sources' most of the time, it's evident.

Reporters are using Twitter more and more now also, esp' to promote their "rumours" a day before their written/typed story ends up in the newspaper/on the papers website.

What we can agree on is that due to Twitter, rumours are obviously easier to spread. And I made a suggestion the other week which was typically ignored.

That suggestion being that people (myself OBVIOUSLY included considering I'm apparently the main one to blame), "filter" and use common sense (IF it's possible considering the above) on what rumours to post here.

But I can guarantee as I also said previously if we did that... That it would make the rumour mill section completely redundant. It's called The Rumour Mill, for a reason.

It isn't called the "Let's stick all the transfers that actually happen, once it's on Arse.com" Mill.

The entire point of a rumour is to debate it's credibility, stupidity, realism or downright bullshit-edness (?) If people are going to find it annoying, rather than fun/funny/an amusing thing to debate on then :dontknow:
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:52 am

Yes you have flogged that SSN argument to death. It isnt the point at all. I dont watch SSN and I dont trust murdoch press. I trust press wiith a long history of integrety, eg BBC, independent.. And although their journalists may use twitter themselves, by the time it gets onto a high quality web site with an editorial team to answer to, it does carry more weight and is overall more likely to be worth reading.

And really I havent seen any evidence at all of people botheing to filter what they post on GW. Every last bit of nonsense off Twitter seems to end up on here.

UFGN

Postby Zedie » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:55 am

TRA Dial Square wrote:
UFGN wrote:Oh well, you said "end of" so that must be that then.

The "End of" was referring to Rumours being rumours, which they are... There's no question about that, being 'end of'. Never said it was the end of the discussion.

And I didn't create Twitter... If that form of media didn't exist, people wouldn't be using it... You cannot solely blame me for it being a 'problem'. That's just lazy debating.

You also cannot differentiate between a newspaper's 'rumour/gossip', SSN's 'rumour/gossip' and Twitter's 'rumour/gossip' it's just not possible.

As I stated here, and in other threads on a good few occasions... SSN use Twitter as their 'sources' most of the time, it's evident.

Reporters are using Twitter more and more now also, esp' to promote their "rumours" a day before their written/typed story ends up in the newspaper/on the papers website.

What we can agree on is that due to Twitter, rumours are obviously easier to spread. And I made a suggestion the other week which was typically ignored.

That suggestion being that people (myself OBVIOUSLY included considering I'm apparently the main one to blame), "filter" and use common sense (IF it's possible considering the above) on what rumours to post here.

But I can guarantee as I also said previously if we did that... That it would make the rumour mill section completely redundant. It's called The Rumour Mill, for a reason.

It isn't called the "Let's stick all the transfers that actually happen, once it's on Arse.com" Mill.

The entire point of a rumour is to debate it's credibility, stupidity, realism or downright bullshit-edness (?) If people are going to find it annoying, rather than fun/funny/an amusing thing to debate on then :dontknow:

All very good points.

Twitter is here to stay. Long gone are the days when twitter stood seperately from newspapers and tv reports, it's just one big ball of media poop now.

Tbf, twitter manages to spread rumours faster and more efficiently than the papers ever could it's even easier for the modern lazy journalist to push up their readership/status using it. I for one wouldn't be able to decipher rumour bullshit when their pixilated or printed, lies are still lies!

Don't hate the medium, hate the pricks that misuse the medium.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions & Feedback